strange signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

monstermatt2

so back in 2014, i found a program called sdr-radio so after i installed it i was seeing if theirs any in Canada and i found one in Toronto, then i was looking at the frequency's of the time signal in Colorado and when i hit 15.000MHz there was a really strong signal on the waterfall, didn't know what it was so i recorded it, so then i went to another sdr radio on the other side of the world like china or Russia, went back to 15.000MHz and i was still able to hear the signal, but it was a bit weak, so i thought to myself, if this can be heard all around the world,

this is the recording http://static.monstermatt2.net/music/14-Mar-2014-1103 15.000MHz.wav

anyone know what might this be?

majoco

Stirrer
Ionospheric sounder - found all over the shortwave spectrum. Where do they come from? Who knows. Certainly not on 15.000MHz - that is reserved for standard time and frequency stations from all over the world.

Last edited:

Token

This is not an ionospheric sounder, it is instead an OTHR (Over The Horizon Radar). The duration on freq is indicative of OTHR, not sounder or mini-radar forward/backward scatter sounders. Also the varying, repetitive, sweep rates are pretty typical of OTHR.

monstermatt2, it appears you were in AM mode when you recorded this. AM mode filters can be pretty wide. Since the WWV or WWVH signal is not heard, was the frequency not exactly 15 MHz, but just close to it? When you saw the OTHR on the waterfall, did you notice what the center freq of the swept width was? Also, the 1103 in the title of the audio file, I assume that is a time, was it 1103 local time? Or was it UTC. If local to you, what time zone were you in at the time? Also, is it 1103 or is it 2303? The reason I ask is that the time, combined with freq and point of reception, can narrow possible sources somewhat.

Also, for future reference, screen shots that include frequency and display the width by showing a frequency scale of the signal are pretty useful for identification. A better mode for such recordings would be USB as that can better show the sweeps and sweep direction.

T!

monstermatt2

This is not an ionospheric sounder, it is instead an OTHR (Over The Horizon Radar). The duration on freq is indicative of OTHR, not sounder or mini-radar forward/backward scatter sounders. Also the varying, repetitive, sweep rates are pretty typical of OTHR.

monstermatt2, it appears you were in AM mode when you recorded this. AM mode filters can be pretty wide. Since the WWV or WWVH signal is not heard, was the frequency not exactly 15 MHz, but just close to it? When you saw the OTHR on the waterfall, did you notice what the center freq of the swept width was? Also, the 1103 in the title of the audio file, I assume that is a time, was it 1103 local time? Or was it UTC. If local to you, what time zone were you in at the time? Also, is it 1103 or is it 2303? The reason I ask is that the time, combined with freq and point of reception, can narrow possible sources somewhat.

Also, for future reference, screen shots that include frequency and display the width by showing a frequency scale of the signal are pretty useful for identification. A better mode for such recordings would be USB as that can better show the sweeps and sweep direction.

T!

ill keep note of that for next time ;), it was 11:03pm eastern time, i think it was coming somewhere from north america cus when i was on the receivers in toronto and massachusetts, the signal was red or dark red, which was a strong signal, im still trying to see it will come out again around that frequency or anywhere but never heard it again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.