RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > HF / MW / LW Monitoring > HF/MW/LW General Discussion

HF/MW/LW General Discussion General discussion on monitoring the HF (High Frequency), MW (Medium Wave), and LW (Long Wave) spectrum (0.5 - 30 MHz)

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 7:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by karldotcom View Post
I am on the IRCA mailing list and a couple different people commented on the KMIK signal.
Okay, cool. Hopefully they are still cranking this weekend and I'll get a shot at 'em.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rzz View Post
Okay, cool. Hopefully they are still cranking this weekend and I'll get a shot at 'em.
I had KMIK again last night, but not after their scheduled pattern change (0100 UTC if I remember correctly for this month). I think they have fixed whatever was wrong causing their signal to be heard all over the US. So try just before they change to night pattern and you still have a good chance. I heard them well enough last night to record their call letter ID two minutes before the TOH, then they were gone.

Other new ones for me last night were 1100 KNZZ Colorado while still on legal day pattern. I lost them when they switched to night pattern but then heard KWWN Las Vegas with Game 1 of the World Series, strong during fade-ups until they went to night pattern.
Old 10-28-2012, 2:38 AM

And keep that dial tuned to the top of your AM dial. You just never know the strange things pop up on 1710/KHz

Pirate Radio Boston 1710 KHz AM mode - YouTube
Old 10-28-2012, 8:34 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Nice reception Brian. I need to review my recordings but I don't think I can top that. I'm battling another RFI source that intermittently wipes out 1700-1800 khz. It's a faulty streetlight down the road that cycles on and off throughout the night. I have a complaint filed with the power company, hopefully it gets fixed soon and I'll have a quiet noise floor again on 1710.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Pre-dawn session this morning on 680khz. Didn't hang around after sunrise so nothing logged west of the big river.

WPTF Raleigh, NC

CFTR Tornonto, ON

WDBC Escanaba, MI (dominant)

WCTT Corbin, KY

Old 10-28-2012, 7:42 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9rzz View Post
Pre-dawn session this morning on 680khz. Didn't hang around after sunrise so nothing logged west of the big river.

WPTF Raleigh, NC

CFTR Tornonto, ON

WDBC Escanaba, MI (dominant)

WCTT Corbin, KY
What does that mean and how much window after sunrise? Just wanting to learn something about MW BTW that N.C. one was a good DX.
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75, on a Wellbrook ALA1530s+ loop @ 50'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to glass mount tribander
Old 10-28-2012, 7:52 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Okay. Well, as the sun rises on the east coast, you loose propagation to that area (increased ionization of the D layer and all that), but the band is still open to the west, so now those stations begin to dominate. Also, at dawn, most stations are forced to switch to daytime antenna patterns which changes things up a bit too. So, slowly, the stations that you hear move from east to west, until it's too light at your location and you loose propagation all together. How long after sunrise? On the AM BCB, 30 minutes or less seems to be the limit. Up on the 40 meter ham band, it can be up to an hour or more.

Guess, it's a little different being over there on the west coast, but say you hear KSL Salt Lake City all night, and they fade out in the morning, then you've got a shot at hearing something from across the Pacific on that channel, or nearby 9khz split channels until it's light where you are, and the whole band shuts down.

There used to be an article online that explained all sorts of tricks you can use to up your DX totals, Heck if I can find it now.
Old 10-28-2012, 9:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

That explanation helps thanks k9.
'54 Hallicrafters SX-88 #127; Icoms R71A&R75, on a Wellbrook ALA1530s+ loop @ 50'
RS Pro 2066 in truck to glass mount tribander
Old 10-29-2012, 9:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

1510 KGA Spokane, WA. heard here tonight with a weak ID under WLAC @ 0107 UTC. Anything from the Pacific NW is extremely difficult from my location, so this one was a nice surprise!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:35 PM

Undercover Radio on 1710 right now with a big signal. Good hunting gents
Old 11-01-2012, 10:09 AM

Here is a recording of the show. Hope you guys caught this on our favorite Clear Channel pirate radio MW/BCB frequency of 1710 KHz

Undercover Radio 1710 KHz AM Halloween pirate radio show - YouTube
Old 11-01-2012, 10:57 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDM123 View Post
Undercover Radio on 1710 right now with a big signal. Good hunting gents
There was some strange programming heard here after UR left the channel. I suspect the "W807" Chicago pirate again airing on old-time radio drama.
Old 11-01-2012, 6:28 PM

I have been hearing quite a few stations around 900 kHz that I don't normally hear. It appears that a station close to me on this frequency has reduced power.

Paul
Tas Ultralight Broadcast Band DXing
Old 11-02-2012, 3:38 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

guessing you are referring to 7AD Devonport thats running 2kW

Old 11-06-2012, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl2taw View Post
guessing you are referring to 7AD Devonport thats running 2kW
Correct I have not been listening of the last few days so I don't know if they are back to full power yet.
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2012, 9:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

WBAP Dallas/Ft Worth Tx is coming in nice & strong in the Phoenix, Az area at 0300 UTC. It's amazing what a 15' piece of wire clipped to a metal coat hanger hooked into the back of an R75 & tossed up into a tree will pick up! LOL
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM

I have been getting some decent daylight / mid-morning DX the last couple days. I heard KXOL-1660 from Utah with steady signals yesterday a.m., and KOUU-1290 from eastern Idaho this morning, both around 8:15 a.m., about an hour and a half into daylight (I'm located in Washington state).

KOUU was still audible close to 9 a.m.. a.k.a. "the Country Cow". Equipment is a Radio Shack loop and a Sony SRF-59.
Old 11-14-2012, 9:10 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just posted this over on the BCB logger: Broadcast Band DX Logger!

Nov15 03:05 529 LYQ NDB out of Manchester, TN booming in tonight with CW ident repeating over CIAO Toronto. Was listening to them in the car. - de k9rzz wi (this NDB is actually at the WWRB shortwave transmitter site).

Nov15 03:03 730 XEX Mexico City with nice sig and full ident in SS at TOH. Now playing "Love me two times" by the Doors (!). Also sent something in CW (morse) ... very short, only caught "W" at the end. de k9rzz wi

Got two or three Spanish language stations mixing it up on 530khz right now. So, most likely CIAO Toronto, ?? Cuba, and possibly Turks and Caicos ... are they still active on 530? I don't know.
Old 11-17-2012, 4:56 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

SDR catch from overnight:

1710 KHz Dr. Benway & Undercover Radio (pirate) testing with live IDs and classic rock first noticed at 0521 UTC, mostly readable but taking turns with co-channel 24/7 ethnic pirate Radio Celestial (Bronx) and the New Jersey TIS station. At 0548 UTC, an English preacher came up on the frequency briefly that I have not heard before. By 0600 UTC Radio Celestial was on top with continuous Latin flavored music. Audio from 0521 to 0555 UTC:

Undercover Radio 1710 KHz 17NO12
Old 11-26-2012, 5:12 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just a quick logging to wet everyone's appetite with more to follow as I slowly move my listening post from the cold basement to the warm upstairs.

1440khz WZYX Cowan, TN 2300z (5pm local) booming in with full ident including translators and all. Probably still on 5 kw day power (66w nights).

http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat...atus=L&hours=D

Got the computer recording, so we'll see what else pops through and will share later.

Last edited by k9rzz; 11-26-2012 at 5:18 PM..