LDS (Mormons) and HF radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Work has me in Salt Lake City this week and I noticed on top of their office tower a nice log parabolic antenna on the roof (as well as other stuff).

A search of the Salt Lake area comes up with WNGV534 with HF freq's licensed, but the control point and transmitter in Guam.

Anyone ever hear anything of/from them, or know more of any operations?

Freq's listed on that license are:

prcguy

I think you can only receive them on the "other side".

Work has me in Salt Lake City this week and I noticed on top of their office tower a nice log parabolic antenna on the roof (as well as other stuff).

A search of the Salt Lake area comes up with WNGV534 with HF freq's licensed, but the control point and transmitter in Guam.

Anyone ever hear anything of/from them, or know more of any operations?

Freq's listed on that license are:

sloop

The antenna you saw is an amateur radio antenna. The church uses amateur radio for emergency communications in both hf and vhf frequencies. It is run by active hams and they have frequent emergency test' and most areas in Utah and Idaho run weekly vhf nets to test communication capabilities. I am not sure if it is licensed to the church or if it is provided for select amateurs (those trained in emergency communications) to use. The Mormon church does stress obtaining amateur radio license among its members.

SkiBob

Premium Subscriber
The church does stress the importance of being prepared for any situation. Amateur radio is certainly a part of that plan. In times of disaster, the church has dispatched teams to help with communications for local government and church leaders. It's no secret the LDS church is one of the first to respond to disaster areas. Isn't it great they have the means to help others?

Check out the video.. wouldn't you like the setup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGoJafigJgg

PJH

Premium Subscriber
They have the means alright. They spare no expense a their buildings inside and out in temple square. Neat place to visit no matter what your beliefs are.

brandon

Database Admin
Here are a couple photos taken the last time I was there.

They also run their own Motorola trunked radio system.

Attachments

• Picture 513.jpg
    Picture 513.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,857
  • Picture 646.jpg
    Picture 646.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1,847

SCPD

QRT
I didn't see a nice log parabolic up there. Must be below the roofline in these pictures.

mikepdx

Searching their FRN, it looks like that Guam xmitter
is just to contact another island who has an almost identical license.

It's interesting (and easy) to search the FCC ULS
for 2-30 mhz (or any freq or range) licenses by state.
You might be surprised who you'll find there.

majoco

Stirrer
The antenna you saw is an amateur radio antenna.

Does an amateur antenna look different to a professional one? I suggest that large log periodic looks a lot like the antennas you see on foreign government embassies and the like. There's a farm of them at a military site near me.

They have the resources to run their own radio network in the non-ham bands. One of the disadvantages of being in the ham bands is that you shouldn't send anything in a encrypted undecipherable format.

ab3a

It is not a log periodic. It is a multi-band yagi with various parasitic elements. It might be a Hy-Gain TH6-DXX antenna with some other antenna stacked above it.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
The church does stress the importance of being prepared for any situation. Amateur radio is certainly a part of that plan. In times of disaster, the church has dispatched teams to help with communications for local government and church leaders. It's no secret the LDS church is one of the first to respond to disaster areas. Isn't it great they have the means to help others?

Check out the video.. wouldn't you like the setup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGoJafigJgg

Used to live in Sandy, UT and SLC. Not an LDS, but a lot of them- MOST of them, are rather agreeable sorts. My ex-boss, an LDS member, gave me an "invite" to apply to take the test to work for the FBI he was leaving our current contract we worked on to go work for them. You can NOT just walk in to apply- someone on the inside has to invite you. I did not take the test. I did ask him about it. Where did I work you might ask? Well it was nothing special but I did something along the lines of "phone work".
FBI test: Apparently about 75% of the test questions are logic puzzles. That is how he offered me the invite- logic puzzles are a pastime of mine. I bet you did not know that quite a large percentage of FBI agents are from SLC and some are LDS. Reason being: clean background, linguistic abilities (on account of their missions) and also the FBI offices are in SLC and NJ. So.. there you have it. The FBI test at that time cost around 220.$, I do not know if it cost the same or if they opened up any more offices across the USA but then (around 2003?) it was only SLC and New Jersey.
Other than that SLC is a lovely place in the winter with snow that appears sprinkled with diamonds when its freshly fallen.

EDIT: sorry what does this have to do with the post? lol sorry forgot to add that I was just reminiscing about how helpful SLC folks are. I must say again they are some of the most pleasant people to be around and they are not afraid to offer assistance if you are in need of anything or just to help in general. Carry on!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
you are correct

It is not a log periodic. It is a multi-band yagi with various parasitic elements. It might be a Hy-Gain TH6-DXX antenna with some other antenna stacked above it.

I knew before I posted "don't see a log periodic" that that antenna was a multiband on the flat side. I was thinking a Force-12 of some sort, but it may be what you said. 'Course I cheated a bit and looked at the top of the building on Bing Maps Birdseye View before I posted anything.

wd4hxg

Look up the Mercury Amateur Radio Association, or MARA.

John
Peoria, AZ

MARA's homepage can be found at MARA - Mercury Amateur Radio Association

From there you can navigate to "regional" groups
which in most cases are now open to anyone without
regard to geographic location.

If you wish to participate in the Church's e-Comm
program contact your Bishop and ask about a ERC.

Chuck WD4HXG

sloop

Talked to a gentleman that works with the radio station in the LDS Church office building. It is part of the ERC system. If I remember correctly the antenna is a Force 12 and the transmitter is an Icom IC-7200. Did not ask about any amplifiers,VHF,UHF, or digital but assume they have everything. I did get an invitation to see the station the next time I am in Salt Lake.

SCPD

QRT
Shutterbug

Talked to a gentleman that works with the radio station in the LDS Church office building. It is part of the ERC system. If I remember correctly the antenna is a Force 12 and the transmitter is an Icom IC-7200. Did not ask about any amplifiers,VHF,UHF, or digital but assume they have everything. I did get an invitation to see the station the next time I am in Salt Lake.

Take some pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.