RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > ICOM Land Mobile Radio

ICOM Land Mobile Radio Discussion forum for ICOM land mobile radio equipment such as the IC-F series radios. Please do not post amateur radio topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Question The narrowband programming in the software

A quick question on the programming software. With narrowband just around the corner, was just wondering if I am correct on this:

You have a channel that you talk to your dispatch with on a regular basis and it is set to Wide at this time. You decide to change Wide to Narrow on the programming. OK, here is the question:
when you transmit to dispatch, does the radio convert the frequencies to Narrowband or do you need to program the narrowband frequencies in and place the programming to N when you program the radio?
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandmstone View Post
A quick question on the programming software. With narrowband just around the corner, was just wondering if I am correct on this:

You have a channel that you talk to your dispatch with on a regular basis and it is set to Wide at this time. You decide to change Wide to Narrow on the programming. OK, here is the question:
when you transmit to dispatch, does the radio convert the frequencies to Narrowband or do you need to program the narrowband frequencies in and place the programming to N when you program the radio?
Lets say you are wideband on 158.7575

You must but the N in to change it to Narrowband.

Same thing with say 156.000
Old 08-07-2010, 6:13 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Arrow

OK, but when you transmit, does the radio, when in narrowband and you have the same frequencies on that channel, does the radio convert the old frequencies to narrowband or do I need to do the math, change the "old" frequencies to narrowband and keep the column on the software to N?
(Sorry, I can see what I am trying to say, but putting it in words is a little confusing)
Old 08-07-2010, 7:48 PM

Just program "N" into any channel you want to operate narrowband on - the radio will then transmit and receive at 12.5 KHz bandwidth on that channel (frequency). The radio does not change the RF frequency, just the bandwidth of the frequency. Beware of the potential issues of using a narrowband radio to talk to a wideband radio and vise versa. Also, only Part 90 VHF and UHF frequencies are affected by the 2013 Narrowbanding Mandate. See for additional accurate and up-to-date information
Old 08-07-2010, 9:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thumbs up

Thanks! That explains it a little better. The links helped out as well.
Sponsored links
Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandmstone View Post
OK, but when you transmit, does the radio, when in narrowband and you have the same frequencies on that channel, does the radio convert the old frequencies to narrowband or do I need to do the math, change the "old" frequencies to narrowband and keep the column on the software to N?
(Sorry, I can see what I am trying to say, but putting it in words is a little confusing)

There should be no math. If you are presently on wideband 156.1000 and go narrowband on the same frequency, it will still be 156.1000 - no change except you make it (N)

What is tripping up a LOT of people - the actual frequency does not designate narrow or wideband.

453.1125 - four digits to the right of the the period, does NOT mean it is a narrowband channel. We
see a lot of people claiming that they can program their two way radio to a frequency like that - and then claiming their radio will do narrowband.

IE, there is no "math" to be done.
Old 08-11-2010, 9:32 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Maybe this will help folks understand narrowing-banding.....I'll use one of the mutual-aid fire frequencies
as an example...154.280.
My 'home' is located at 280 on 154th St....& the government has given me a yard 10 feet wide....
275 to 280 to 285......that's 10 feet. Now the government has decided that I don't need a yard
that big, & since they need more space, they are moving my fences in 2 & 1/2 feet on each side,
leaving me a yard 5 feet wide......I've been narrowed...& my address is still the same..280 on 154th St.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There's no need to change the programmed frequency when switching from wideband to narrowband, since the frequency you enter is the CENTER frequency of the channel regardless of bandwidth. The center remains the same, only the width of the channel changes.

Audio issues that are possible with a mismatch between wide and narrowband are as follows:

Narrowband radio receives wideband signal: Squelch blocking may occur when deviation peaks get high enough. The receiver may mute out if it hears too much modulation.

Wideband radio receives narrowband signal: Received audio level will be low. You may have to turn
up the volume.

Elroy

Tags
narrowband