What forum has more Hawaii traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Is there another forum somewhere that has more activity from Hawaii? I'm completely new, and would like to talk to some locals. There's not much going on here.

Thanks!

Sybex7254

Welcome! No other forum I'm aware of. As far as activity, this is pretty much it for Hawaii. Not a lot going on there, it's as laid back as the Islands are themselves.

A lot is due to the fact you cannot listen to the Police, Fire or EMS on Oahu because they use Digital Provoice. I live part time on the Big Island so never get the opportunity to be on Oahu with my scanner to truly tell you what else is worth listening to.

You also cannot properly monitor Maui due to their current LTR Multinet TRS, although I have had success listening to the individual channels in conventional mode. Maui is due to switch to a P25 TRS "soon". By soon I mean Hawaiian time, the TRS is up and "running" but not much heard on it yet and no word on when the switchover will be.

Kauai has a Motorola TRS but it's very quiet. And the Big Island is mostly VHF Conventional. See the Thread recently that covers that in some detail. The Big Island is also supposed to be standing up their own P25 TRS sometime in the near future.

There's also PACMERS and some other Military/Federal TRS' as well as the Statewide TRS (I've never heard a peep on it).

Basically there are things to listen to just not a lot of discussion about it here. You can go months without seeing a new thread.

HiloScanners

Hi tonythemediaguy,
Welcome to RR and to the Hawaii forum.

Sybex pretty much nailed it on the head.

If you have a question or want to discuss something why don't you put it out there and see what comes up? Or you can PM me if you want. The locals here are pretty laid back like Sybex mentioned but I think most are more than willing to help or discuss. Things do happen in Hawaiian time around here....which basically means it will happen when it happens. :)

Aloha,
HiloScanners

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Im suprised more people havent inquired as to why they cant find any information in the DB pertaining to Maui area Police and Fire scanning. I'll be traveling there next week, and was looking forward to bringing my 436HP.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears all police and fire coms are on an LTR system. Thus meaning "scanning" wont be possible. The messy way (and only way) would be to program a search or multiple frequencies of the LTR control channels. Doing the later is likely to make for some convoluted and confusing monitoring for a tourist, being as the convo may change to a diff frequency, and you never know exactly what it is your listening to.

Is this correct?

Sybex7254

Yes. Programming the LTR frequencies into the scanner in conventional mode is the only way to monitor Maui County Police Fire and EMS. Scanning in the conventional way can be a bit tricky BUT most of the conversations seem to take place on one frequency...mainly due to the fact that they aren't as busy as their Mainland counterparts. So you should be able to monitor 85-90% of a conversation on one frequency. Also note that during the work week the County Public Works department is also using the system so you will hear them as well so the percentage of entire conversations you hear may drop due to more channel changes on the LTR system.

854.2375 seems to be one of the main frequencies I hear traffic on. There are others and I "think" depending on where the repeater site is will determine what you hear. Then again I monitor them from the Big Island and reception is 5x5 with a back of set antenna. I could give you others but am back on the Mainland for the Holidays and wont be back until after the new year.

Also as I mentioned earlier, there is a new P25 TRS up and running for Maui County however it is still being worked on and no idea when Public Safety will migrate. It should be easier to monitor however (assuming they don't go encrypted). Hawaii County is also supposedly going to be standing up their own P25 TRS as well. When? Who knows. This happen in Hawaiian Time.

Last edited:

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply! So that leaves one to ask: What is the name of the LTR system they are using? Is it in the HI database?

Sybex7254

Yes is is...at least it was. Someone has marked it as Depreciated. I submitted a change to the Admins on that.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1004

I used this to see the frequencies used and did a search in that range and jotted down the most active ones and added those as conventional channels to my scanner. I also used a few of the reports available in the DB to see that there are other frequencies being used that aren't part of the LTR system listed above.

This is likely due to the fact that the old DB listed doesn't reflect the change in moving the 866-868 MHz frequencies down 15 MHz, to the 851-854 MHz band to bring this TRS in full compliance with all FCC regulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.