Best portable shortwave receiver? (better than Kaito 1103)

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

I am looking to buy another shortwave receiver (portable).

I have owned eTon e100, Sangean ATS909, Sony 7600, and Kaito 1103. All were decent but the Kaito 1103 worked the best in my area. I am in the market for a portable that works as well as the 1103 (maybe even buy another 1103 but wanted to see others opinion.).

The 909 didn't work well at all for me. The 7600 was close to the 1103 but not as good. The E100 was junk in my area. The 1103 did the best for shortwave and MW listening. I am a casual listener and want some good suggestions.

Thanks for any information. Also looking to buy a used 1103 if you know where one might be.

mitaux8030

Silent Key
I've not had a lot of personal experience with many portables, but I know a good receiver when I hear it.
I love my Degen (Kaito) 1103. Best bang-for-ya-buck receiver I've ever had, and it works well enough to keep me satisfied - even to the detriment of a Kenwood TS2000 that hardly ever gets turned on here.
$98 delivered to my door, and that was when our Aussie dollar was weak against the US dollar too, about 18 months ago. It should be available for around USD $75 at the moment.

I've also got a Redsun RP2100 clone, and while it sounds better than the 1103, it does cost just a little more, and lacks SSB - but does have the facility to plug in an outboard BFO to give SSB reception. If you only need AM reception, the Redsun RP2100 / Kaito KA2100 would be my pick.
Need something with SSB already built in or something a bit smaller and more portable? Can't go past the 1103 I think.

N0IU

You might want to look at the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Shortwave Radio. The only reason it is "portable" is because it has a handle on it since it weighs over 14 lbs, but it will run on batteries. It runs right at $499 (and that's at Amazon!), but the title of your post is Best portable shortwave receiver?, right?

cpuerror

I have a Kaito 1102 which also has SSB, FM reception and many other features. Nice loud audio, built in battery charger, great portable radio for only about $50. The only complaint I would have about it is that the SSB filter could be a bit more narrow but for a portable of this size it performs very well.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Since noone has yet, I will put forth the Sony ICF-2010. They are a little bulky (not like the Satellite 800 of course), but they can really perform. Too bad they haven't been made in a few years, but they are still available on the used market and are a proven performer. Also comes in the European version ICF-2001D. Here is some info for you:

Sony ICF-2010, Sony icf2010 world band shortwave radio

SONY ICF-2010 Product Reviews

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
According to Passport to World Bands 2009, The Eaton E1 is the best portable we've ever tested.

safetyobc

My problem is I live in South Arkansas. It is hard to hear anything here. I can get some of the more powerful SW stations. I can get AM pretty well here at night.

However, I have never used a pro style SW receiver. I only used (and can only afford) portable shortwaves. I also can't string antennas up in my yard due to the neighborhood rules.

I have always been interested in SW especially military and hurricane ops. But I don't think I live in an area where I can realistically hear that type of traffic with my current set up.

The Kaito 1103 worked the best as far as sensitivity. I heard some military ops with the 1103 that I never heard with the others.

raisindot

You might want to look at the Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium Shortwave Radio. The only reason it is "portable" is because it has a handle on it since it weighs over 14 lbs, but it will run on batteries. It runs right at $499 (and that's at Amazon!), but the title of your post is Best portable shortwave receiver?, right?

I've been looking for a Sat 800 for awhile. The one on Amazon is used..they can't be purchased new anymore. The early 800s have such quality control issues that most people (including myself) won't buy one made before 2004. Don't buy one unless you know the serial number first.

Suzie

SCPD

QRT
I have always been interested in SW especially military and hurricane ops. But I don't think I live in an area where I can realistically hear that type of traffic with my current set up.

safetyobc,

As you hinted, you'll have a hard time listening to any of those "comms" on a *regular* basis without some kind of external antenna. There are a lot of stealthy designs - which you should look into if you're serious about SW.

Also, I'd recommend a better receiver. You can get a decent (used) SW receiver now for nearly the price of a high-end portable.

Portable radios are good for "strong" signals - but the front-end sensitivity can't compare to a decent SW receiver.

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
And let's not forget selectivity and dynamic range. Not to mention the controls on a full-sized receiver are larger and easier to manipulate (speaking for one who has bear paws for hands!).

Portable radios are good for "strong" signals - but the front-end sensitivity can't compare to a decent SW receiver.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I have purchased and sold more radios then I care to remember, but I have finally settled on the third Satellit 700 I've owned.
I realize that this is VERY subjective, but for quality control, selectivity, sensitivity, sound, ergonomics, sync. (yes...having had three 2010's as well, I understand they have better functionality in this area, as does the Lowe HF-150, which you might also consider. That just wasn't enough for me to choose the 2010), SSB, RDF, memories...
Well, I think you get the point. I consider this to be the best portable I have ever used and I cannot fathom ever letting this one go.

John, thecop@potonline.net
The Cyber World of KB2COP - KB2COP

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
I have never had the opportunity to use the Satellite 700 - but I have heard excellent things about it. I would definitely say why change when it works so well for you. I agree the 2010 is a really good receiver, and though I put that model out there, I honestly don't think it is likely the very best portable ever made. It does have it's issues and idiosyncrasies. Personally I am still using a Drake R8A, which I have no desire to change either.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Yep, the Drake R8 brings back memories. It was my first "real" shortwave receiver. I had it shipped 2-day UPS and received it the day before Thanksgiving in 1994. I had a decent 65-ft wire antenna with a Palomar balun and RG-8 coax already fed and waiting for the radio.

I got it about 9:30am that morning and hooked it up. It was a joy to hear WWV on 15megs - it sounded so beautiful and full. I then listened to hams on 20m in the uber-cool USB mode. (No more stinkin' BFO!!)

Good times.

PS. For the record, the Drake is a good radio especially for SW broadcast reception. But I wouldn't recommend it now. I think the R8-B fixed the huge power draw... while OFF..?

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if that issue was corrected or not. However, I don't have so much of an issue because I power mine off of an external 12VDC power supply that I run all my radios off of through a Rigrunner power distribution panel. But I agree, running them off of A/C can produce some heat!

Yes, the R8 series is super on SW, and a killer receiver for MW DX as well.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I used a 1103 all during hurricane Katrina and after and was well pleased with the performance on utility/ham USB, shortwave broadcasting, and AM broadcast from WRNO, nightly.

I've also read that the 1102 is an excellent performer as well.

I just added a Grundig G6 Buzz Alderin edition for grab and go.

If you want a portatop, the E1 is the best one I've used equal or better than my Sony 2010.

raisindot

If you want a portatop, the E1 is the best one I've used equal or better than my Sony 2010.

Thank you for your endorsement. After fruitlessly looking for a late model SW8 or Satellit 800, I'm breaking down and getting an E1 to be my "casual listener." I've heard mixed things about it--great performance, typical lousy Eton quality construction. I'm getting my new (and hoping it's a later model year) because I didn't want to risk getting a used model and having it break on me in six months with no warranty.

Suzie

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Dave,

How's that G6 compare to the 1103?

It works well on Short Wave, OK on SSB utilities/ham, dreadful on the Civil Air Band. It will overload on anything over a 10' wire, but works reasonably well on the pull up antenna.

Thank you for your endorsement. After fruitlessly looking for a late model SW8 or Satellit 800, I'm breaking down and getting an E1 to be my "casual listener." I've heard mixed things about it--great performance, typical lousy Eton quality construction. I'm getting my new (and hoping it's a later model year) because I didn't want to risk getting a used model and having it break on me in six months with no warranty.

Suzie

I purchased the E1 on Clarence price from Circuit City before they went out of business. The E1 was a refurbished model, most likely a return for display failure, but it has worked flawless to present. Some have reported bad performance and display failures on the refurbished ones, but I'm glad I made my purchase. I thought it was dead at first, but the contrast was turned all the way down initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.