RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW Equipment

HF/MW/LW Equipment - For general and technical discussion of all receivers which cover the HF bands. For HF tranceiver discussion please use the Amateur Radio Equipment forum above.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 9:34 PM

Default Grundig / Eton Executive Satellit - Question

Just bought a Grundig / Eton Executive Satellit from Amazon. Everything appears to work okay, but have a question, or perhaps it's a problem. I noticed the DX / Local switch on the side of the radio works on every mode ( FM, SW, AIR ) except the AM Broadcast Band. In other words, when I engage the Local switch you notice a definite reduction in sensitivity, EXCEPT the AM Broadcast band. When on the AM Broadcast band moving the switch back from Local to DX does absolutely nothing. I find this very strange. I assume it should work, however, the AM broadcast band for this radio appears to be very good and sensitive. So I'm not sure if it's working okay. I could not find any info on this......does anyone have this radio, and is it performing like mine ? Any information would help. If I have a bad unit, I'll send it back for a refund.
Sponsored links
Old 01-10-2018, 1:57 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

You may find that your apparent defect is in fact a design "feature". Some radios have a permanent attenuator in the BC band to prevent overload from nearby strong stations - does it mention anything in the manual or show a different sensitivity in the specifications?
Old 01-10-2018, 2:56 PM

Majoco, Thanks for your response. I got an answer from another person who did a review of this radio. It is indeed as you say. The AM Broadcast Band is not attenuated in any way, so therefore the DX / Local switch is disabled from frequencies 530-1700 khz. Regarding the specifications, there are none in the manual, which is quite strange. I looked several times, and no mention of sensitivity numbers. The features and bands are listed on the outside of the box, but that's it. Looks like my radio is fine. I was just concerned I may have had a unit that did not work properly. Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2018, 5:30 PM

And possibly the AM broadcast band uses only the built in ferrite rod antenna instead of the telescoping whip that is used for the rest of the receiver bands. The ferrite rod may be left out of the local/DX circuit.

Jim

Last edited by a29zuk; 01-11-2018 at 5:38 PM..
Old 01-11-2018, 5:49 PM

a29zuk,
That makes perfect sense, I've just never seen it before. I own quite a few portables, and if it has a dx / local switch it works on the AM Broadcast band, this is the first one where it is as you say left out out of the circuit because of the different antenna ( ferrite ) I've only had the radio 2 days, but I'm finding the Airband is very sensitive for a portable. Usually if it's included, it's subpar ( ccrane skywave ) But I live between 2 airports here in the Tampa Bay area, and I'm getting quite a few signals from aircraft....very happy with this. This radio is a little pricey, and I got it cheap ( 175.99 ) I've seen it as high as 199.95. But it's working well, and I am enjoying it. That's what it's all about.
Sponsored links
Old 01-12-2018, 5:46 AM

Glad you are enjoying your new receiver.
There is nothing like getting a new receiver and having it being a big disappointment.

Jim

Last edited by a29zuk; 01-12-2018 at 5:59 AM..