• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Anyone familiar with the IC-V100 mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

methusaleh

I recently obtained one of these with a programmer for cheap. The previous owner was very knowledgeable and everything works great. Then I bought a second V100 that was allegedly working fine, and it seems rife with problems. To make a long story short, I think something is wrong with the "body" of the radio, since the "head" seems to accept programming just fine (works with the other "body" I have), and the body of the questionable radio does the same thing no matter which head is on it.

The radio powers up and properly accepts programming from my EX494 programmer. There is no RX audio at all, even with a handheld TXing an inch away from an antenna that is connected to the radio. I held the squelch wide open and turned up the volume, and still no RX. Of note, the open squelch button and volume controls work fine, as does the speaker jack. When I attempt to TX, the radio either turns itself off and then back on again, or the display starts blinking, and it does not TX. I put my identical V100 on the same power supply (Astron 35A) and antenna connection (1/4 wave base antenna, SWR less than 1.5:1), and it TXs and RXs perfectly, so I know the problem is not the power supply, coax, or antenna. I swapped out the mics between the two radios, and the same things were observed. I swapped out the control heads (put the control head from my other V100 on the problematic radio) and once again the problems persist.

An educated guess at this point would be that the "body" of the radio (for lack of a better term...meaning not the control head portion) is damaged internally. Another possibility is that the connection between the head and the body is not quite correct, although I tried several times to line it up perfectly and connect it tightly. Perhaps the white "pinned" connector is not working? I am not sure. I have not cracked open the body of the radio to have a look yet.

Any furthur assistance would be helpful.

StraySignals

I recently obtained one of these with a programmer for cheap. The previous owner was very knowledgeable and everything works great. Then I bought a second V100 that was allegedly working fine, and it seems rife with problems. To make a long story short, I think something is wrong with the "body" of the radio, since the "head" seems to accept programming just fine (works with the other "body" I have), and the body of the questionable radio does the same thing no matter which head is on it.

The radio powers up and properly accepts programming from my EX494 programmer. There is no RX audio at all, even with a handheld TXing an inch away from an antenna that is connected to the radio. I held the squelch wide open and turned up the volume, and still no RX. Of note, the open squelch button and volume controls work fine, as does the speaker jack. When I attempt to TX, the radio either turns itself off and then back on again, or the display starts blinking, and it does not TX. I put my identical V100 on the same power supply (Astron 35A) and antenna connection (1/4 wave base antenna, SWR less than 1.5:1), and it TXs and RXs perfectly, so I know the problem is not the power supply, coax, or antenna. I swapped out the mics between the two radios, and the same things were observed. I swapped out the control heads (put the control head from my other V100 on the problematic radio) and once again the problems persist.

An educated guess at this point would be that the "body" of the radio (for lack of a better term...meaning not the control head portion) is damaged internally. Another possibility is that the connection between the head and the body is not quite correct, although I tried several times to line it up perfectly and connect it tightly. Perhaps the white "pinned" connector is not working? I am not sure. I have not cracked open the body of the radio to have a look yet.

Any furthur assistance would be helpful.

It could be a few things why the audio isn't working. In most cases it is in the control head, but you ruled that out, by swapping heads. So... did you check on the main board following IC's (The main board is on the top when the radio is facing you):
IC2 which is a NJM4558D a dual operational amp,
the audio control chip? That gizmo is IC3 and should be a MC3340.
the audio amp, a UPC1241H (IC4) which is mounted to the chassie, on the very top left corner standing up (between the row of caps on the left and the chassie on the left.
There are datasheets of them in the internet.
You have to have a mic connected in order to get audio at the back, or you have to jumper a couple pins on the mic plug, other than that you get very faint audio.
Putting a handheld really close to the broken radio does nothing, as there is something wrong with the audio chip, not the receiver. The low power FM IF chip is IC1 (MC3357).

SS

Status
Not open for further replies.