Another LF beacon gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcgrotz

For any fans of logging NDB stations, the 336KHz AZS beacon is gone. Antenna, building, power all gone. The land appears to be in the process of becoming garden plots in the county's Azalea Park. Not sure when it was turned off but I kept driving by on I-64 recently noticing the antenna was gone so I went down there and investigated.

This was the NDB for runway 3 approach to CHO, Charlottesville, VA

nextgenfm

What do you think they plan to do with the longwave band?

It just does not seem very active. I have best luck listening near airports. There appears to more activity in Europe than U.S.

k9rzz

Around here, it's not 100% up to date, but close. One of the local NDBs listed has been gone for several years now, but yes, very cool map.

ab3a

What do you think they plan to do with the longwave band?

It just does not seem very active. I have best luck listening near airports. There appears to more activity in Europe than U.S.

Even in Europe, LW broadcasts are slowly dying off.

Many are taking advantage of the FAA's regulations that allow using a GPS fix in lieu of an actual ADF. I haven't seen many ADF receivers in working condition on an airplane these days.

One major problem with LW are the sheer number of noise sources that radiate on the band. It's plaguing the MW AM band and it's probably worse on LW. I think the future is probably going to be some sort of digital application.

Since it is already used for navigation, perhaps we could use it to augment/replace/backup GPS. I envision using atomic clocks to send precise frequency and time signals from known, surveyed places. Thus, anyone who can hear three or more of them would know where they are. It would have the advantage that it would work inside many buildings where GPS can not reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.