• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F3161 programming help

Status
Not open for further replies.

keary

Premium Subscriber
Hello.

I have been trying for the past half hour to get my pc to talk to my brand new F3161. I keep getting the transceiver is not responding message so I have a few questions.

First, what should I see on the display after I turn the power on while holding the P0 button? I have no idea how to tell if the radio is in clone mode or not. What should I be seeing or hearing?

Second, how I find out what COM port number to use? I have the radio connected to the pc with the serial port to radio programming cable. I have no idea what COM port the serial port is assigned.

Thank you for the help.

keary

12dbsinad

Use com port 1. Do not do anything to the radio it does not need to be in any type of programming mode. Connect the program cable and power up, there are no other steps needed. Other than that make sure you have the latest software version and make sure its for a 3161 and not a 3061. The 3061 is the first version radio, looks identical but different RSS. Just shooting from the hip.

dapaq2

keary,

If you still need help with this issue please let me know, I can help you with these questions/issues and I beleive that I know what your experiencing that your pc wont communicate with the radio. If you still need help what Operating System are you using on your PC?

Doug

keary

Premium Subscriber
Problem solved. The serial port of my pc was disabled therefore neither the radio nor the pc could communicate with one another. My brother with the PhD in computer engineering set himself as the administrator essentially locking me out of of setting ports, etc.

I ended up using a entirely different pc and radio and pc talked to each other just fine right off the bat. The radio is now programmed and works great. I am very happy with it.

Thank you to all who replied to my question.

kear

Last edited:

X9X0

I am also having issues programming my 3161DT, the hard drive on my laptop recently retired and the CD I have is too badly damaged to read. Can anyone here help me? stevecap@gmail.com

KC2PXV

I am having issues with programming an iCOM CS-F11. I have the software loaded but it won't recognize my port or something. I tried COM ports 1 through 4 and all have an error message.

X9X0

I just sucked it up and bought the software again. but now It still wont let me write to it...., I can read all the current info from the radio but It will not let me clone the information back to the radio. It replies with " no answer from transceiver. Please check the following: -com settings, cable connectins, and that the transceiver is powered on." It seems to me that if the software will read that i am on the correct com port, and also that the cable is connected properly and the power is on as well. Any ideas?

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Try...

I am having issues with programming an iCOM CS-F11. I have the software loaded but it won't recognize my port or something. I tried COM ports 1 through 4 and all have an error message.

On the single-pin connector, try GENTLY pushing the connector forwards or backwards during cloning. The F11 has a bad habit of the 3.5 socket coming separated from the main board.

grumps96

Hi, I have the same thing occur whenever I program my F4TR radios, without changing any connections or settings, I am able to read the radio, then when trying to program I get the same error messages. I just acknowledge the errors and then keep trying to program the unit. after three for four tries the programming succeeds. It might take less than three or more the four, but persistance gets it done.

missabe

Same Problem with Programming

I have a new ICOM F3161T and the proper software, but my WinXT operating system won't let me program the radio. I'm able to enter the data into the zone information, but when I attempt to clone I receive "turn receiver on" [it is], "make certain the cable is correct" [it is] and "use the proper COM port. I've used ALL of the COM port options and still no hope.

gmrsoutlet

I have a new ICOM F3161T and the proper software, but my WinXT operating system won't let me program the radio. I'm able to enter the data into the zone information, but when I attempt to clone I receive "turn receiver on" [it is], "make certain the cable is correct" [it is] and "use the proper COM port. I've used ALL of the COM port options and still no hope.

Did you check the com port assignment of your USB cable in device manager? Guessing at the com port is not the way to figure it out.

missabe

USB Assignment

My device manager [HP notebook] doesn't provide ANY help. COM1 is shown as a serial port, while the USB files [all 8 of them] simply are listed as Intel. The radio actually shows up as an "unknown" USB connection using power from the computer, but that's all.

SCPD

QRT
On the F4161 and F3161 portables, i have had problems early on when it came to programming. Id get comm errors. I did some digging, and found that if you press and hold the P0 (far left programmable key) while powering on, you can then get it to communicate. Give it a shot.

cmelville42

Premium Subscriber
I just sucked it up and bought the software again. but now It still wont let me write to it...., I can read all the current info from the radio but It will not let me clone the information back to the radio. It replies with " no answer from transceiver. Please check the following: -com settings, cable connectins, and that the transceiver is powered on." It seems to me that if the software will read that i am on the correct com port, and also that the cable is connected properly and the power is on as well. Any ideas?
I am getting exactly this same error with my new F5061. I can read the configuration OK (and all the programming) but get an error when writing to it.

I am using ver 2.8 of CS-F3160/F5060 software. Any ideas?

Chris

gmrsoutlet

What firmware version is on the radio?

Connect the radio to your computer, and click on "Clone -> Information".

You likely have unmatched firmware for the software version that you are running.

Status
Not open for further replies.