• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scan all sites on Unity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
So new to a Unity. I'm wondering - I'm doing non affiliate trunking. I've entered all the control channels. Can I leave Site ID blank, will it scan all sites? I don't have the radio with, but I did remove Site ID in the programming, and it seemed to have 'taken', but not sure if the radio will be happy and actually 'program' it.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
No suggestions? Is this not possible? Or am I not using the right wording?

I did try leaving site ID blank, and not receiving anything, so looks like that won't work.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Are you trying to roam? Or just trying to scan TGs from multiple sites?

If you are trying to roam, then enhanced CC is what you want. When you select that, the RFSS and Site ID fields grey out and it scans for sites in that SYSID. (Basically, it's actually a lot more complex).

If you are trying to scan multiple sites to hear site specific TGs (like a scanner), I'm not sure that is possible. Other than maybe setting the roaming thresholds so low it roams even on a strong signal, but that might just lock the radio into constant roaming with no audio.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber

If you are trying to roam, then enhanced CC is what you want. When you select that, the RFSS and Site ID fields grey out and it scans for sites in that SYSID. (Basically, it's actually a lot more complex).

If you are trying to scan multiple sites to hear site specific TGs (like a scanner), I'm not sure that is possible. Other than maybe setting the roaming thresholds so low it roams even on a strong signal, but that might just lock the radio into constant roaming with no audio.

Coverage from most sites is pretty good, but there are some tg's that may not go over all sites.. But at that time, it may not be in the coverage area anyway (usually those are smaller sites and area specific TG's...)

Ok, I'll try enhanced CC scan. Thanks :)

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber

So it seems to not receive anything now with enhanced CC scan - my guess is it's picking a site that's not carrying the traffic? Maybe I just need to find the best site that will generally carry the traffic I want to hear and use that...

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
Radios were programmed up with Fixed ProScan - what's the difference between that and Dynamic ProScan?

Hatch25

Radios were programmed up with Fixed ProScan - what's the difference between that and Dynamic ProScan?
In Fixed ProScan the radio only scans systems defined in the system scan list. Each scan list is unique to each trunked system.

In Dynamic ProScan the radio builds its scan list from adjacency messages received over the air.

Enhanced CC was developed specifically to P25 and uses multiple factors and algorithms (some modifiable) to get you to roam to specific sites.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Additional info on Dynamic ProScan

I would add to what Hatch25 said, that when running DYNAMIC ProScan, it the Adjacency Table (which is transmitted on the Control Channel every 26 seconds giving the data on surrounding sites) is not transmitted for any reason (database updates, maintenance, etc.), the radio will revert the the FIXED ProScan table as a backup.

A lot of people forget this tidbit, and fail to populate the fixed list in the radio programming.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
So if I understand, my best bet is Enhanced Control Channel? Will this work for Non Affiliate trunking? It should then find all control channels and find the best / strongest signal?

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
So what I did is put all control channels in Trunked Sets, and set Enhanced Control Channel. There's a few talkgroups I'm missing. I believe the problem is that this talkgroup isn't broadcast over all sites - only certain sites, and that site may not be the strongest signal. So should the Unity look on all sites for that talkgroup?

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
So what I did is put all control channels in Trunked Sets, and set Enhanced Control Channel. There's a few talkgroups I'm missing. I believe the problem is that this talkgroup isn't broadcast over all sites - only certain sites, and that site may not be the strongest signal. So should the Unity look on all sites for that talkgroup?

Anyone have any input?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
By design, the radio will not do what you are wanting it to do.

A public safety radio is not meant to be used as a scan-all-the-things radio. It is meant to sit on a channel and wait for a call, and scan a FEW channels in the background in the event someone calls on a secondary channel. Also, the radio will only hear the calls on the site it is monitoring. It does not care what other sites are transmitting, it will drag the channel you are sitting on to the site you are on if needed (if login/affiliation is enabled). Otherwise, in this "passive" mode, the radio is at the mercy of whatever the site happens to be transmitting. There could be a hot call on the town over with lots of chatter but your site doesn't have any radios affiliated to that group, so none of it makes it there. The radio will not look for the group elsewhere, its priority is to find the site with the best signal (these are designed with life-preservation in mind, i.e. needs to be able to get out all the time), and just bring the group with it. Popular channels that are regularly scanned by end users can be forced to all the sites in a region (e.g. a car-car or "chit chat" channel). That way, a user that primarily sits on the main dispatch channel will still hear the supervisor call for them without the need for dispatch to tell them to switch over.

Your best bet is to either A. accept that hearing everything everywhere is just not possible. or B. compromise and set the radio up to be site-selectable, that way you can at least lock the radio onto the site with the most traffic instead of letting it roam where it wants.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
By design, the radio will not do what you are wanting it to do.

A public safety radio is not meant to be used as a scan-all-the-things radio. It is meant to sit on a channel and wait for a call, and scan a FEW channels in the background in the event someone calls on a secondary channel. Also, the radio will only hear the calls on the site it is monitoring. It does not care what other sites are transmitting, it will drag the channel you are sitting on to the site you are on if needed (if login/affiliation is enabled). Otherwise, in this "passive" mode, the radio is at the mercy of whatever the site happens to be transmitting. There could be a hot call on the town over with lots of chatter but your site doesn't have any radios affiliated to that group, so none of it makes it there. The radio will not look for the group elsewhere, its priority is to find the site with the best signal (these are designed with life-preservation in mind, i.e. needs to be able to get out all the time), and just bring the group with it. Popular channels that are regularly scanned by end users can be forced to all the sites in a region (e.g. a car-car or "chit chat" channel). That way, a user that primarily sits on the main dispatch channel will still hear the supervisor call for them without the need for dispatch to tell them to switch over.

Your best bet is to either A. accept that hearing everything everywhere is just not possible. or B. compromise and set the radio up to be site-selectable, that way you can at least lock the radio onto the site with the most traffic instead of letting it roam where it wants.

Well, if I can find out what site is being used for that channel, is it possible. to use enhanced control channel and set that one site as preffered? Or would I then miss other traffic if it doesn't come from that site?

I didn't see any way to set a specific talkgroup as say 'slaved' to a certain site..?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
Yes you can set a site to be preferred with the EnhCC option, but its a LOT easier to configure it the right way using Fixed ProScan and just set all the system and site parameters to the site you need to monitor.

You can set that up using the "Preferred Sys Table" button. But that's the catch, its "preferred" not forced. It will use the ProScan/ProSound options menu to determine what a priority/non priority system is. So if the site you are on isn't within the priority specs, it will still roam off to another site. Best practice for this use case would be to create a system in the radio for each site you want to monitor, sharing the same group set between them.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
So... I ran the system on my Uniden Scanner. Found the talkgroups I want. Looked at the data from Proscan. I could see what (voice?) channel is being used. Tied that to the control channel that freq is on. Got the site. I set the Unity to Fixed ProScan and set the RFFS/ Site ID of that site.

I get absolutely no signal on the Unity. It sits at scanning control channel. But I receive it on my base scanner with a crappy inside whip antenna on the back of the scanner. I could put the control channel in as an analog frequency and see if I hear it on the Unity?

Radioman96p71

Feed Provider
I would say that you have something not programmed right into the Unity. I'm not real familiar with the output of those scanners but maybe it is in decimal and needs to be converted? There are also some systems that use a NAC (system access) code that is not the same as the SID. Might be a good place to start.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
I would say that you have something not programmed right into the Unity. I'm not real familiar with the output of those scanners but maybe it is in decimal and needs to be converted? There are also some systems that use a NAC (system access) code that is not the same as the SID. Might be a good place to start.

Well - I'm programming the TG exactly the same as the other TG's....
There should be no NAC. I had this programmed into a XTL5000 in my car, and received the talkgroup when I was driving around (have since re-programmed the radio).. But maybe I have something wrong, since if I select another site, it works, just doesn't receive that talkgroup.

gesucks

NAC has everything to do with it. If you are on a Moto system where the NAC at the site is not the same as the SYS ID, and you do not enter the correct NAC under SYSTEM NAC in RPM, ProScan and Dymanic ProScan will never work.

phirephoto

Premium Subscriber
NAC has everything to do with it. If you are on a Moto system where the NAC at the site is not the same as the SYS ID, and you do not enter the correct NAC under SYSTEM NAC in RPM, ProScan and Dymanic ProScan will never work.

So could the NAC only apply to certain TG's?

ProScan and Dynamic Scan work for other TG's, but not these few I'm trying to monitor. So could it still be a NAC issue

Status
Not open for further replies.