Station on 530 KHz AM ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiberaFan08

I am hearing a Spanish speaking station on 530 KHz playing almost all music. I suspect it may be in Cuba but I'm not sure,can anyone help. Thanks

CLynch7

My Spanish is no good, but when I do catch news, the seem to be discussing Cuban goings-on. Great music, I'll listen to this station when Coast-to-Coast isn't catching my interest. I'll make a point to listen for a station ID tonight.

LiberaFan08

Chris, Thanks for the reply. Just a little while ago,I heard the interval signal for Vatican Radio on this frequency. I am not sure if it was legitimate or not,could be a spur or maybe a harmonic??? David

CLynch7

It is legit. The FCC Database only lists some Canadian C class stations. Google hasn't been a help. They played an instrumental version of 'Sounds of Silence' about 2130 local.

What is your location? I imagine we're thinking of the same station.

Update: It is most likely Radio Rebelde, even though I haven't caught ¡Aquí Radio Rebelde!. Catching that should be an easy confirmation. (Found on Wikipedia)

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And if memory serves, that's the powerhouse station that is on 5025 khz...73 Mike

pathalogical

At 04:00 AM EDST I heard a male announcer say"AM 530 CHOW".
Possibly AM530 Multicultural Radio CIAO is pronounced CHOW in Italian. Maybe that was the language you heard since many words are kinda similar in these two languages. It does not appear they have Spanish programing. I also get an AM station from Ohio with good reception. Hope this helps...

Sure about the time ??? It doesn't show anything between midnight and 5am...

Last edited:

k9rzz

Where I am here in the midwest there are three main stations on 530khz:

CIAO Toronto, Canada that runs a multitude of languages.
Radio Vision Cristiana International, Turks & Caicos Islands which is religious, could be Eng. or Spanish.
R. Rebelde, Cuba - usually buried underneath those two where I live.

LiberaFan08

Just a few minutes ago,I copied a morse code beacon on 530 KHz transmitting the letters LYQ. Does any know where LYQ is???

LiberaFan08

After doing a little of my own research,I have come to the conclusion that the station I heard was DYQ(not LYQ). DYQ is on 263 KHz in Greenville Tennessee. 530 KHz would be a very close harmonic for 263 KHz. DYQ is only 25 watts!

k9rzz

Sure about that? I can hear LYQ up here in WI. Unless DYQ is in your backyard, I would be hesitant to log that.

LYQ Beacon on 529 Khz - rec.radio.shortwave | Google Groups

Greetings:

Please tune your radio to 529 KHZ to hear our NDB beacon LYQ you
will hear the Weather and the Morse code. You should be able to hear
LYQ on your car radio tuned to AM 530 Please give it a try and
post your reception report right here!!

If you want to see pictures of LYQ beacon please visit our web page at
International Radio Station WWRB view the photo gallery!

LYQ is right next to our New Runway located right here at WWRB
shortwave station

Thanks!!

Dave

LiberaFan08

Thank you for the corrections.Oh well, at least I tried. Thank God this is only a hobby and not brain surgery.

kc4jgc

I am hearing a Spanish speaking station on 530 KHz playing almost all music. I suspect it may be in Cuba but I'm not sure,can anyone help. Thanks

After reading your post on 11/6 I made a point to tune in 530 after arriving on the NC outer banks that evening. Female announcer in spanish. Instrumentals being played of pop songs from the 50's through the 80's. Among the songs played were Theme from "A Summer Place"; Copacabana. As usual with my luck when trying to ID a station the signal would fade at the top of the hour. "Transmite 'Radio ________ ' " At 11pm EDT she also said (I think) "Musica por todo tiempo de su vida". Again, due to fading, not sure if I heard it correctly. If I did, the above translates to "music for all the times of your life". Then after a phrase or two she said "Cuba". I am 99% sure she did not say "Radio Rebelde".

I fell asleep listening to this station. Good sleeping music! The signal stayed strong with occaisional fading all night. I tried to record the audio on my cell phone twice, at midnight and at 7am. Alas, on both occaisions the signal faded at the top of the hour when the announcer was ID'ing. Fade out at 7:05am.

I will likely be back on Hatteras Island this Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. I'll try again to ID the station then.

LiberaFan08

Reply to Steve/KC4JGC

Steve, Thanks for your comments/efforts,let me know what you figure out. I have to admit that I fell in love with the pleasant music too. I keep it playing for hours while I read and usually end up falling asleep to it. Even though I am a confirmed "scanner nut", this stuff on 530 is a pleasant change. 73,David

CLynch7

After reading your post on 11/6 I made a point to tune in 530 after arriving on the NC outer banks that evening. Female announcer in spanish. Instrumentals being played of pop songs from the 50's through the 80's. Among the songs played were Theme from "A Summer Place"; Copacabana. As usual with my luck when trying to ID a station the signal would fade at the top of the hour. "Transmite 'Radio ________ ' " At 11pm EDT she also said (I think) "Musica por todo tiempo de su vida". Again, due to fading, not sure if I heard it correctly. If I did, the above translates to "music for all the times of your life". Then after a phrase or two she said "Cuba". I am 99% sure she did not say "Radio Rebelde".

I fell asleep listening to this station. Good sleeping music! The signal stayed strong with occaisional fading all night. I tried to record the audio on my cell phone twice, at midnight and at 7am. Alas, on both occaisions the signal faded at the top of the hour when the announcer was ID'ing. Fade out at 7:05am.

I will likely be back on Hatteras Island this Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. I'll try again to ID the station then.

That is the same station I'm getting. On a good night I can null it somewhat and Rebelde is underneath. Probably going to Florida in a couple of weeks, I'll see how it is down there.

lanbergld

Since you're in Ohio, the station you hear on 530 kHz is most likely that multi-cultural Canadian station. It comes in pretty good here in Richmond VA at nighttime. In fact its strong enough to bury my reception of beacon LYQ (529 kHz) on most nights.

Larry Lanberg

Richmond VA

Last edited:

KTN4GN

LYQ Unlicensed NDM near Manchester, TN

Sure about that? I can hear LYQ up here in WI. Unless DYQ is in your backyard, I would be hesitant to log that.

LYQ Beacon on 529 Khz - rec.radio.shortwave | Google Groups

Greetings:

Please tune your radio to 529 KHZ to hear our NDB beacon LYQ you
will hear the Weather and the Morse code. You should be able to hear
LYQ on your car radio tuned to AM 530 Please give it a try and
post your reception report right here!!

(SNIP)

I found the station quite by accident when the car radio "reset" to 530AM. It's an unlicensed, undocumented NDB run by the aforementioned WWRB broadcasters near here (I am in Winchester, TN). As noted on the webpage, they have a private unpaved runway co-located with their HF broadcasting operation.. Daytime RST of the signal is 539. I am only 27 miles from the facility.

Discussing it with several long-time residents, the property is somewhat bizzare. Seems there are quasi-federal looking warning signs around and the owners don't respond well to any inquiries about the legitimacy of some of their operations.

Steve, K4YZ
Winchester, TN

k9rzz

Radio Enciclopedia is the dominant station on 530khz up here lately:

Beautiful music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Cuba, the national Radio Enciclopedia network features a mixture of beautiful music, classical and jazz, all of Cuban origin or recorded by Cuban performers; Radio Enciclopedia's signal at 530 kHz on the AM dial can be heard across much of the United States at night and is reportedly becoming a cult favorite among American listeners.

Status
Not open for further replies.