RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW Equipment

HF/MW/LW Equipment - For general and technical discussion of all receivers which cover the HF bands. For HF tranceiver discussion please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2017, 4:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default CCRANE SKYWAVE w/SSB

I have a Skywave and enjoy it, especially for travel. Now they finally came out with a SSB option. I'm curious as to how it will stack up to the PL 880 and others.

https://www.ccrane.com/item/rad_ccra..._and_ssb_bands
Sponsored links
Old 11-02-2017, 8:29 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Overpriced, as usual.

The Digitech AR-1780 is a better value receiver and performs very well.
Old 11-19-2017, 7:43 PM
KA7EII's Avatar   Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Just got the CCrane Skywave SSB

Just got my new CCrane Skywave SSB radio. Same size as my wife's CCrane Skywave. AM, FM, WX and Airband all work just as well on the Skywave SSB as the regular Skywave.
So far, I am very satisfied with the SSB reception on the new Skywave SSB. It has one strange quirk - when you press the SSB button, it takes about 3 to 4 seconds to go into SSB mode. Five dashes appear on the display during this wait. After that, it is great. I enjoy aeronautical communications and I get good reception of San Francisco radio and aircraft flying between the west coast and Hawaii. This is on the built in whip antenna. Also been tuning through the ham bands and it does a nice job. There is an extra 0.5 KHz bandwidth on SSB mode so it is possible to do some casual CW listening. I like how the "Band" button works on shortwave. When in AM mode, it cycles through the shortwave broadcasting bands. In the SSB mode, it cycles through the ham radio bands. It even selects LSB on 160-30 meters and USB on 20 through 10.
The only other receiver I have to compare it with (other than my wife's Skywave) is my 18-year old Sangean ATS-909. The '909 is a bit more sensitive on MW AM broadcast band but selectivity is as good or better on the Skywave SSB. FM sensitivity is great and the FM selectivity of the Skywave SSB beats the '909 hands down. Using the built in whip antennas, the Skywave SSB is more sensitive than the '909. Haven't tried the included roll-up antenna on the Skywave SSB yet. Having a squelch is really nice for monitoring the VHF Airband. One thing the Skywave SSB does that the regular Skywave does not do - you can scan 10 VHF Airband frequencies on the Skywave SSB.
So far, I am very satisfied with this new, tiny shortwave receiver.
Old 11-20-2017, 9:03 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Nice review. I live in a condo with the usual antenna restrictions so I enjoy just sitting on the patio and tuning around on my Skywave. Based on your comments I will probably uograde. Thanks for the info, very helpful.
Old 11-27-2017, 9:44 AM

Sounds like a pretty good radio. DSP IF chip technology has really helped the hobby.
Sponsored links