A slooow response...

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
Late 2014 I picked up a short test transmission with a voice-over requesting signal reports to a web page - so I did.....today I got a reply...

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Martin Cook wrote:

Hi guys,

Picked up your test transmission on 6175kHz from 0820UTC until off air at 0827UTC. Strength S9 - short music clips plus voice overs. Location Palmerston North, New Zealand. Antenna 54 foot OCFD, receiver Winradio G303 and Skanti R5000. Good audio with no QRM and a few quick fades.

Cheers - Martin ZL2MC

Hello,

Thank you for your report and I confirm the details are correct. These transmissions were to fault-find on a 300 kW sender at the UK HF transmitter station at Woofferton.

The engineers needed a long test time as the fault was of an intermittent nature.

Babcock, Woofferton is the only remaining UK HF sender broadcast station and also is the only one with this transmission test audio and email address.

The audio is contained in a file playout system and incorporates non-copyright music and voice announcements from one of the employees at the transmitter site.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave G4OYX,

(Retired) Senior Transmitter Engineer Woofferton 1982-2012.

Check out the video presentation of Woofferton on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QovPkM35aF0&feature=youtu.be

....I still don't know who is actually running the station. I occasionally listen to 6175kHz but it's not used by the BBC or any English speaking broadcast. There is a whole series of youtube videos - quite interesting. Hmmm.... :)

Aha - there's was a giveaway in part three - "which we use for CW...." - I wonder who for....?

Last edited:

DPD1

Interesting. It's nice to see HF still has mysteries like this. I passed a tower in California the other day, that has many different kinds of antennas, and a big HF yagi on top. It's adjacent to a sort of ominous looking building with no ID. I'm going to do some research when I get a chance. Anytime I see an HF antenna on a commercial tower, I get curious.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Interesting. It's nice to see HF still has mysteries like this. I passed a tower in California the other day, that has many different kinds of antennas, and a big HF yagi on top. It's adjacent to a sort of ominous looking building with no ID. I'm going to do some research when I get a chance. Anytime I see an HF antenna on a commercial tower, I get curious.

If it was a "secret" receiving/xmitting station, would it be shown on AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more. I wonder if they hide any from that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.