RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > Hawaii Radio Discussion Forum

Hawaii Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Hawaii.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 1:55 PM

Well, that G5 is a pricey little beast, it better work perfectly if they expect to sell it at that price.

Just as I was getting close to convincing the CFO that a $400 scanner was worth it...............
Sponsored links
Old 04-21-2017, 7:04 PM

Honestly I would stay with a BCD436HP and a BCD996P2. This is going to be the best scanner's on the market overall for the value. I have had every scanner possibly you can buy and these radios will keep you happy for the price.

The BCD536HP is a pretty good radio too. The work horse that has never had any kinds of issues is the BCD996P2. Hands down.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I'm still curious about bagdeppa's remarks regarding the G5, I am curious to know what system he was monitoring. I assumed he was referring to the new P25 system, but I don't see how that is possible considering the G5 is not capable of phase 2 yet.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allend View Post
Honestly I would stay with a BCD436HP and a BCD996P2. This is going to be the best scanner's on the market overall for the value. I have had every scanner possibly you can buy and these radios will keep you happy for the price.

The BCD536HP is a pretty good radio too. The work horse that has never had any kinds of issues is the BCD996P2. Hands down.
May just have to say the hell with it and get one of those two. Hate not being able to listen in on anything.. Wife really saw the need when we had a couple big brush fires makai of us. No danger, but she liked listening to the FD progress and where the fire was. Not being able to do that with the new system is a convincing argument for more radio(s).

I lean toward the 436 for the handheld aspect. Not really one to sit and listen these days. Still not clear if you can plug it into shore power for desktop use, or have to run on batteries for all listening.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

The 436 can be powered with the USB cable, either plugged into a computer or with a charging block. If you have a spare iPhone charging block or similar, I found that works.
Sponsored links

Old Today, 1:14 PM

Well, snagged a 536 instead off of Amazon Warehouse deals, for $332. Not portable, but if it works will get me going again. If it is useless, I can return it, unlike fleabay gambles.