• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help programming Icom F60

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeko416

Hello All,

I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem, but after "successfully" programming two of my radios and testing them inside the room to make sure they received and transmitted as well to each other, I finally took it out for a spin this weekend.

The issue is that, the radios would send and receive perfectly fine when at distance to each other with line of sight. But the moment I walk behind an obstruction, the signal goes dead.

I was never really able to find a proper guide on the internet to programming these things. After some trial and error, I finally managed to get them to talk with each other.

It was also a hassle to buying to the right version software for programming as well. Are there any proper tests that I can perform to isolate the issue or a guide to setting up portable radios via programming software?

Thanks!

cabletech

Where did you get the radio's? If not yours to start with, then they may need to be looked at with a full bench test equipment to make sure they are working correctly.

The correct software is CS-F50

What kind of obstruction?

There should be no reason they can not talk to each other as long as they are correctly aligned.
If you have the correct software, there is a build in help guide. Just select the item, then do right click for the help menue for that item.

neeko416

Where did you get the radio's? If not yours to start with, then they may need to be looked at with a full bench test equipment to make sure they are working correctly.

The correct software is CS-F50

What kind of obstruction?

There should be no reason they can not talk to each other as long as they are correctly aligned.
If you have the correct software, there is a build in help guide. Just select the item, then do right click for the help menue for that item.

Thanks for replying!

The radios were retired after years of service and released to me instead of the trashbin :)
According to the lady, these units were perfectly fine and were only getting retired due to them getting newer models. So as far as operation is concerned, I don't think there is anything wrong with them (I hope)

After a huge initial headache, I managed to source the correct version software for the radios based on their serial numbers. The software that I am using now is CS F50 MDC

The obstruction I was referring to earlier in my post was actually around the block. You see, transmitting and receiving in side the house was perfectly fine. But the moment I stepped out of the house and took a stroll around the block, whatever I transmitted becomes inaudible static.

I've never really programmed radios before and it seems that there are alot more options in the program than there oughta be.

Let me try to reconstruct the programing screen here:
(In Memory CH bank)
CH - 1- 1
Atr - A (I don't think priority A or B makes much of a difference. Just default??)
Inh - BLANK
RX - 462.5625
TX - <-
TX Inh - BLANK
W/N - W (Default. Should I be using N?)
SQL Tight - BLANK
RX - BLANK *C. Tone
TX - BLANK *C. Tone
Text - 01
Compander - BLANK
TOT - BLANK
RF PWR - H (Default)
PWR Save - ON (Default)
Lock-out - BLANK
Scan List - 1_______ (Default) *Scan List
Inc - Inc (Default) *Scan List
Auto Reset - Tim-B (Default)
TX - BLANK *2Tone
RX C.No _________ *2Tone
Log - BLANK
ON/OFF - BLANK *Scrambler
Code/Type - ____1 (Default) *Scrambler

Default = Automatically selected

Did I do anything wrong??? There's also a ton of other options that I would probably never use. Being that I've never dabbled in the radio world before, some of the terms are quite confusing!

neeko416

Forgot to mention that I actually had to turn on SQL TIGHT or else the radio just keeps broadcasting nonstop static.

CCHLLM

Did you set the SQL Level in SET mode or in the software under the Common folder before you programmed the radio?

neeko416

Did you set the SQL Level in SET mode or in the software under the Common folder before you programmed the radio?

Didn't dabble on the SQL except for what was on the channel bank menu option.

In this case, I set SQL TIGHT to ON and according to the CS F50 help page (or atleast my understanding of it), by setting the SQL TIGHT to ON via the channel bank, it defaults to that level?

Reading online, the SQL knob is a 2nd part of the main knob that allows for adjustment. However, on the F60, there is only 1 knob which controls volume and is the main switch for turning the unit on.

Thanks!

cabletech

Ok, from you listing of items, all is good except you need to change mode (W/N) to 'N' for the narrow band.

For the SQL, you need to go to the radio adjust program an then read the radio, then go to sql and set it until you see the green recieve lite on the radio go out, then increase by two, (exmp--lite goes out at 65, increase to 67), do not chage anything else.

Turn of the radio, then turn back on, now while still in adjust, 'read' the radio, check the sql setting, is it now at the level you set it at?

This will 'turn off' the constant noise until a signal is recieved.

Are you going to use these radios just for your self or are you tieing in with some one else? If just for your self, I would put a RX code in and then you only hear the other radio.

If tieing in with some one else, find out what RX code they use and put that in, by using a recieve code you only hear the people/radio you wish and not the other 2000 people.

These radios do not have an adjustable knob/button for the sql., it is all software. Go back to the options page on turn off sql tight.

Let us know what happens.

neeko416

Ok, from you listing of items, all is good except you need to change mode (W/N) to 'N' for the narrow band.

For the SQL, you need to go to the radio adjust program an then read the radio, then go to sql and set it until you see the green recieve lite on the radio go out, then increase by two, (exmp--lite goes out at 65, increase to 67), do not chage anything else.

Turn of the radio, then turn back on, now while still in adjust, 'read' the radio, check the sql setting, is it now at the level you set it at?

This will 'turn off' the constant noise until a signal is recieved.

Are you going to use these radios just for your self or are you tieing in with some one else? If just for your self, I would put a RX code in and then you only hear the other radio.

If tieing in with some one else, find out what RX code they use and put that in, by using a recieve code you only hear the people/radio you wish and not the other 2000 people.

These radios do not have an adjustable knob/button for the sql., it is all software. Go back to the options page on turn off sql tight.

Let us know what happens.

Turned off the SQL tight today and also took the time out to program in the FRS frequencies.

It took quite a while to finally get the radio to stop shouting at me while setting the SQL and it works perfect on 1 channel.

The FRS channels are a hit/miss. Some channels I get nothing but non stop static while other channels its a on and off thing.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
The memory channel info you posted looks functional for simple FRS-01 operations.

Icom has been improving the user-friendliness of the software the past few years. Right-click on any item and context sensitive help may be an option.

SQUELCH

Radio-wide Squelch is set in the Common | Set Mode screen. A channel with SQL Tight off (blank) uses the default radio-wide value. Depending on the radio version, squelch can be 0 to 255, or 0 to 9; 0 is wide open while 255 (or 9) is full tight. Older Icom software versions default squelch to 0 (wide open). I like to start just below halfway, but every radio and circumstance is different and as long as it works there is no wrong answer. 125 (or 4) usually is about 0.25uV or minus-122db, and that's pretty sensitive.

SQL Tight Offset is set in Common | Common (all the way at the bottom). Icom defaults this to the maximum value. SQL Tight ON for a channel uses simple math: the squelch setting on that particular channel is the sum of the radio-wide Squelch and the SQL Tight Offset values. Anything plus the default "all she's got" is pretty tight.

PROGRAMMING

Programming one of the "P" buttons for "User Set Mode" in Common | Key & Display will give you instant access to radio-wide squelch setting on the fly. If you don't have a "P" button programmed pressing "Up" and "Down" together when you turn on the radio temporarily makes P0 User Set Mode. Either way, after a LONG initial press each each subsequent short press scrolls down through the Enabled (not Inhibited) items listed on the software's Set Mode screen. UP/DOWN changes the values. Details are in the manual, but trial and error won't hurt anything. Do nothing for ten seconds, another LONG press or power cycle the radio to get back to normal.

Per RR, 462.5625 is both GMRS and FRS, and the 4-digit "5625" makes it narrow. FRS has a 0.5 watt limitation; GMRS (with a license) is 5.0 watts. The F60 is about 4 watts on H, 2.5-ish on L2 and 1 watt-ish on L1. All are too hot for FRS.

MORE LIKELY...

Bear with me...

In Common | Set Mode, enable Battery Voltage. When you turn the radio on the sensed battery voltage will display briefly. 8.3-plus is full, 7.5-ish is half and below 7 requires charging.

If the radio is turned on when it is in a BC-119 charger it can actually run dead while sitting in the charger, even with a good battery, green light lying to you all the while. Icom has a new BC-190 charger that fixes this.

BC-119's may die completely, but seldom go bad; wall wart transformers are another story. If in question, any 1000mW (or bigger) 14-16 VDC center-positive wall wart will work. BC-119's also charge just fine plugged into your car. Check your junk drawer for a cigarette lighter to charger cord- just make sure it has the center positive polarity!

BC-119 chargers are designed for radio-turned-off charging. When you drop the radio in the charger it will bring the battery to 8.4 volts then all but stop charging until the radio is removed/replaced and the cycle restarts. A weak battery may jump up to 8.4 volts and shut down the charger, but contain very little actual power.

Why did I go through all this? F60's are not battery sensitive. They are protective of batteries- even new, good L-Ion's don't like being deeply discharged. By design the radio firmware will switch to very low transmitter power any time the input voltage is below 7V, and will completely power off at 6.6-ish. This can also be caused by a battery that has a surface charge (7-something RECEIVE volts), but no capacity (6-something under transmit load).

This is common with older batteries and similar to the problem you described.

There are fancy (read as expensive) battery analyzers, but try this:
1. Turn the radio off and put it in the charger until the light goes green.
2. Turn the radio on, note the battery voltage, make sure you are on a High Power programmed channel, transmit continiously for 30~45 seconds and watch the display.
3. If a small "LOW" indicator pops up at the top of the display when transmitting, the battery is too weak to provide full power. The processor has shifted the transmitter into low power to keep an excessive voltage drop (below 6-something) from wacking the battery and/or radio. After transmitting, the LOW indicator will normally stay on then go out after a few moments when the bad battery has surface charged itself back to a normal setting. The battery gauge will show something similar. This is an intentional design - replace the BP227 battery.
4. If you didn't see LOW, let the battery run down a bit and try again. Starting with more than 7.5 volts, going LOW after less than 30~45 seconds of transmit indicates a bad battery.

Also try: Remove the battery. Use a q-tip and alcohol and clean the radio and battery contacts. The waterproof contact shield seals water out, but I've also seen them seal gunk in and drop battery voltage under transmitting load.

ONE LAST THING

If the LOW indicator doesn't come on (and you have tried new or known good batteries with clean contacts) there's one more possibility: F60's have a pretty robust little transmitter exciter- I have seen several F50/F60's with blown transmitter power amp finals (usually caused by transmitting into a bad or no antenna) that sent 0.05 watts to my service monitor. Enough to make it a block or so but not much further. Again as in your description.

Bad news: If it isn't a battery or battery contact problem send them to Icom to get fixed.

Good news: $125 each will get them flat-rate repaired at one of the three factory-authorized regional repair centers, aligned, spit-polished and brought back to like new; have them replace the side connector board while they're at it. I have tons of these in rough service, including farm manure pumpers who drop them into pits full of pig... stuff. The street price for new submersible severe service radios is about $500- do the math.

neeko416

YES!!! It was a bad battery!!!!!!

After alot of reading, it turns out programming isn't so hard afterall! I was actually wondering why the low power icon kept popping out during TX and your explanation fits right into the picture.

I will borrow a fresh battery from my bud tomorrow and do some testing. But I am 100% certain that that was the problem.

I would like to thank everyone again for all their help in this matter!

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Glad to hear it was the simple problem.

By the way, the same things generally apply to all of Icom's portable products. Even the non-display F11, F14, F3001, F3011, et al will blink the LED on a weak battery.

L-Ion batteries have a life based on their shelf age (even still in the box, 4-5 year old batteries are getting ready for retirement), number of normal charge cycles, and the number of deep discharge cycle multiplied by ten.

This is showing up more and more as agency budgets shrink. The bean counters look at the price of new batteries, look at old green light 8.4V batteries, and declare them good for service. The folks on the sharp end of the stick have to talk fast after lunch. The starving radio just tries to stay alive, do its job as best possible and gets the bulk of the blame. Agency officials fix the continuing problem by replacing complete radios based on which vendor sent them a nice Christmas Card.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.