• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cheap Programming Cable Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjthomas59

All,

I've really been struggling with getting my Icom radios programmed. Admitedly part of the problem is my own making, as I was trying to go the cheap route and not pay the $100+ for factory programming cables for each of the various Icom models I own. Naturally i'm getting the code 10 errors and the "your hardware was installed but your device may not work properly" when I plug in the USB programming cables. This has persisted after following the detailed instructions, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, etc

Ive tried the driver CD's which came with the cables and also downloaded the latest driver software direct from Prolific. Still no luck. I've tried this on a 32bit XP machine and a 64bit Vista machine both with the same problems. I've searched the web and it seemed as though many people were having trouble with a 64-bit OS which led me to blow the dust off the old 32bit machine. I also have a 64bit OS with Win7 but my thinking was I needed an older machine as opposed to a new machine(such as a win98 OS) to make everything run smoothly.

My 32bit XP does have a 9-pin port on the back so would using this instead of relying on the USB drivers solve my issues?

Thanks for the help! I guess my last resort is to quit being a cheapa$$ and buy the real stuff lol Or pay the $35 bucks for dealer programming and wait weeks for radio to be returned (my experience with a local dealer, not suggesting every dealer is that price or that wait period)

RADIOGUY2002

Update

"Or pay the $35 bucks for dealer programming and wait weeks for radio to be returned (my experience with a local dealer, not suggesting every dealer is that price or that wait period) "

35.00 Is a pretty standard thing, the week delay is how fast someone can get to it or time enroute to you or from you.

Profilic requires a speciffic chip set cable for certain aftermarket cables, cheap is not a bad thing as long as you know it works or how to get it fixed to make it work. And yes they can be had for a good price across the board. Ask around you might be surprise who can get you a deal.

mjthomas59

Yes my aggravation about the $35 bucks stems from paying over $1 per channel to be programmed. The "wait weeks" was literally waiting 6 weeks after dropping it off to get it back(the shop is local so no time was lost in dropping it off or picking it up), only to find it wasn't even programmed the way I asked. Again this is an issue with a local radio shop and I don't believe it reflects on EVERY radio shop.

Either way I figured the road to least aggravation would be buying the cables and software myself. I guess i'll skim through the Prolific page and see if they have any older drivers I could try. I've programmed other makes of radios and scanners before using the cheap usb cables and never had a problem, I was just surprised it was so difficult this time around with the Icoms.

jim202

All,

I've really been struggling with getting my Icom radios programmed. Admitedly part of the problem is my own making, as I was trying to go the cheap route and not pay the $100+ for factory programming cables for each of the various Icom models I own. Naturally i'm getting the code 10 errors and the "your hardware was installed but your device may not work properly" when I plug in the USB programming cables. This has persisted after following the detailed instructions, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, etc

Ive tried the driver CD's which came with the cables and also downloaded the latest driver software direct from Prolific. Still no luck. I've tried this on a 32bit XP machine and a 64bit Vista machine both with the same problems. I've searched the web and it seemed as though many people were having trouble with a 64-bit OS which led me to blow the dust off the old 32bit machine. I also have a 64bit OS with Win7 but my thinking was I needed an older machine as opposed to a new machine(such as a win98 OS) to make everything run smoothly.

My 32bit XP does have a 9-pin port on the back so would using this instead of relying on the USB drivers solve my issues?

Thanks for the help! I guess my last resort is to quit being a cheapa$$ and buy the real stuff lol Or pay the $35 bucks for dealer programming and wait weeks for radio to be returned (my experience with a local dealer, not suggesting every dealer is that price or that wait period)

Not too much of the radio programming software will run on Vista. It was a very poor software package
that was a dream put in the same class as ME. They both died a very short life. Most of the radio
programming software is very stable on Windows XP. I stand on using the PRO version rather than the
HOME version of it. I also tend not to use the USB programming cables unless there is no other
route to take. Problem with that is most of the current laptops don't even have a serial 9 pin port
anymore.

We program a large variety of different brands of radios. Some are done with factory cables, some are
done with after market cables and some are done with cables I have made myself. The choice is
more of what the radio programming interface connector is rather than anything else.

RADIOGUY2002

"Yes my aggravation about the $35 bucks stems from paying over $1 per channel to be programmed. The "wait weeks" was literally waiting 6 weeks after dropping it off to get it back(the shop is local so no time was lost in dropping it off or picking it up), only to find it wasn't even programmed the way I asked. Again this is an issue with a local radio shop and I don't believe it reflects on EVERY radio shop"

I can say I don't operate that way, however I do bill at flat rate per hour. It easier if you gave me a list and the specs to go from. Makes for qwick setup.

"Either way I figured the road to least aggravation would be buying the cables and software myself. I guess i'll skim through the Prolific page and see if they have any older drivers I could try. I've programmed other makes of radios and scanners before using the cheap usb cables and never had a problem, I was just surprised it was so difficult this time around with the Icoms"

I'm kinda surprised your having the issues, but then again I'm running xp. I found to be more stable then other os, not saying its perfect by any means. Profilic cable adapter for serials seems to be the best investment at this point, should you chose programming via serial for those that don't have a 9 pin port. As mentioned aboved I assumed you checked the firmware with the software version.

mjthomas59

Yes my next step would be to try and 9-pin cable and stay away from the USB cables when that is an option. I'm also going to stay away from my Vista computer and stick with the computer running XP also. Hopefully that will resolve some of these issues.

Thanks for the help!

X9X0

can you read info from the radio? I can but i am unable to write to it.. It replies, "No answer from transceiver" same problem as you?

jim202

can you read info from the radio? I can but i am unable to write to it.. It replies, "No answer from transceiver" same problem as you?

Let me point out a common problem in using a USB to serial adapter. They are not all made the same.
Some work well and others plain are crap.

Another issue that you may be having is that not all computer USB ports are the same. Some are full
function USB ports with power for external devices and some are limited function. You might try a
different port on your computer and see if it makes a difference on how your programming works.

X9X0

so what you're saying is if i have serial cable to the radio it's clear sailing from there... happen to know the pinout for DB-9 to the multi-connector icom interface? I'd gladly make a cable if it would fix the issue....

mjthomas59

The error I am getting is directly related to the USB ports. I have tried other ports however I haven't had any luck. I've also tried different driver software and still no dice.

Of course I thought my solution was switching to a 9-pin programming cable and using it to program my f33. That still didn't work... which just adds to the aggravation lol

I'm gonna keep trying, surely sooner or later something will work. I've got an even older computer, pre-XP, probably Win98, that i'm gonna try and fire up, maybe that dinosaur will solve my issues.

RADIOGUY2002

A-SERIAL ADAPTER-Prolific One is recommended if going the 9 pin route. B-Stable OS, C-Current software to match firmware on the radio. D-Correct Com Ports, checking to see if there is an I/O conflict. Pin structure on able or ports, pin readers on the radio.

mjthomas59

Well i've finally had some success. I got my f50v programmed using my Vista 64bit system. I actually went against what most websites recommend and used the oldest prolific drivers I could find. That driver set shows a copyright of 2003. The cable installed properly, I ran the software, hooked up the radio, and presto everything worked.

I also did the same thing, used the oldest drivers I could find, these from 2004, on my XP machine and got the cable to install properly for my F33-GS. However this time I am still getting the "Can not access comport" error inside the Icom software. I checked in the windows device manager that the comport for the cable is "COM4". I selected this in the software, still no luck. I did the same thing on my Vista machine, got the cable to install properly, chose correct comport inside software, then tried to get "information" and "read" and still got the "can not access comport" error.

I am now wondering if maybe I don't have the correct software for this radio? The software I have says "Icom G Series revision 2.3" on the opening screen. Is there software specifically for the GS? Under the model select screen it gives me 5 different options. There is LMR 2-tone, PMR 5-tone/DTMF, BIIS PMR, MDC LMR, and MDC PMR. I don't have a clue what any of those mean, which led me to think I don't have the correct software.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I was so excited last night when I got the cables working I did a cartwheel lol Now if i can just get this 33gs going i'll be all set.

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

Last edited:

shockhazard69

Feed Provider
The correct software for the F33 is CS-F33G Rev. 2.3.

It doesn't sound like you have the correct software as it says "Cloning software for the IC-F33G series" which includes the F-33GS and GT radios as well as the F43GS and GT.

As far as where to find that, I'd start with one of the many dealers online. They will sell you a copy.

mjthomas59

That is my error. The software says "F33 G Series" and it is rev 2.3. Any other thoughts, is there something I need to do to get the radio into programming mode or something? I was just surprised when the cable installed correctly but the software still won't connect with the radio.

I have tried to write a file, read a file, and check the info on the radio, all resulted in the same error.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

shockhazard69

Feed Provider
Go to Control Panel/System/Device Manager and make sure there the cable shows up under Com Ports without any Exclamation Point or anything and note the Com Port #. (If there is an Error or you were trying the wrong com port # this is your problem)

In the software Select the proper com port (1-4 or select more and type in whatever number it was).

You should be able to read/write to the radio. Depending on the radio's firmware, you would either select MDC LMR (Newer) or LMR (2 tone) (Older).

RADIOGUY2002

Also, not some aftermarket cables do not place nice as I have learned in the case of the kenwood tk-290/390 series. However, a serial port cable did the trick with a profilc adapter. Its a hit and miss thing. It can somewhat time consuming if using aftermarket cables.

shockhazard69

Feed Provider
Also, not some aftermarket cables do not place nice as I have learned in the case of the kenwood tk-290/390 series. However, a serial port cable did the trick with a profilc adapter. Its a hit and miss thing. It can somewhat time consuming if using aftermarket cables.

This is how I have the best luck. Serial port adapter that I get working once and then plug a serial port cable into it. Much easier than trying to work with multiple cables as the drivers do not like to play nice.

mjthomas59

Well after a tremendous amount of aggravation I finally got it going and got my Icoms programmed using a 64bit Vista OS. Also got the cables installed properly on my XP machine but didn't use it for programming.

Here are some tips/tricks that i've learned along the way. I used the cheapest cables I could find via ebay, most of which cost approximately $10-$15 with shipping from China and Hong Kong.

#1 Make sure you have the newest/latest revision of the software for your radio

#2 Use the oldest drivers you can find from Prolific if you are using USB cables

*All the websites I read told me to use either "the driver software that came with the cable" or "the newest drivers from the Prolific website". Although that is probably a good idea in most situations it is the exact opposite in this situation. The copyright 2003 drivers for Vista worked, the copyright 2004 drivers for XP worked. The 2005 version and the 2009 version would not install the cable correctly after numerous attempts, changing comports etc.

#3 Go to device manager after your cable is plugged in to confirm that it is installed correctly and to figure out which comport the cable is using. After you figure it out set it to the correct comport in the Icom software

#4 Be prepared that if someone else programmed your radio before you got it there is a 50/50 chance that you can't read what is already on the radio. That means starting your own file from scratch, so be prepared to have to play around with the squelch settings, button settings, etc This could be a major issue if your radio is suppose to identify itself on a radio network and you don't know what the ID settings are

#5 Make sure you are using the correct cable. Sounds ridiculous but for instance my F33 uses the older style 2-prong connector for a shoulder mic. This is the same 2-prong connector as is found on my Kenwood tk-260, Puxing 777, most GMRS radios, a lot of HAM equipment etc etc BUT while the other radios use a 2-prong connector for the programming cable, the Icom F33 DOES NOT! The proper cable has only one connector (the longer prong of the 2) and it will not work if you use a 2-prong programming cable. I tried it just to see what would happen and it would not connect to the Icom using a 2-prong USB programming cable.

#6If you get the wrong cable drivers installed you have to delete the most current off your system. The device manager seems to always search for the "latest driver version" on your computer. If you have the 2003 drivers and the 2009 drivers it will typically revert back to 2009, which won't do you any good. It may also become necessary to uninstall your Icom software, get the correct drivers, get the cable to install properly, then reinstall the Icom Software. Not sure why that is a big deal but it solved a connection issue I was having. So if your cable installs correctly, you have the correct comport selected, and your software still won't connect to your radio, try reinstalling the Icom software.

#7 Probably the most important of all, be PATIENT! It took me literally weeks to get this stuff going, but now I've reprogrammed all my Icoms numerous times while I tweak the programming and I haven't had any problems at all.

Hopefully that will help someone who was in my boat and trying to do things on a tight budget! Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.