Lw long wave frequencies / information

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk4dnl

Feed Provider
I have recently purchased my first Short Wave receiver a Tecsun PL-380. This radio has the LW band but I can not seem to find anything to listen too. I do know that Air Navigational Beacons are on this band and I can faintly hear a local beacon here in Commerce GA 30530. But what else is their to listen too on this band? Any AM Voice, SSB, CW, RTTY?

I am a long time UHF, VHF, Air Band scanner listener. But I am new to the whole ShortWave/ Long Wave stuff so any info would be great.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Here in the US, there's not really that much use on LW for broadcasters. There are a few Euro and Asians, but it's never been used for that here. If you do hear a US broadcaster, it's likely to be a mixing product or image..

There are a couple of segments that are used by experimenters (160-190 khz, as I recall, and there's a recently opened range around 470 khz) and hams...the military goes lower still below 100 khz.

The Longwave Club of America is the place to be if you want to learn more about this spectrum. Here's the link...

Longwave Home Page

Mike

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
A lot of the aircraft beacons have shut down in the last few years. There are still a few, and they are fun to chase down. Print out a sheet showing the CW characters and start chasing the few that are left.

DGPS transmitters are out there in many parts of the country, but they aren't much fun unless you want to listen to a bunch of buzzing. New eLoran systems are coming, but in the UK, might be interesting to see if listeners in North America will be able to receive them. WWVB down at 60KHz is another one easy to hear, but it isn't like WWV.

k9rzz

Those LW NDB (non-directional beacons) for aircraft navigation are a nice way to get your feet wet in learning the morse code IMO. While they are being phased out, the band is just chalked full of 'em in the evenings when listening with a higher end receiver and good antenna. Being in Georgia, you'll likely hear some of the European broadcasters as well (with a good radio and antenna). Keep tuning with what you've got though, cuz you NEVER know what you might find one night. :^)

Boombox

Outside of local NDB's (morse code navigation beacons) you probably need a good antenna to hear anything decent on longwave, whether it's a tuned external loop, or a longwire.

There can be exceptions, though. There is one guy on the East Coast who has heard Trans-Atlantic LW stations with just his Sangean ATS-505. But a lot of that may be his location. Even at that, he would probably hear even more with a LW external loop.....

kk4dnl

Feed Provider
I have heard 2 of the NDB in my area one is Bulldog DJB and the other is Commerce DDA south of Commerce GA. Both was very faint and could only hear them for a few minutes. I am only using a small simple receiver Tecsun PL-380 with no external antenna.

Thought it would be neat if one could get a directional antenna hooked up to a LW receiver and using it in conjunction with a compass to triangulate ones position on a map.

majoco

Stirrer
IMHO you'll have to make a loop antenna for longwave - you won't be able to buy one off the shelf.
This website may have some more info....

Longwave Home Page

but just Google for "Longwave loop antenna" and you'll be buried in all that info!

Last edited:

BaofengScanner

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
IMHO you'll have to make a loop antenna for longwave - you won't be able to buy one off the shelf.
This website may have some more info....

Longwave Home Page

but just Google for "Longwave loop antenna" and you'll be buried in all that info!

I made the 4 foot loop off a design on youtube. But I'm still having trouble figuring out where to get or make a tuner.

majoco

Stirrer
where to get or make a tuner.

Do you mean the variable capacitor to tune the loop? Any store that sells radio components should stock them, or else go to a goodwill store and buy the cheapest tube radio they have and rob one from that.

BaofengScanner

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do you mean the variable capacitor to tune the loop? Any store that sells radio components should stock them, or else go to a goodwill store and buy the cheapest tube radio they have and rob one from that.

Oh yeah thats what I mean haha sorry, noob at this. I'll check radioshack thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If you're going to build one, I'd recommend Burhans active loop. I have built a number of them in the past and they work like a charm.

Is this now the AMRAD active antenna I've read about? It's what comes up doing a Google search...Mike

WA8ZTZ

Still plenty of NDBs out there...logged 30 of them before dawn yesterday morning in about 40 minutes.
During the winter at night is best time to listen on LW.

A good antenna is necessary. That portable only has a short ferrite bar internal antenna...not well suited for LW DX reception. Plus, its directional. This can be an advantage when you want to null out an interfering station but can also cause you to miss stations if the radio is pointed the wrong way.

Another issue is a soft mute feature which this DSP radio may have. It can cause you not to hear weak signals as it mutes them. Most NDB signals are going to be very weak and you have to dig them out of the noise.

pb_lonny

I am mostly a MW DXer but do at times have a listen to the LW frequencies. I have found a few beacons and that it all, they are all very weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.