RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW General Discussion

HF/MW/LW General Discussion General discussion on monitoring the HF (High Frequency), MW (Medium Wave), and LW (Long Wave) spectrum (0.5 - 30 MHz)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 4:16 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisindot View Post
Thank you for your endorsement. After fruitlessly looking for a late model SW8 or Satellit 800, I'm breaking down and getting an E1 to be my "casual listener." I've heard mixed things about it--great performance, typical lousy Eton quality construction. I'm getting my new (and hoping it's a later model year) because I didn't want to risk getting a used model and having it break on me in six months with no warranty.

Suzie
What did you do with the JRC 545? Send it to me and I'll give it a good home.
Sponsored links
Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIN View Post
It works well on Short Wave, OK on SSB utilities/ham, dreadful on the Civil Air Band. It will overload on anything over a 10' wire, but works reasonably well on the pull up antenna.
Grove review of the G6: http://monitoringtimes.com/mtfirstlook-G6-Aviator.pdf
Old 12-15-2009, 2:56 PM

Performance wise, for SSB utility Dx'ing, my vote goes to the Realistic DX-440/Sangean ATS-803A. Pretty much hands down. Going price on Ebay is usually $40 - $80. Of course, if you want to gauge by other criteria besides for serious SSB reception (looks, construction material, feel of the knobs, amount of external jacks, etc.) then sure there are other $100- $300 portables to consider.

Larry Lanberg

Richmond VA

Realistic DX-440 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:35 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default tecsun pl-600

i have had good luck with a tecsun pl-600. it has ssb. i got new off of ebay. you can read some reviews at eham.net. in additon, the 2009 passport to world band radio has a review section that is pretty good.
Old 01-22-2010, 1:11 PM

Im looking at the tecsun pl-600 myself
Sponsored links
Old 01-22-2010, 1:37 PM

Just my .02 ..

Grundig G6 - convenient, but audio amplifier noise is tiring. So much so that using the airbands without a squelch drove me nuts. Low pass filter didn't help much - that noise floor is still there.

Grundig G3 - BIG improvement, although a bit bassy. At least the audio amplifier noise floor is way down compared to G6. Overall ok, but would it be a major improvement over your Tecsun? Probably not.

Given your requirements, I'd actually suggest taking a look at the Grundig Satellite 750 if you have to buy new in that price range. The good thing is that I haven't seen any major faults with the QC, only the limitations of a sub $300 receiver.

750-BFO gripes - don't swing that thing too much! For USB, just set it to 12 oclock. Then use the main vfo knob lightly. Make *fine* adjustments to the bfo, that is no more than about 1/2 of a clock-tick for best sound. For LSB, set it to 1 oclock and go back to the main vfo. The BFO isn't really meant to be a wide fine-tune. If one uses it that way, they are bound to be disappointed with a lot of fiddling. If you go forward or reverse more than about one clock-tick on the bfo dial, go back to either 12 or 1 oclock position (depending on which sideband you are using) and use the main vfo to get on frequency.

Front end overload is controlled via the rf-gain, but given that you may not be using very large antennas, this may not be a major issue. Nice sensitivity and selectivity for what it is.

Last edited by hertzian; 01-22-2010 at 1:42 PM..
Old 01-22-2010, 1:49 PM
Wiki Admin Emeritus
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

The radio is probably better classified as a 'portatop' - something that crosses the boundary between a true portable and a tabletop. If you get this radio, search out hertzian's simple mods and tips on how to wake this radio up. They're worth reading 73 Mike
Old 01-22-2010, 2:19 PM

Exactly!

The easiest way to say it is that it easily offers twice the performance of a typical good quality portable, yet is about half as good as say an Icom R75. Perhaps another briefcase-portable would just be a duplication of what you have now.

I use mine indoors all the time, and run from DC to avoid coupling to a noisy wall wart / household ac line, and use a radial wire(s) tacked on the baseboards for the rf-ground connected to the black connector of the high-impedance antenna jack - even with nothing but the built-in whip.

What is frustrating is that I want it to be a $450 receiver with a better front-end / agc / s-meter / metal cabinet. Yet if that were so, I'd probably save up enough to jump to a $600 receiver - and so it goes.
Old 01-29-2010, 3:19 AM

Get a Grundig Yacht Boy 400. They can be found under $60 on ebay and are comparable to a Sony 7600

Though no sync detection.

I would personally go for a new Sony 7600 from amazon or somewhere. Great sensitivity, seletivity, sync detection, usb/lsb. Can't go wrong for around $200.
Sponsored links
Old 07-04-2011, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc9neq View Post
i have had good luck with a tecsun pl-600. it has ssb. i got new off of ebay. you can read some reviews at eham.net. in additon, the 2009 passport to world band radio has a review section that is pretty good.
I got tecsun pl-600, too. it can be risky ordering from China as you might get a dud. Then you have to decide whether or not it's worth sending back. Too bad Tecsun doesen't have service center in the US. Long-term quality can be a concern but as of yet I haven't had any problem. Check it on ebay for 99 usd.TECSUN PL-660 PLL AIR/FM/MW/LW/SW SSB SYNC PL660 RADIO | eBay
Old 05-04-2012, 2:03 PM

Personally, I'd be looking at upgrading to a Sony 2010 or an Eton E1 in good condition. Universal Radio gets them in for a good price fairly regularly, and they have a reputation of standing behind their products.
Old 05-06-2012, 7:54 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhinkle View Post
I got tecsun pl-600, too. it can be risky ordering from China as you might get a dud. Then you have to decide whether or not it's worth sending back. Too bad Tecsun doesen't have service center in the US. Long-term quality can be a concern but as of yet I haven't had any problem. Check it on ebay for 99 usd.TECSUN PL-660 PLL AIR/FM/MW/LW/SW SSB SYNC PL660 RADIO | eBay
Spend the extra bucks, and buy your 660 from Kaito USA Tecsun PL660 AM FM SW Air SSB Synchronous Radio - Black | eBay... They have the have the parts and resources to honor the USA warranty here in the US. I am very satisfied with mine.
Old 02-22-2013, 8:58 PM
Forums Moderator
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Still looking for a better radio than the Kaito KA1103 (Degen DE1103). Any updated suggestions?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2013, 2:33 PM

No. IMHO for the money, performance and size, I'd stick with the 1103.

Mind you, this is portable, it's got a handle....

Sony CRF 230
Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyobc View Post
Still looking for a better radio than the Kaito KA1103 (Degen DE1103). Any updated suggestions?s
Tecsun PL-660. It's one heck of a receiver, has both USB and LSB separate, two very good filters, three gain settings, very good keyboard and knob set up. It handles a longwire antenna very well. I use it as my #1 radio and often use it to copy digital signals like JT-65 and PSK31.

The only downside is the antenna won't stick straight up in the air when it's on the stand, it will be at an angle.
Sponsored links
Old 03-01-2013, 11:52 PM

The Tecsun PL-660 works pretty well, IF you get a good one. Mine wasn't, so I took it apart and found a bad solder joint, or joints, I'm not sure, but I saw a lot of bad looking joints that I hit with the iron and it worked ok then. A friend was looking at one on Ebay and I ended up selling him mine for exactly what I paid for it so he didn't have to waste time "breaking it in". The only portable I have now is a DX-398 that I replaced the speaker in. It sounds really good and does a decent job with a hunk of wire hooked up to the antenna jack. FM is spectacular.

I recommend to people wanting to start out in the hobby that they buy a used desktop receiver, they can try it out and if they decide it's not for them, they basically can get all their money back. Cheap portables are a hassle, and usually don't do SSB well or at all, and the expensive ones are often fragile. I've sold 3 Icom R71As to friends over the years to start them out in SWL. I have the best sounding one I've ever heard now, it sounded pretty good when I got it and after a simple 2 resistor change, AM sounds very nice now, and SSB seems to be slightly better too. With headphones it's actually pleasant to listen to for SWBC listening. Never could say that about an R71A before.