• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

M7100 Programming Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm a complete n00b here on the Harris MA/COM stuff. I've programmed Motorola stuff in the past without problems.

I picked up a VHF M7100 on eBay for Ham bands and such. Auction included a 15 pin to DB9 connection. I am trying to use that to program the radio or atleast query the radio.

When I use either programmer or maintenance it error says it can not initialize the radio. The radio does go blank screen but nothing else happens. How do I know if it's a problem in the radio, software, cable etc? Where do I go from here? Is there any hope?

Thanks everyone for help!

DisasterGuy

Many things could be going on here. To start you say you are using programmer. Programmer is pretty obsolete (we use it only for a few legacy Orion's). First step should be to read it with the current version of RPM.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Many things could be going on here. To start you say you are using programmer. Programmer is pretty obsolete (we use it only for a few legacy Orion's). First step should be to read it with the current version of RPM.

So I'm kinda hosed then without purchasing a super expensive license right?

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
If, and that is a big if, you can verify the features from the radios menu and if you have access to RPM, you can revert the radio to be able to use Programmer. I did this with our RPM software at work. I saved the tuning data (took pictures while in Maintenance) and then followed the revert procedures. Radio was a basic radio until I put back in the feature string that was in the radio. In the end, all was fine, but if you miss a step or forget to the get the feature string out of the radio prior, then you will have a worthless brick.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
Nowhere near a paved road, away from the maddening
Programming Instructions

Programming Instructions for every radio covered by the software:

HELP > CONTENTS > Programming The Radio > select radio model...

Been in ever revision of Radio Programmer (aka: Programmer) since 2000, and all revisions of Radio Personality Manager (RPM) software applications.

Last edited:
Programming Instructions for every radio covered by the software:

HELP > CONTENTS > Programming The Radio > select radio model...

Been in ever revision of Radio Programmer (aka: Programmer) since 2000, and all revisions of Radio Personality Manager (RPM) software applications.

So that's not the cable I have.. my cable goes from a DB15 to a DB9 (serial) connection. Does that seem right?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
There are 2 ways of programming the Orion or M7100 radio. Either with the factory RIB box and the correct in line DB56 pin cable, or there is out there (I don't have it handy) someone made up one that plugs into the DB56 only without the head. I use the latter, you do have to turn the radio on with the special cable connected or the radio won't go into programming mode. Now as far as software, when you read it you will know whether you can use Programmer or forced into RPM. As stated you can revert it back to programmer, and instructions for that are located elsewhere.

Either way you will be able to read and save tuning and feature code using the Programmer utility program.

kb4cvn

Silent Key
The original (and much older) Orion programming cable (PN TQ3377) will not work on a Jaguar 725m or M7100 mobile radios.

However, the newer J725m/M7100 programming cables are backwards compatible with the Orion.

Also, a lesser known tidbit of knowledge is the older TQ3377 can be rewired to work on the newer radios! (not in any manual !!!)

k8qg

Premium Subscriber
K8QG here, I am interested in building the m7100 cable out of a orion prg. cable.
any pin out info ?
Thanks, Terry in ohio

kb4cvn

Silent Key
The original TQ-3377 Orion cable and the newer TQ-3409 "shop" cable are a tad different.

1-The 3409 cable does not require an interface box.
2-The 3409 cable uses a DB-9 to connect to the computer's serial port (or USB to serial adapter).
3-The older 3377 Orion cable can be converted into a 3409.

Cut the cable off a a few inches from the male/female DB-37. Get a DB-9 and several feet of multi-conductor cable. Simply copy the diagram for the 3409 cable contained in the HOW TO PROGRAM THE RADIO help screens, which is part of every revision of programming software since the early 2000's.

Status
Not open for further replies.