RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW Equipment

HF/MW/LW Equipment For general and technical discussion of all receivers which cover the HF bands. For HF tranceiver discussion please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 11:09 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default RadioShack® Synthesized World Receiver

Great radio, I got rid of my aircastle and allied radios.

I didn't think it would be this good!

AND it has 20.00 off the price, 59.99...

Great radio!!!

Old 04-03-2014, 12:00 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Glad you're liking it!

Check out the thread I started last year about that radio for more reviews: RadioShack Synthesized World Receiver (Reviews?)

I never purchased the radio, but from the reviews I've seen it does seem to be a great SW radio for the price. I may have to pick one up if they're still $20 off.
Old 04-15-2014, 2:04 AM

I got one of these World Receivers last year (?), it's a Sangean 505 in Radio Shack paint.

Excellent for SW broadcast listening, great sound through headphones, great for Medium Wave, too (if you use a loop). In locations like mine, by itself it's a moderate MW DX receiver, but with a loop, it will pull a lot more stations, and for a small digital portable it has great MW selectivity. Others here, probably in higher MW signal areas, have said it works great on MW all by itself.

Main weakness is SSB reception, it will sometimes garble a bit on strong signals, or where pulse noise is present. It's the AGC. Just switch the RF attenuator from DX to Local and crank the volume up to compensate. There's enough gain in the radio to still make the SSB readable.

But, for the money, it's a great radio. Sangean generally doesn't make junk radios, at least in my experience with the brand. I'm more than satisfied with the World Receiver I got. I use mine nearly every day.