Can any one listen to Jakarta SWL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yd1tdl

I tried many ways to listen Radio from Jakarta,but never got to listen any Voice from Jakarta specially SSB Amateur on 80 meters. Any one ?????
73....from...YD1TDL

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm not familiar with that call - where are you? Here on the East Coast of the US, hearing Indonesia is very tough.

73s Mike

brandon

Database Admin
From the Western USA you can hear Jakarta MWARA aero route (and Ujung Padang) on 11396 KHz USB when conditions are good mainly in the early morning hours around 3 to 8 am.
There is also a remote receiver Australia that has good Indonesia reception it can be reached on www.dxtuners.com

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You West Coasters got the inside track on Indonesia - there are a great many private HF stations there, and the Voice of Indonesia is very seldom heard or reported.

{insert big green envy here, hi}

Anyone recognize the prefix in that callsign in the first message? I can't come up with it....

73s Mike

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Uh guys, Angus is in Jakarta wondering why he never got to listen to Jakarta? That's like me saying I never heard WRAT when I can see the tower from here.

Maybe my friend Wis YB0AZ can help you out, he lives right down the street.

n5rv

Chemically inert
Premium Subscriber
I've lived in the DFW area for 17 years and have never heard KAIJ (a shortwave broadcaster) located here. I assume their radiation pattern does not favor local reception.

de Jerry N5RV

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
kb2vxa said:
Uh guys, Angus is in Jakarta wondering why he never got to listen to Jakarta? That's like me saying I never heard WRAT when I can see the tower from here.

Maybe my friend Wis YB0AZ can help you out, he lives right down the street.

Appreciate that Warren. Always better when such advice comes from a native.

73s Mike

gcgrotz

I used to hear Port Moresby regularly in the early morning in the Eastern US, I think it was 4980 or 4890 KHz. Especially during spring/fall when daylight was more equal north/south. Haven't tried recently because of the QRM from the ocean wave sounders on that band.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That would be the old Papua New Guinea 4890 outlet (I think - I might have the QSL somewhere...) - haven't heard that in a long time.

Yeah that CODAR xxxx sometimes gets up here - usually it stays around 4790-4810 or thereabouts. I really wish someone would use those antenna buoys for target practice during a submarine training run - and use a live torpedo instead....(and I know a great many DXers who feel the same way...)

73s Mike

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"I've lived in the DFW area for 17 years and have never heard KAIJ (a shortwave broadcaster) located here."

Where is "here"? They claim to be in Dallas TX while the mailing address is Murfreesboro TN and the transmitter site could be just about anywhere. Unfortunately I don't have the proper FCC URL for a lookup or I'd nail it down for you in lat and lon.

"I assume their radiation pattern does not favor local reception."

That depends on how far you are from the transmitter, what frequency you're listening on, and an infinite number of constant variables to borrow a phrase. Without a polar plot of their coverage area furnished by the engineering firm that did the original site survey it's impossible to say. All in all I'd say you're in the skip zone since if you were in the path of the direct wave you'd hear it to one degree or another no matter what the pattern is, no antenna system gives perfect nulls. In other words if you're anywhere near that 100KW transmitter you'd hear it.

BTW, I get a chuckle out of the way those Bible thumpers and broker jokers dance around the FCC's famous shortwave loophole. The rule says the target audience must be outside of the country but the programming says that just ain't so. Brokered air time obviously targets a US audience so the transmitter site, frequencies, and antenna patterns are chosen to blanket as much of North America as possible, the foreign audience is but an afterthought. You may have noticed these guys aren't megawatt flamethrowers like the VOA, 50KW being minimum legal power they barely qualify as fleas on the back of short wave international broadcasting.

Last edited:

yd1tdl

Thaks to all.....ka3jjz ; Brandon ; kb2vxa ; RCA...etc.

I left NYC for Jakarta. so....i know now what its dificultys.

Status
Not open for further replies.