Tecsun S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2kth

I was looking at these a while back and comparing to a used 800. The 800's I saw were much more expensive. Factoring in the age of the 800's and the design of the 750 I ended up with neither. I figure 800's are probably getting close to recap time and considering I have three or four radios already that need or likely need recapping I didn't want to add another to the mix. The 750 just doesn't seem to be what I was looking for in a nice desktop. I will point out though I have been extremely pleased with the Eton Satellit I bought last year. That radio does a really great job for a portable. Compared to my YachtBoy 400PE, DX398, and Tecsun PL680 the Satellit is my favorite. The PL680 is close while the 400PE and DX398 aren't that far behind that.

Blackswan73

The 800 was discontinued in 2005, kinda young for a recap. It is aso still serviceable by Drake's former head service tech, who purchased Drake's entire inventory of parts, returns, and services the radios personally. I purchased one on EBay, for $200. The BFO oscillator was not working. After purchasing a new synthesiser board from John, and installing in less than an hour, it worked perfectly. Oh, and the board was $50, making the total cost of my 800 $250.

kc2kth

Wow, from what I saw when I was looking that sounds like a steal, but looking on eBay now I see three there under $300, not too bad. I wasn't aware of the service possibilities - that's a real plus. Now you have me thinking about one of these again.

n2dpsky

I seriously looked at that model badged as a Grundig Satellite 750. I opted to go with the Tecsun PL-660 , which I've owned for years now and continue to be impressed by its sensitivity and quality sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.