Interference from Verizon Fios.

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2KWA

Premium Subscriber
Hello all recently got Verizon Fios installed and now i'm getting terrible hash and noise from it,HF is horrible 75m 80m 160m 28m etc, was on the phone with them (verizon phone tech) and was like talking to myself no knowledge whatsoever. The day Verizon tech hooked up everything as should be a unit outside the house, a backup unit (ups) inside the house just under the window inside and 5 feet away from the outside unit, when I run cat 5 from the modem/router to my comp i get tremendous hash when I remove the cat 5 the noise is totally gone Ido not have phone service just internet and TV... I did some extensive testing changing cat cables ferite chokes 31mix 43mix to no avail!! BUT here is the real kicker when i disconnect power from the Actiontec MI424WR router/modem (just cat 5 from router/modem to computer) and put the coax center pin in the modem first all still quiet on my RX, but when the ground is screwed on my RX is a nightmare??? This blew me away because there is no power being applied to the router so how and what is being transfered to cause the interference grounding?. I checked the outside ground for the unit outside and it is fine...This sounds like a ground issue with the outside unit? I don't know, naturally if i turn off the computer i get no interference at all...all i can say is bizarre!! and thanks BPL...

Any Ideas:

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
Very common when you are pumping up the bandwidth on unshielded twisted pair. Most Ethernet connections create varying levels of RFI. The closer you are to your router or a cat 5e or 6 cable, the more RFI you will likely experience. It is also an unwritten rule of thumb that the RFI will be prominent on the lower parts of the HF spectrum. Even if certain hardware endpoints are turned off, you will still have signal pushed to them and likely cause RFI.

For me, its hard to not have both, so I try to isolate the two technologies the best I can and deal with it. I love playing with RF and enjoy the faster speeds with my FIOS connection. Gotta have em both...:)

Best of luck.

Vince
KI4VBR ... -.-
Palm Harbor/EL88ob

W2KWA

Premium Subscriber
lol Thanks Vince...it's all about the speed, don't get me wrong getting 135 dnload 70 upload is awesome, guess it's give and take..oh well prob just shut down the comp while Dxing...Thanks

n5ims

Did you know that Verizon can configure FiOS to use coax instead of cat 5 for the internet connection between the ONT and your router. Not sure what the limitations are, but they had ours configured that way for quite a while and there was no speed loss.

One other thing to think about is there's a known issue with the FiOS ONT when placed too close to a smart electric meter. The smart meter will interfere with the ONT and cause intermittent issues with internet access and the TV signals. The current guidelines are the ONT be placed a minimum of 18" away from the smart meter. Since they moved ours, the annoying random pauses, lockups, and other issues are a think of the past.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Not familiar with the FIOS equipment, but try shielded cat5? Monoprice.com has STP patch cables fairly cheap.
I found it helped on my LAN.

Status
Not open for further replies.