• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Buying more Harris!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fasteddy64

My department just agreed to buy 101 XG-75 portables, 33 XG-75 mobiles, 16 XG-25 mobiles and 15 XG-75 desktops.
Woo-hoo!!

otter9309

Good luck with that Eddy!

YlPdnQ.jpg

Last edited:

PACNWDude

I like my Unity XG-100P, but probably going to go with Motorola next time.

Harris makes excellent military radios though. PRC-152 and 117 series for instance.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I always wanted an XG100P, but after the agency I work for acquired a few thousand of them, I changed my mind. We are seeing radios come in with ridiculous maintenance issues that we never had with Motorola. Battery misalignment due to dropping the radio (can't remove or put on battery). PTT button breaking and having to send the entire radio back to Harris for replacement and the list goes on.

I wish you the best of luck with your Harris adventure.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I always wanted an XG100P, but after the agency I work for acquired a few thousand of them, I changed my mind. We are seeing radios come in with ridiculous maintenance issues that we never had with Motorola. Battery misalignment due to dropping the radio (can't remove or put on battery). PTT button breaking and having to send the entire radio back to Harris for replacement and the list goes on.

I wish you the best of luck with your Harris adventure.

Yeah that is true. I've noticed even with the XG 25P series that the newer Harris radios function well, but durability to withstand daily wear and tear has gone out the window. There not nearly as durable as older models in the Jaguar and P series radios. Cannot comment on the new 200p radio though. Never actually seen one in person yet. Though the 100P SERIES like you mentioned I've seen and have heard many stories of the same issues. Batteries don't align after dropped and if not used with speaker mic the PTT button wear out after just over a year of daily use ( pathetic).

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Chargers, especially vehicle chargers, routinely break due to misalignment of the radio when inserting into the charger. Once this occurs, the pins will no longer line up on the radio properly and the charge cycle will fail. Harris will replace the chargers, but once the warranty is expired, then you are SOL. We are just now starting to see all of the problems as the warranty on our first run products has expired.

RayAir

I wish they'd upgrade our radios. We are still carrying Harris P7200's. They are great radios but they could double as impact weapons.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I wish they'd upgrade our radios. We are still carrying Harris P7200's. They are great radios but they could double as impact weapons.

Newer XG model Harris radios are for sure noticeably lighter. With modern battery technology the weight of them and even size overall has significantly dropped. Have your department opt for the p7300 series. I do believe they are lighter the the 7200 series and you'll still maintain your IMBE vocoder. It's not until you enter the XG series where the AMBE 2 Vocoders became standard equipment on radios ( though I could be wrong;depending on what mode your operating in)

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
We have had excellent luck with our 7100 series mobiles and portables so we decided to stay with Harris.

If you'd had some XTS5Ks to deploy for evaluation, there's absolutely no way you'd have stuck with Harris.

I have multiple examples of both the 7100 portables and 5Ks as well. There's really no comparison. The 7100 works and is reliable but may be the worst sounding portable radio ever made in the public safety market. The 5K simply outclasses the 7100. It isn't even close.

For virtually every kind of radio activity I had to deal with in my years as a full time radio tech, I kept a
variety of radios programmed up to support my customers, and to support almost any of them I
could grab a 7100 off the shelf and use it, or grab a 5000 off the shelf and use it. After trying both, many
times in many applications, I just eventually stopped using the 7100s entirely except for using them on a proprietary (edacs) system where the 5K won't work.

Going inside them, the general impression is "M/A-Com designed the jaguar/7100 series radios that's built cheap like a 90's cell phone. But Motorola really ENGINEERED a superlative platform with the XTS5000.".

Really, it's true. A P7100 is constructed almost exactly the same way as a Nokia 2160. CHEAP.

blockhead1

Gee, that is too bad, it's been 11 months, and our system isn't stable enough to migrate to P2.
Gave back the XG-100p's due to poor performance, and the other audio issues are to numerous to mention.
Good luck.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Our system is stable, but like Elroy pointed out, the radios just aren't holding up to the abuse our users put them through.

Bad thing about the XTS5K is that Motorola no longer services them and parts are not available on MOL.

FDRadioguy777

I have used the XG-75 a lot. It is a very durable radio. The battery design is a little odd, but have not had problems with it. I have used the XTS 5000 before and I can honestly say I really enjoyed switching all equipment over to Harris. Harris has turned out to be more user friendly for us and they have all held up pretty well. I still use the Motorola XTS radios occasionally. As for the audio in the P7100's I have never had a problem with it. Now the P7200's that's a different story...

As for the picture, I am guessing that's just broken battery clips.

Status
Not open for further replies.