where does new york radio go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
hi I wnted to know where new York radio goes after 7 am. Because I start listen to them in the evening around 7pm and listen all night. 3485 comes in after the sun comes up but I cant fine the airplane or controller calling. I tried 13354 and some other ones like 8891 ect but cant fine them. This also go far gander and the other one in the uk . last night 5616khz came in loud and clear airplane and controller. any help please. I use a par long wire antenna and satille 750 radio.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's difficult to know precisely which frequency an aero will switch to. Remember, freqs below 10 Mhz or so need darkness to propagate, above that requires daylight. You would need to pick one and sit for awhile to see if it's truly not being used at that moment.

Notice I said 'at that moment'. Stations like this can and will change freqs if the traffic on the one they're currently using gets too heavy. I've heard this myself on many occasions. So after sunset, limit your searching to freqs below 10Mhz and see what happens. Also keep in mind that propagation may change how things are being heard - we had a class G2 geomagnetic storm start up a few days ago, and that can have a drastic impact on what you hear (it's since subsided)

It's very much a hunt and pounce type operation. This is where having freqs in memory is a big plus

Mike

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
thank you for your reply. What I did today was some google searches along with radiorefernce and came up with a list I think will help me out. I also use some information from a book I have The worldwide Aeronautical commuications by Robert E Evans and came up with some old frequency that seem to still be in use. At this time I am listening to gander on 5616khz at 12:20 am and both sides are coming in clear. How can I find out about the storms u where talking about? Because the night before last night I thought my radio was deaf and nothing was coming in not even have on 75m or 40m.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A good fairly basic site to see what's going on with the sun is spaceweather.com

Mike

brandon

Database Admin
13306, 13297, 13354 (also shares w/ SF), 11330, 11309 and 17952 are the usual day time freqs that I have heard them on.

D

DaveNF2G

If you can't hear them, then "where" they have gone is "out of range of your station."

The range of your station varies with both frequency and time of day.

mattl3320

Premium Subscriber
Thank u all for ur replys I found them on 8891 the day after I made up a new list form the internet and the book I have on hf aero band listening.

majoco

Stirrer
You have to remember that any Aero HF station is not interested in providing listening pleasure for us! They pick their frequencies for the aircraft out to sea where the propagation conditions are quite different given that the transmitter site is usually on the coast. The frequency they may be using could well put you in the dead 'skip' zone. If you listen long enough, you will find that they will have a primary and secondary frequency that changes quite significantly around dawn, midday, late afternoon and dusk. Just keep listening and remember where they were yesterday - likely they will be there today!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Also carefully listen for the replies to the aircraft. On occasion they will tell the operator to go to another frequency. Whether you can hear that frequency is a question of propagation, of course, but at least you know that another frequency is also active at that time

Mike

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
MWARA Frequencies

hi I wnted to know where new York radio goes after 7 am. Because I start listen to them in the evening around 7pm and listen all night. 3485 comes in after the sun comes up but I cant fine the airplane or controller calling. I tried 13354 and some other ones like 8891 ect but cant fine them. This also go far gander and the other one in the uk . last night 5616khz came in loud and clear airplane and controller. any help please. I use a par long wire antenna and satille 750 radio.

Go To: HTTP://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/MWARA

Note that there are several maps dividing the world into various MWARA (Major World Aeronautical Route Areas)

On each individual map you will see little boxes with lists of frequencies in them.
Each little group of frequencies in a little box is a set used to maintain comms in a certain MWARA area.
The frequencies in the little boxes are changed at different times of the day according to changes in HF propagation.

The North Atlantic MWARA (of which New York Radio is just one part) is so busy compared compared to other MWARA that heavily used tracks (NAT-A, NAT-B, CAR-A) are almost exclusively assigned a certain set of frequencies.

NY Radio fades out because changes in the ionosphere do not support HF propagation on certain frequencies.

A very rough rule of thumb is during the day use frequencies over 10 mHz, at night use frequencies below 10 mHz.

Remember that this rule applies to the entire signal path. 7 AM is in NY is 12 noon in London, which means that the HF signal path for planes working NYRadio is almost entirely in daylight.

Last edited:

ecommfan

You might try the local vhf ARINC freq . Here on the west coast the HF freqs usualy get passed on the vhf freq before the flights get into oceanic territory . Looking in the data base I see 129.45 at JFK . Not sure how close you are to JFK .

D

DaveNF2G

You might try the local vhf ARINC freq . Here on the west coast the HF freqs usualy get passed on the vhf freq before the flights get into oceanic territory . Looking in the data base I see 129.45 at JFK . Not sure how close you are to JFK .

JFK has a gazillion ARINC channels (well, not literally...). Still, it's not a bad suggestion to listen to the VHF ops frequencies for specific airlines to see what MWARA freqs they might be recommending.

I am guessing that NY Oceanic (which operates on VHF) would pass info on which HF frequencies were propagating also.

ecommfan

The reason I picked 129.45 from the JFK database is because it does not have a particular airline company next to it . On 129.4 today I was hearing selcal checks and HF freqs being passed for San Francisco Oceanic . You hear the odd phone patch on here as well .

D

DaveNF2G

The most likely reason why no particular airline is listed is that nobody has submitted any identifying info to the RRDB. There are few of these frequencies, especially at larger airports, that are not shared among multiple carriers.

The ARINC channels used for company operations are different from the ARINC channels that are used for air traffic control communications.

Status
Not open for further replies.