300 kHz in Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
Anyone else picking up this beacon? I can't find an "official" listing for it anywhere...

Chris-M

You might be receiving the USCG DGPS signal (Differential GPS). I'm not hearing anything in Texas on that freq. Is there a Morse code with it or just a digital modulation signal?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Spleen said:
Anyone else picking up this beacon? I can't find an "official" listing for it anywhere...

That's kinda out of my league, to be sure, but it sure isn't HF. Actually, there's a very well known group that specializes in this sort of stuff - the Longwave Club of America, and they even have their own reflector. Perhaps you can get more info there...the URL is:

http://www.lwca.org/

Beacons are part of their specialty.

73s Mike

Spleen

Premium Subscriber
This is all I ever hear...since it's right on the line between the aeronautical and marine aid frequency bands, I thought maybe it would be listed somewhere.....I'll check the lwca guys in the meantime....

Edited: For some reason, I can't attach a zip file of a recording of the signal...if you're curious, PM or email me and I'll send it out...

Edited again: Wunclub has a file marked DGPS that's the closest match I can hope for based on sound alone...but then again, I walked under waaaaaay to many running Galaxy engines many moons ago...but many of the frequencies for the listed stations are all within a whisker of 300kHz.

stevpiz

DGPS beacons

these are all over the 280-320 khz band now

go to airnav.com for a listing of the the USCG DGPS site

I have logged about 15 here in NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.