• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

(DMR) 32 character encryption key Hytera issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ursqworrent

I have a Hytera MD785 (DMR) with V6 firmware. I want to add a 32 character encryption key via CPS tot the radio but i get this message: "Encrypt list has been change and the key value is cryptographic. Please retry input!" After I click "ok" it resets tot 10 characters and the programming starts.

Thus a 10 character key works fine. It is just the 32 and 64 character key inputs wich gives problems. Any ideas?

N8IAA

Not to sound like the RR radio police, but, why would you put encryption on a ham frequency when it's not allowed? If you are asking for commercial, then there is an appropriate forum for that purpose.
Larry

Ursqworrent

In the Netherlands it is allowed to talk with encryption on a ham frequency. Only your call has to be anounced uncrypted. But that wasn't the question. Please reply only when you have a solution, not to tell me what is allowed and wat isn't, I know the rules. Thank you.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Not to be rude but a lot of posters never indicate where they are from. The assumption as this is a US forum that it applies to the US. I just wish posters would indicate what country they are from. This would avoid some of the rudeness that seems to occur from time to time. I know this doesn't answer your question but posting it in the European thread or indicating country of origin will certainly help.

Ursqworrent

Thanks Robertmac. Maybe it was better to use my call as nickname for this forum, I didn't know it was US only.

I have a lot of experience in forums and in the beginning of internetfora you asked a question end someone else posted the answer. Nowadays there a lot of posters which points out the rules instead of answering the question. If I was rude in my answer is I apoligize for that.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, this thread has gone of the rails.

The OP asked a question. If you have an answer to the OP's question, please chime in. If all you are going to do is question why the OP didn't tell us where he was from, then keep your thoughts to yourself.

Ursqworrent

If I was rude in my answer I apoligize for that, it was not meant to be. I have a lot of experience in using internetfora. In the beginning of the internetfora, a poster asks a questions and someone else posted the answer. Nowadays many posters points out the rules instead of answering the question or giving answers which have nothing to do with the topic title.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Are you sure that the 32 and 64 character keys are being reverted to 10 characters? The reason I ask is that some software reverts the asterisks to a certain number, i.e., 10. When you type in the key, is it hidden with asterisks or is it in plain view? I don't have any experience with Hytera, but some software will show the key while typing and when you select another area of the software, it will shade out. Some have the option of hiding the key while typing. Just trying to make sure that it really is reverting to 10 characters.

By the way, this forum is not United States Only. It is open to everyone as long as they follow the rules. What the other poster meant was that the forum is US-Based, so the assumption is that users are from the US unless otherwise noted by the user. Although not a requirement, a lot of members from other areas of the World typically put their general location in the "Location" area of their profile. This keeps confusion to a minimum.

Ursqworrent

Thanks. The key is visible when you type it, it gets invisible when you read it back from the radio for security reasons so nobody can read the key from the radio.

The software shortens the key to 10 characters after a popup screen appears with the message :"Encrypt list has been change and the key value is cryptographic. Please retry input!" The key is still visible when you program the radio.

I will put my loaction in my profile.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Man, I wish I could be of more help. It does sound like it is changing it. Are there any other settings in the software that might force the radio to only do 10 character?

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I have made the mistake of assuming the value was any alpha-numberic value and the software was looking for only HEX values. (0-F) The error message was about a cryptic as your. :D Application was not programing a Hytera radio, something completely different, but may be useful information.

Good luck!

Thanks. The key is visible when you type it, it gets invisible when you read it back from the radio for security reasons so nobody can read the key from the radio.

The software shortens the key to 10 characters after a popup screen appears with the message :"Encrypt list has been change and the key value is cryptographic. Please retry input!" The key is still visible when you program the radio.

I will put my loaction in my profile.

Ursqworrent

Man, I wish I could be of more help. It does sound like it is changing it. Are there any other settings in the software that might force the radio to only do 10 character?

I also thought there, the software is very large, you can change a lot of settings in these radio's. Maybe there is a setting which does the trick but I can't find it :)

Ursqworrent, I'm not sure if you will get this, but I believe the issue is this. You read the radio with the software, and are now trying to add another key. You need to re-enter the existing keys first. You cannot simply add additional keys. I too ran into this issue.

Basically, if you see asterisks in the key value, they need to be re-entered UNLESS you are not changing any of the keys (IE you are doing anything not related to the encryption keys).

The easiest way to get around this is to save the codeplug after entering all the keys in, then always editing that instead of reading the radio, making changes, and then programming.

I hope this reaches you, or at least this helps someone else.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Try checking the 32 or 64 characters box, then un-check the 10 characters box. That should allow you to enter the larger key values. Also, be aware that on the individual channels.. when you assign the encryption key you will only (likely) be able to select 'Basic' as the encrypt type (not full). Full encrypt is a purchased feature (other than the 40 bit/10 character key which is compatible with MotoTRBO's Enhanced Privacy).

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to Industry Discussion since the Hytera isn't an amateur product.

RayAir

I see the thread is a bit old, but I think this may be the problem:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-19-00-05-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-19-00-05-35.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,574
Status
Not open for further replies.