• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Help with Icom f3gs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

So i just got myself a used f3g, i have put my frequencies in it and it transmits and sounds good. The only issue i'm having is on some frequencies i'm receiving heavy static, even when there is no one transmitting. It seems like it's a squelch issue but i don't know anything about the squelch on this radio. If anyone can help i would be grateful, thanks!!

Colton25

This picture shows what the screen says when it gives static. In the manual the busy indicator says it's receiving a signal or (the squelch is open).

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 474

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There is a squelch adjustment in the programming software, I don't know where it is for sure, but search around, you'll find it.

The old F-4's I used to use had a "maintenance" function. There was a way to power it up while pressing two buttons. You could then hit one of the Px buttons and adjust the squelch. I don't remember what the procedure was, but likely there is something similar for the F3gs. Likely the service manual for that radio would have it in there, or a good web search would turn up the exact procedure.

Colton25

There is a squelch adjustment in the programming software, I don't know where it is for sure, but search around, you'll find it.

The old F-4's I used to use had a "maintenance" function. There was a way to power it up while pressing two buttons. You could then hit one of the Px buttons and adjust the squelch. I don't remember what the procedure was, but likely there is something similar for the F3gs. Likely the service manual for that radio would have it in there, or a good web search would turn up the exact procedure.

I think i have found the squelch adjustment in the program, it was at 80 but honestly i have no clue what to set it at.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think i have found the squelch adjustment in the program, it was at 80 but honestly i have no clue what to set it at.

It may have a range of 1 to 256, so 80 might be kind of loose. If you write down the existing value, then try it to see how high and low it will go, it'll give you an idea. It sounds like it's set to loose, so adjusting it up will likely help.
Ideally, if you can find the manual method that you can do from the actual radio, that would be easier. The F-4 allowed adjustment on the fly, much easier to set it that way.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Here ya' go, try this:

Turn the power ON while pushing the [^] and [V].
Push [P0] to switch the LCD contrast between AUT and LOW.
Push [P1] to switch the beep emission between ON and OFF.
Push [P2] to switch the LCD backlighting condition between ON, AUT and OFF.
Push [P3] to enter the noise squelch level adjusting mode. Push [^] or [V] to adjust the noise squelch level within 0–255 range, push [P3] again to set and return to previous indication.

Colton25

Here ya' go, try this:

Turn the power ON while pushing the [^] and [V].
Push [P0] to switch the LCD contrast between AUT and LOW.
Push [P1] to switch the beep emission between ON and OFF.
Push [P2] to switch the LCD backlighting condition between ON, AUT and OFF.
Push [P3] to enter the noise squelch level adjusting mode. Push [^] or [V] to adjust the noise squelch level within 0–255 range, push [P3] again to set and return to previous indication.

Not sure if this makes a difference but i noticed the static is coming from the channels that don't have tones. What if they don't have tones???

Status
Not open for further replies.