Thoughts on the Satellit 750

Status
Not open for further replies.

safetyobc

Anyone who ACTUALLY USES OR HAS USED the Satellit 750 have any thoughts on this radio. I am thinking about buying one but wanted to get some real world thoughts about it.

Wanting to listen to SSB, SW, Airband, and AM.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Did you check the EHam links in the wiki? I would also see if there is a Yahoo group devoted to it - chances are, there's at least one...both would be good ways to get first person accounts, apart from anyone here...73 Mike

[edit] Here's a starting point...

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7256

Last edited:

Shortwavewave

Check up on YouTube for some videos of it and think what you want to fit your needs.

IMO I have only played with one, not owned, but what I dont like is the Tuning Step, it is only 1khz, it needs at least .5khz even with a BFO. I think it should cost more around $220

What I do like is the BNC, and Longwire antenna jacks on it, each to his own but IMO a radio isnt a radio unless is has decent antenna jacks or connectors (more in the terms of what can actully be used in a day to day, or compatability).

And the Analog S-Meter! Why they ever did away with Analog S-Meters beats the heck out of me, but I love it!

All in all its a good radio, and alot better than the E5 or G5.

And somone correct me if Im wrong but isnt this radio actully analog not digital?

safetyobc

It is a portable but looks like a tabletop, which I like. How does it compare to the Kaito 1103 as far as receive.

Also I read that Amazon was selling the 750 a while back for $220 shipped.

luding2288

Premium Subscriber
Just got mine last week

I just got my 750 the other day from universal radio. It is my first shortwave radio of any kind, but so far have found it very easy to use. I do agree that the tuning could be alittle better, but my location has alot to do with it. I noticed as soon as I hooked up an external antenna to the unit I was able to recieve alot more on the upper sideband which is my main area of interest. I really like the fact that it is portable, and I think it has an interesting table top look to it. I will keep everyone updated on how things turn out with the new radio.

bluefox2163

i have one and i like it a lot its as sesitive on sw/usb as the R75,and it is excellent performance in the MW bands ,as far as IM concerned its a good radio it picks up a lot,and has airband which is pretty sensitive also,FM too...

nanZor

Wanting to listen to SSB, SW, Airband, and AM.

Just picked one up!

After a few days of use, here we go! (No, it doesn't hold a candle to my R75 or Icom 746-Pro.)

AIRBAND:
Obviously not a scanner. However, they have put some thought into it. The fast-vfo setting is at 25 khz! Somebody was paying attention. Slow is 1khz, and the up/down buttons are 100 khz. So, one could roll around in the fast-vfo mode, but for the most part, I just use it for various single-channel monitoring. The good thing is that the squelch works fine. Actually, the noise floor is so low, that you may not even need the squelch! A small amount of dead-air in the background isn't that annoying when the noise floor is pretty low.

I used an external Icom airband duck for the initial testing and all seems fine. With the built-in whip, you can get a bit more sensitivity by reducing the whip length by about 2 or 3 segments. Attenuation and rf gain work, but you can't do ECSS by going into ssb. AM only. Bandwidth is not adjustable and is fixed on airband. Sensitivity is ok, but not as good as a dedicated scanner. Easy fix is better external antenna, and possibly some attenuation.

VFO KNOB
My model was one of the latest with knurled aluminum knobs instead of grey plastic (were the earlier ones really plastic, or "brushed" aluminum - dunno' )

Mine was just a tad loose, so when I pulled the knob off, I *very gently* tightened the nut underneath. That tightened things up quite nicely. Then again, not as mechanically perfect as either of the Icom vfo knobs.

The VFO knob is pretty heavy with quite a bit of mass. As shipped, the radio is face-up. I wonder if that is to help prevent the large mass of the vfo knob from bending the encoder? At any rate, I'm treating the vfo knob gently by NOT using the finger-dimple, and only rotating from the edges, since there is a small amount of play. For whipping around the band, I use the fast-vfo instead of the dimple. And if I travel with it, I'm taking the vfo knob off just to play it safe and put it back on upon arrival. Also don't bang it down on the desk and have all that knob mass bend the encoder shaft.

The other knobs are knurled and have no finger-lobe like earlier models. Potentiometer action and feel is very smooth, even though underneath you can just tell that they won't be usable in 25 years. :) But for now, the feel is good when operating.

TUNING:
Typical - USB use the 12-oclock position to start and for LSB use the 1-oclock position before making changes to the bfo. Normally I don't swing the bfo much, just for very light adjustments - I just use the main vfo knob if I get past about 1.5 khz away to get back on freq. Going from say 12 oclock to 1 clock is about 1.5 khz or so. The only time I do big excursions with the bfo is when I'm copying CW and just don't feel like resetting the main knob. Not a big deal. yeah, I'd like better resolution, but if that comes at the cost of stability, then so be it.

POWER:
Weird - comes with a wall-wart that has the center-pin NEGATIVE. This is the only one I've ever had that had it that way. Thing is, when using the wall-wart, I have very bad ac-line noise, so I operate from batteries. FANTASTIC! Power draw seems to be about 80-100 ma on receive, and so far with some new 5amp nimh rechargeable D-Cells, I've had this thing on for about 36 hours with the backlight the whole time. AND on the batteries very first training cycle! Nope, it doesn't recharge in the unit, so outboard charging only (or just non-rechargeable D's) System setup has an option to tell the radio if you are using alkaline or rechargeables, I guess to get the low-voltage circuit a bit more accurate. I'm still waiting for my first battery-bar to go away on the lcd. This thing seems to run on air. :) Actually I've seen 11000 mah D cells (that's 11-thousand!), so battery power is definitely a big draw for me here.

SELECTIVITY
Very good, although I normally use NARROW all the time. However, I do use WIDE when I want to temporarily have more fidelity on SWBC, or for fidelity checks on amateur-operators AM mode, or even to listen to those that have excessively wide ssb audio. Normally I don't go for hi-fi on ssb, but at least I have the listening option. I was amazed that the narrow filter worked as well as it does. I was expecting it to be very broad, but it seems to be around 2.4 to maybe 2.7 khz wide? I'd love to see a spec.

FIDELITY:
Not bad for a plastic box! I like that they used a stereo jack, which means that you can press your normal stereo earbuds into service for comm use without having to track down an adapter. The bass and treble have enough of a slope to help turn the hifi headsets into comm quality. My favorites however are the Kenwood HS-6 lightweights or the Kenwood HS-5 over-ear headsets rather than use hifi earbuds.

LONGWAVE and MW:
I don't do much dx'ing on either one, but I did track down an NDB on longwave and the rotatable bar antenna on top did actually null for most stations. Some stations did NOT null, but most did, or at least you can null noise. Very handy to not have to rotate the whole radio. A nice addition is that there is an external jack for your own longwave / mw antenna right at the bar antenna for you AM dxer's out there. So that makes THREE antenna input jacks total.

What would have been great would have been if the bar antenna went up to 2 mhz, so I could use that for 160 meters instead of a wire which I don't really have the room for to do right on 160m. Maybe their next model...

BEEPING:
ACK! There is a constant beep whenever you pass through the various shortwave spectrum stop/start allocations. Sounds like a small kitchen microwave beep when your popcorn is ready and there is no system setting to turn it off. Once my batteries recharge, I'm going to find that piezo buzzer or whatever it is and crush it happily.

OPERATION:
If you want to play radio, this will provide it in spades, what with the small bfo adjustments, bass/treble, attenuation and rf-gain controls all going at the same time. Fun actually trying to coax the most out of this unit. Seriously though, it has the unexpected benefit of having you trying to maximize the signal-to-noise ratio, rather than just smashing the s-meter.

S-METER:
Put a piece of tape over it. :) Unknown ballistics and calibration, doesn't deflect much above 10mhz on even strong ssb signals (at least on my unit). I could even forgive it for being so small, but it is also set-back about a half-inch from the faceplate, making it hard to see unless you are looking at the rig head-on. Good for character but not much else. That's a real pity as I LOVE analog meters.

STRONG-SIGNAL SSB Handling:
This is where it starts to fall down when you attach a modest HF antenna like my multiband vertical. Yes, you can use the attenuator and even ride the rf-gain control. In fact, I found it kind of fun to operate like I did years ago. In the face of very strong signals, think of the 750 as a manual-transmission auto. :) Unless you just operate with the built in whip with everything on max-gain, expect to have a lot of fun protecting the front end at times. Not ALL the time, but some of the time. Does this make it unusable? Not for me - in fact I really needed the refresher to remind me to seek a good S/N *ratio* rather than just trying to bend the s-meter needle.

Reality-check - most of the demographic for this radio is probably going to use the whip or maybe a short wire, rather than attach it to a stacked yagi array. However, I do feel it could have done just a *little* bit better in this department. Kiwa anyone?

OVERALL:
A good budget radio that you could actually build a setup around. Yes, you can get more on the used market, or spend more for an even better receiver. BUT, the satellite 750 stands on it's own, and has enough nice features that perform admirably well *for what it is*, that makes it a keeper for me. Not my main rig to be sure, but something I'll have a use for a LOT when I don't want to lug around all the other stuff and keep it casual. I think it would make a GREAT starter radio (again, if you have to go new and not used) for someone just starting out trying to find their own listening niche. NDB's on longwave? MW dxing? SSB/CW HF amateur/utility? Airband ops? Homebrewing your own antennas?

Although it looks rugged, treat it gently and you'll get many years out of it for sure.

In fact, I think I'll be adding an outboard cw/ssb peak/notch filter to just put the bow on it. Fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

nanZor

750 groundplane with built-in whip!

So there I was winding a ferrite choke around the wall-wart output to try some sort of attempt at noise-reduction from my ac-line, and then all of a sudden - bam!

The small built-in whip has no groundplane, especially when run solely from batteries, or if you use an rf-choke on the wall-wart (or at least a very inefficient one). I've been running from an external multiband vertical for the most part and wasn't surprised that the whip was not too effective.

With the whip extended and the switch set for internal antenna, I just threw down a 10 foot piece of wire on the ground and attached it to the black-lug ground connection of the 600 ohm antenna terminal - even though I'm using the internal whip.

Bingo - big signal improvement with at least ONE radial.

In this case with a very short whip, more short radials are more effective than one big long one, so in the upstairs bedroom, I've tacked two 20 foot radials to the corners of the floor/wall molding. More would be better, but I'm not having radials running across the carpet. :)

Still, taking this thing out back, and if it is safe, I've found a neat use for the "Glove Compartment" that is on the back of the 750 - a bunch of 24 gauge wire for a throw-down radial when all I have is the internal whip.

Fun!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Eton seems to have real issues with their wall warts and noise. Wrapping a ferrite choke around the wire is a tried and true trick. As I recall, the E1 has had similar issues.

Sounds like the 750 would not be a bad DXpedition radio, even if you have to bring a couple of radials with you. With such a low current draw (obviously with all the lights, bells and whistles turned off) you could use that radio all night and still have power left. Just watch out putting a big antenna on it. Interesting....73 Mike

nanZor

The good news is that you CAN have the lights turned on all the time - it doesn't seem to draw that much current. 3 days of 24/7 operations now with the lights on full time on my rechargeable D cells. I'm using Radio Shack #230-0754 Enercell rechargeable D's - 5000 mah. They don't seem to be in the catalog yet, but showed up in the store. My Maha charger doesn't accept D-size, so I caved and picked up the #23-790 charger - again not in the catalogs yet. I'm truly amazed at the battery life with even the lights on.

The good news for dx'ers is that you can have a large antenna! The signal handling only seems to affect the super-strong signals, and does not seem to destroy the whole front-end for the weak to medium-strength signals. Thus you can have a powerhouse next door and not have it affect your dx for the most part.

Some have suggested a poor agc, or bfo-pulling. To my ears, it almost sounds like RF-clipping like when you place diodes back-to-back to do a simple form of Electro-Static-Discharge (ESD) protection. I haven't taken mine apart yet, and it is possible these days that if this is clipping on the powerhouse signals, the diodes might be surface-mount components. If it is, I'll be tempted to crush those too. :) I don't have the skills to determine if this is really the cause. My hope is that someone might investigate this.

Still, I'm totally pleased with it for what it is. It is good enough that if Kiwa offered some sort of mod for it, I'd do it.

The memory layout is ok, and the "page / preset" are really just "bank / channel" for us scanner-types. I haven't been able to get it to scan my HF memories yet for some reason.

For SSB/CW I just turn both the bass and treble all the way down.

Some have suggested a bad agc (which seems to be on the medium / fast level if the S-meter is to be believed (ok for the most part, especially CW).

OH - note that on airband the whip is active - which means that the HF antenna port is active on airband as well. If you get strange results on airband, consider pulling your external HF antenna. AND, a small groundplane wire about 23 inches does nicely for airband when attached to the black ground wire on the external 600 ohm antenna port even if you are using the whip (collapse about 2 - 3 segments for airband.)

This radio is a blast to try and optimize - not perfect by any means, but if it inspires one to start building their own antennas, learn cw, etc, job complete! :)

SLJ2137694

I'm using Radio Shack #230-0754 Enercell rechargeable D's - 5000 mah. They don't seem to be in the catalog yet, but showed up in the store.
FYI there are 10,000-12,000 mah Rechargeable D cells available that you would probably be more satisfied with as they would last a lot longer.

nanZor

I saw those - guess I should have done my homework first, but I was in a hurry. :)

Actually, the low-self discharge 10000 mah D-cells I saw on Thomas Distributing caught my eye in a hurry. Along with the Maha MH-C808M charger. nice.

I'm just tripping out since these babies haven't even made it through one normal charge/discharge conditioning cycle! I can't begin to imagine how much longer the larger capacity ones would last. Maybe a full week of ssb/cw ?

UPDATE: while typing this, it finally died - and it did so very politely!

Instead of draining the batteries to their very last dregs, and possibly damaging them in the process, it automatically shut down, and left enough for the display and clock to work. I powered up again, watched the gas-gauge go to zero bars, the unit shut down, and the gas-gauge went back up to 1 bar as the batteries now had basically no load on them. Thanks Tecsun/Eton/Grundig for not damaging the batteries!

Note that I had correctly set the system battery type to "28" for rechargeables. ("29" is for alkaline non-rechargeables)

nanZor

Simple mods not effective - need to drive the 750

Well, I opened up the 750 today and found two back-to-back diodes directly across the antenna input.

I removed them, and it made no difference in cleaning up the strong-signal distortion. So I put them back in.

I also brought out the Golden Screwdriver, and tweaked the AGC pot. No joy. Returned to original position.

The end result is that the only mod needed for the 750 is to learn how to DRIVE IT with the manual RF-Gain control in the presence of super-strong SSB signals, and just reduce the gain to a comfortable level. Like our grandfathers did. :) Yeah, I wish the agc worked better, but I'll deal with it. Not so much as a major defect, just a difference in overall design.

Oh, the other mod is to really just ignore the S-meter, which is pretty much just eye-candy, and use your ears instead along with the rf-gain control, and if necessary, the attenuators. Seriously, don't confuse your brain - just cover up the s-meter.

So go ahead and attach a big antenna to it - just be prepared to use a manual-transmission instead of an automatic to drive this thing like a sports car. Viewed in that light, by forcing me to optimize for s/n ratio, rather than bending the S-meter, I like it even more - although this kind of operation may not be for everyone.

If you do like driving the 750 this way, just make sure that if you are looking at a receiver upgrade in the future, make sure you can turn the agc OFF and have an rf-gain pot.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
hmmm... I could be wrong here, but the back-back diodes sounds like the same setup that the late Perry Ferrell found in the JRC NRD515 and NRD525 that could rectify in the case you were in an environment with a lot of strong MW signals around. It would cause spurs all over the HF spectrum - and he routinely removed them.

In the case of the 750, as it has a plastic case, that would only improve things somewhat. The NRDs had metal cases, and additional shielding around some of the RF components, so we're kinda talking apples and oranges here, but it's something to consider

73 Mike

nanZor

Right! I've seen this before too where say a local am station was just rectified like crazy (apart from what I thought might be the same issue for the strong ssb signal distortion ). and removal of the diodes stopped the rectification.

Thing is, I immediately VOIDED my warranty! (and lost any protection)

Needless to say, REMOVE the power before doing so! This includes the batteries. I have made that costly mistake before when I forgot that the batteries were in the unit and suddenly all the magic $$ smoke comes out. :)

One thing I have done where I wanted at least some esd protection without using diodes was to replace them with a high-value resistor, about 100 times the rated impedance of the antenna terminals so it wouldn't swamp the input. Typically I'll grab anywhere between a 50K to 200K resistor, and place that across the antenna terminals. Or perhaps across the feedpoint. This might be a solution for those with the rectification issue and don't want to place another pair of diodes back in, like 1N4148's etc.

In fact, I just did this to the 750 with what I had on hand, a 100K resistor since I think I damaged one of the diodes during removal. So now I have no diodes, but just the resistor. I'll probably swap that out with a 200K or maybe even a 500K when I get my hands on one.

(Use a carbon-resistor, NOT wire-wound types, and beef it up - at least a 1/2 watt rating or more.)

If I blow the input with a static zap, everyone here will be the first to know. :)

Coastwatch

Stop the Beep

Just picked one up!

BEEPING:
ACK! There is a constant beep whenever you pass through the various shortwave spectrum stop/start allocations. Sounds like a small kitchen microwave beep when your popcorn is ready and there is no system setting to turn it off. Once my batteries recharge, I'm going to find that piezo buzzer or whatever it is and crush it happily.

To cancel the beep (with the radio on) just press and hold the 0 button and OFF will show ..... press again and it will show ON.......

With the radio OFF press and hold ENTER/SYS SET and it will cycle through the setting you entered with the code numbers...

Oh! and by the way Hi guys 'n' Gals hope my first post is OK..

Cheers 'n' 73's

David.....

LW DXing using the Satellite 750

Thanks for telling me about the experience about it on LW. I see that you have to use the rotatable
bar antenna on top of it. But is there any real experience on how well does it perform between 6 PM and 1 AM your local time? Maybe you need to use a bigger loop antenna, better yet tunable loop antenna that covers 150 kHz to 520 kHz. I want to know does it have image rejection from the AM radio stations? If it doesn't this radio is going to have to be used with a external antenna with a low pass filter. I am a died in the wool long wave radio DXer and I want to use this radio for LW DXing since it covers 100 kHz to 520 kHz and it has a longer ferrite bar antenna on top.

LONGWAVE and MW:
I don't do much dx'ing on either one, but I did track down an NDB on longwave and the rotatable bar antenna on top did actually null for most stations. Some stations did NOT null, but most did, or at least you can null noise. Very handy to not have to rotate the whole radio. A nice addition is that there is an external jack for your own longwave / mw antenna right at the bar antenna for you AM dxer's out there. So that makes THREE antenna input jacks total.

lanbergld

I love the Sattelit 750. I have a special fondness for multiband radios, because that's how I began Dx'ing as a kid in the 1970s. I've went back to multiband radios recently because they're funner than specialized communications receivers. I'm in it for fun, not to look or sound technical.

Regardless the Sattelit 750 is a really good receiver period. Some of those nitpicky reviews done by want to be experts (Monitoring Times, Radio Jay Allen and Herculodge) are simply wrong and border on the absurd. I get the impression that maybe they asked Grundig for special promotion, Grundig refused and so they took remarkable pains to slam the radio on any technical ground they could dig up. That's the way those reviews read to me, I can think of no other reason, because what they say doesn't hold true.

Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.