Clipper target

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

Hi I wanted to ask if anyone has heard of the clipper target it's advertised as a marine
Sw radio 30 to 30 and it's fairly cheap I would use it for data and it's advertised as a nav-tex quility decoder any reviews would be apreciated
I'm sorry if this should be somewhere else I just put it here because the question is about overal hf performance and not just nav-fax as it is advertised

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's not a decoder - it looks very similar to a Lowe HF150 radio. You would still need software and a connection to a PC to decode NAVTEX or FAX

The description is very clear that this is a receiver.....however I am left wondering whether this radio has been hardened against the salt air, which is the enemy of all consumer electronics (I kinda doubt it)

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As it appears to be limited to sideband only, and with 3.8 khz as the only option for selectivity, your best bet is to look elsewhere

Know of any hamfests in your area? (A good Google search will likely turn them up). You might find a better deal than getting a 750, and for about the same money. There are also SDRs in that price range that I understand do a good job of receiving HF (the AFEDRI is one) - if you're interested in that, go ask in our Software Defined Radio forum and check out what we have in our wiki....Mike

Last edited:

nanZor

Old thread, but I have a few notes about my Target HF3 right here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/hf...nasa-target-akd-si-tex-lowe-hf3-receiver.html

I really like the receiver, but just in case anyone follows some old links, DO NOT GET PRICE GOUGED, as many online sellers are asking ridiculous prices - sometimes twice or more than they are worth!

These *HF3 receivers were intended to be relatively inexpensive hf receivers for boaters, and not professional mariners.

My unit is the HF3/W, which has a dedicated line out for wefax, but I have not used it for that. I find it a vast improvement over the Grundig 750 in ssb/cw handling.

Still - don't get price gouged. One seller is asking about $750, and for that price, you can get a MUCH better radio(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.