• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom ic-f121s

Status
Not open for further replies.

jurrd87

Premium Subscriber
Picked one of these up today, and have no idea what this plug is for, can anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

Attachments

• 2012-10-08_13-05-46_26.jpg
    2012-10-08_13-05-46_26.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,105
  • 2012-10-08_13-06-01_909.jpg
    2012-10-08_13-06-01_909.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,357

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Just a guess, but someone could have set it up to use as half of a repeater or remote base?

n9zas

jurrd87

Premium Subscriber
It was used in a repeater setup... but if I want to use it as a stand alone unit could I? Obviously I would have to reprogram it, but does the cable have to be hooked up in order to use it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using my fingers

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
It was used in a repeater setup... but if I want to use it as a stand alone unit could I? Obviously I would have to reprogram it, but does the cable have to be hooked up in order to use it?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using my fingers

No, it should function normally if it's programmed right,although you will probably need a external speaker. Power it up and find out! ;)

n9zas

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
That's similar to the Icom OPC-617 cable. The Icom cable has a DB-9 on the end, so that's likely after market. If you do a search on the Icom OPC-617 cable, you will see what is available.

If you are not going to use it, you can open up the radio and unplug it.

Since that looks like the same connector thats inside the radio, it was likely connected to the other radio to make the repeater.

shockhazard69

Feed Provider
You may need to open up the radio and remove the solder from one of the connection points inside. I believe it is labeled "F" but if the radio works fine without doing that, I wouldn't bother.

stevelton

No need to unsolder the F jumper. The radio works fine with it in place. You can just leave the cable too, unless its in the way of mounting. If you ever want to use that radio with some type of moble crossband repeater, you would need a cable like that.
The built in speaker should work as normal also, no need for an external speaker.

jurrd87

Premium Subscriber
Ok so got my programming cable and software in and got both of the radio's programmed to the same channel... TX works on both, but no RX on either... any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.