RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial, Professional Radio and Personal Radio > Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum

Harris / MA/COM / GE / Ericsson Forum - For general discussion of MA/COM EDACS and ProVoice systems, including equipment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2018, 9:35 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default XG-100P Widebanding

Just bought a used Unity XG-100. Looking in the feature set, it says that wide band is disabled. I was led to believe that all Harris radios came with both options even though in my mind I wasn't sure how since Motorola and Hytera aren't doing that with the "new" FCC narrowbanding rules. Anything that I can do to enable the feature? I'm looking to use this for talking on ham radio. Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2018, 9:39 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Any tips on getting the wideband upgrade? Feature list says that wideband is disabled. I'm a ham looking to mostly use on amateur service so the wide would be helpful. If not, I'll be narrowing out my machines (been meaning to), but no dice on machines I don't own.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:02 PM

I believe you have to write a justification to Harris , and they will send you a new feature string to enable it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2018, 7:02 AM
KE4FHH
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

As fast as the XG100 and XL200 are concerned, they can do wide band in the 2M portion. For whatever reason, they did not include the 70CM portion.
Old 11-09-2018, 8:28 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Later versions of XGP (above XGP2 IIRC) already allow the ham bands to operate with wideband selected. This only covers 144-148 and 440-450 MHz.
Polk County, Iowa
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Lead Wiki Manager
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Posting the same question in two different threads is known as cross-posting which is not typically allowed in the RadioReference forums.

"The whole world's living in a digital dream. It's not really there, it's all on the screen." -- WB6ACU
Old 11-09-2018, 1:16 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman96p71 View Post
Later versions of XGP (above XGP2 IIRC) already allow the ham bands to operate with wideband selected. This only covers 144-148 and 440-450 MHz.
Iím new to Harris. What does the XGP mean? How do I find out which version I have?
Old 11-09-2018, 2:59 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It's the version of firmware. Press the menu key, then arrow down to utilities. Then select Radio Info. That will give you the software version. I am using a mixture of R06K and R05C and neither one allows wideband in the UHF ham spectrum. VHF is good to go.
Old 11-09-2018, 3:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks. I will check that out tonight. What is the protocol for getting an update to the firmware? Will I lose current features with a firmware upgrade? I'm only concerned about getting wide on ham frequencies. My GMRS repeater is setup for narrow. I haven't tried anything on VHF ham band yet to see if it goes thru. Not a whole lot of VHF activity in Vegas.
Old 11-09-2018, 4:06 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You will not lose features, but you will lose the programming. The firmware is highly dependent on the version of RPM you have. If you are using RPM 10B, then I'd personally avoid using anything other than R02A. We are forced to use certain firmware versions due to us having to use RPM 14 for the XG100 and RPM 2 for the XL200.

In RPM, if I put in a UHF amateur frequency (440-450) and set it to wide-band, it lets me program the radio, but then the display shows "INVALID CHANNEL." If I put in a wide-band VHF (144-148), it works fine. This is the same for the XL200 and the XG100 radios that we have. I asked Harris if they could send me the feature code to enable wide-band, but have not heard back yet. We have thousands of the XG100 and I just don't like them at all. The XL200 looks promising, but there are still some short-comings in my opinion.

Last edited by rescue161; 11-09-2018 at 4:32 PM..
Old 11-09-2018, 4:11 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Okay. A lot of acronyms and model numbers. I'll check out my firmware version tonight and check back in. Generally speaking, to get the wide band entitlement/firmware, is there a fee? I know I've had to pay for the license with my Hytera DMR gear and some of my Motorola equipment. I assume that all of these companies probably use similar business practices.

As an aside, will the XG-100P do GESTAR?
Old 11-09-2018, 4:42 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm not sure on the cost as we don't use wide-band for our system. I just asked for the XL200s that they gave us to "put through the ringer." I was told that they'd just send us a new feature string. They are wanting us to buy the XL200, so they'll probably send it for free.

I don't have a radio with me currently, but looking in RPM, the GESTAR is shaded out. I am able to select MDC however.
Old 11-09-2018, 4:46 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
I don't have a radio with me currently, but looking in RPM, the GESTAR is shaded out. I am able to select MDC however.
Yeah, that's what I noticed, too. I sometimes like to turn MDC on just to "stir the pot." The GEStar is even more annoying sounding. Not a feature I'd pay for though.
Old 11-09-2018, 4:58 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

LOL

We use MDC on my GMRS repeaters for ID. I also have a console that can send inhibit/enable commands, so when I loan out radios that don't come back, I kill them over the air. It also annoys the crap out of the CCRs that may happen onto the repeaters. We don't hear the burst due to DOS, but they sure do, so they don't stick around.
Old 11-09-2018, 5:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

CCRs?

We use it on GMRS for ID, too. I also use it with my users in New York on my AllStar repeaters... locally here in Vegas it's used to stir the pot or for ID with New York when it's linked-up.
Old 11-09-2018, 5:03 PM
KE4FHH
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cheap Chinese Radios (Bow-Farts, etc)

My GMRS repeaters are linked as well. Nodes 23701 and 23703 on https://link.mygmrs.com/