Alinco DX-R8 Shortwave Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
It looks like Alinco is releasing a receive-only version of it's SR-8 HF Transceiver.

Here's the information from Alinco's Japanese web site:

Google Translate

The list price is roughly around $690 but I think it'll sell in the USA between $400-500. (The transceiver version is $649 so I don't think it'll cost as much.)

The VERY interesting feature about this radio is that it is piping out IQ information thru a 3.5mm jack, so you can hook this baby up to WINRAD and it becomes a very basic SDR radio. This means you can also decode DRM!

The English translation is a bit sketchy so it's hard to know exactly what this means. Read the above site for more details (check the links at the very bottom of the page.)

VORDMECUE

Dx-r8

This is a stand-alone desktop receiver (not a transceive-capable communications receiver though) with IQ and discriminator output port.Hardware specifications can be "guessed" by reading values and numbers on its Japanese site.

Very frankly the basic RX hardware specs are the same as the transceiver version DX-SR8, however, the interface has been shaped up to suite receiver-use, such as the functions of operational keys (i.e., you can enter the frequency digit directly on R8, while simple numeric key operation changes the ham-radio bands on SR8).

The most attractive feature of R8 is its IQ output mode. By simply choosing the "IQ" in the mode selection function, it outputs the IQ signal from the designated 3.5mm stereo jack located at the back of the radio. Alinco offers a Japanese-made third-party SDR software called KG-SDR for free to use with DX-R8 and DJ-X11 handheld receiver also capable of IQ output. Of course KG-SDR supports the frequency control through the mouse and keyboards of your PC when an optional ERW-7 PC-cable is used.

A very credible source of information says this radio will be made available to export-market users toward the end 2010/beg 2011 period. Current Japanese street price goes around $522 (47000yen/$1=Y85, but to us Japanese, 47000yen is like $470 to consumers' feeling), but thanks to the glowing interests in SWL in Japan, all lots are sold out and you have to wait until mid Sept for next supply.

I personally own one, using it with a simple balcony whip antenna of 1.8m long set at 5th floor of a condo in central Japan. This setup allows me to decode RNZI and BBC/DW DRM using DREAM without adding any external inverter (all you need is a simple 3.5mm stereo plug audio cable you can buy at a local electronics store and a PC with a good sound-card ).You have to shift the VFO tuning by +12 to 14KHz from the actual receiving signal to decode DRM, but R8 offers an "IQ shift" preset function so you don't have to add the shift every time you tune to the DRM signal. I have tested with popular SDR software such as WINRAD, SDRadio, ROCKY, G8JCF etc and all worked even though the frequency-control weren't available. FAX, NAVTEX, HFDL decode software worked fine, too.

Mechanical construction is fair compare to the price; large, clearly visible LCD display, rugged full dye cast chassis, and straight-forward layouts of keys. In addition, R8's ceramic filters can be replaced with Collins' mechanical filters (soldering required) without complicated modification. Just replace them, solder-bridge a designated terminal on the board and you are ready to go. Another highlight of the mechanical design is a front-panel separation. Not only for mobile, you can set the front-unit only on your operating disk keeping the massive main unit under the desk to save some space.

Electronics performance is not bad either. NO DSP features (of course, with this price...), but comes with analog IF shift and Noise blanker, narrow filters (1KHz SSB ceramic, and 500Hz CW audio), and 4-level RF preamp/attenuator. Alinco's memory-utility freeware manages its 3 banks x 200ch =600ch memories , 2 sets of programmed-search pairs and up-to-7 digits alphanumeric tags easily. Various scanning modes including timed-scan that works by predetermined time eliminating the use of squelch (scans according to the time regardless of squelch status, not by the opening of squelch when it detects the signal), good for SSB and data-mode reception.

In short, DX-R8 is an excellent alternative for the SDR-beginner SWLs, as well as a general public who are interested in monitoring short-wave utility communications such as aviation, navigation and data like FAX and teletype.

Ah, be aware, the radio does not come with AC-adapter but comes only with a DC cable, so you need an external stabilized power supply of 12Vdc output (the cheapest is more than enough, it consumes less than 1A).

Token

So, if I read it right, this looks to me to be a traditional superhet radio with DSP/SDR at the IF level. The IQ of that processing is then transferred out of the radio via a sound cable to the PC sound card. The PC sound card becomes the interface to the computer and displays.

It sounds rather like the company has built a fairly traditional entry-level radio but included a low performance SDR such as the Softrock66 looking at the IF of the radio. Rather like the WinRadio G303e. A nice touch, and the hardware is very low cost.

The performance (dynamic range in particular) of such a system will be limited to the performance of the sound card as will the bandwidth, but it is still a slick idea.

T!
Mohave Desert, California, USA

VORDMECUE

DX-R8 Alinco

Yes Token, it's made exactly as how you guessed. It's got a quad-mixer circuit inside, besides a conventional superhet receiver circuit, to output a limited width of IQ. KG-SDR can handle about 48KHz width for band-recording.

Actual sound of the radio can be heard on YOU-TUBE:
Memory feature: YouTube - DX-R8 MEMORY MODE
31mB AM wide: YouTube - DX-R8 AM WIDE 31mB

calmelof and electricman, you will see the export-version some time early next year I guess, that's what Alinco answered to my question about the availability in the export-market.

FLA2760, not only aviation-voice, but by using software like PC-HFDL you can plot aircraft locations world-wide on your PC screen.
HFDL - The RadioReference Wiki

The same author of KG-SDR distributes similar HFDL-plotter called KG-HFDL (in Japanese interface only, sorry). HF-ACARSƒfƒR[ƒhƒ\ƒtƒg@KG-HFDL

Thanks ka3jjz for your assistance, 73

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
calmelof and electricman, you will see the export-version some time early next year I guess, that's what Alinco answered to my question about the availability in the export-market.

Thanks for that info. I contacted Rakuten and they were kind enough to email me back:

Thank you for inquiry.
According to advise from ALINCO, it will be able to ship
on around early Oct.
Please note, we cannot ship the DX-R8 to out side of Japan
due to business contarct with ALINCO.

Any idea what the difference will be between the Japan DX-R8 and the Export version?

The same author of KG-SDR distributes similar HFDL-plotter called KG-HFDL (in Japanese interface only, sorry). HF-ACARSƒfƒR[ƒhƒ\ƒtƒg@KG-HFDL

Looks like a cool program.

VORDMECUE

Most stores have back-orders here again to my research in Japanese shop-sites of radios. Looks like Sept supplies are consumed already only to eliminate previous back-orders and reservations. I don't know about how the export version would be, but being simply a receiver, not transceivers, the difference will be minimal. In fact KG-SDR is available in English package, first time in author KG's shareware, this means that at least IQ output is available on export versions ;-)

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
A friend of mine played with one in Japan and liked it enough that he's about to order one soon as he pays off his other toy he just bought (A blower for his car).

bongobilly

Alinco dx-r8 green led

Hello all...Newbie here.
I bought the DX-R8 2 weeks ago.
I love it.
I would advise anyone in for one of these to
contact RT Systems for the frequency Disk which is very good.
I have a question on the front led that I would like to know.
I bought mine from Moonraker in UK.
You want to speak to Chris. chris@moonraker.eu he is your man.
It says in the manual that the on the front panel that LED is suppose to light up when station is recieved..I have contacted Moonraker from who I bought it but am still waiting reply.
I also tried loads of forums to no avail.
If anyone finds out could you please let me know?
Thats it for now.

All the best
bongobilly
S.Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.