• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom 2 Tone Detect Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Our FD has several Icom mobile and portable radios. I would like to set up these radios to detect our tones (2 tone system).

It is my understanding that these radios are more than capabile of doing this however I cannot seem to get it functioning right.

Our department uses 4 different 2 tone combinations for different station dispatches. Can I stack all these on one channel so that the radio will be able to decode any of the 4 combinations? I would prefer that the radio didn't beep but just display text identifying which tone was being set off. Hopefully this make sense...

I have the tones and am familiar with navigating the programming software but just can't seem to make the radio do what I want.

Thanks,

Brandon

cabletech

Brandon In order to due this, you need to setup a differant channel with the 2-tone and then a 'no' tone which will allow you to listen to the normal traffic and then say at night, turn to the 'tone' channel and it will 'open' on the tone.

Check your e-mail.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Ok that helps! For some reason I was under the impression that you could "stack" multiple 2 tone sets on one channel.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
You again! (Snicker)

What version do you have? (see my other post.)

In the F50 V and MCD series, you can stack ten 2-tone decodes on a single memory channel. Just remember that with MDC radios in 'LMR (2-Tone)" mode the radio will stay muted until signalled, and Auto Reset timers can be programmed to re-mute after X seconds. The V versions have both "AND" and "OR" options. I normally program TX-inhibit which prevents accidental 'butt dialing'

Check the attachment.

Attachments

• 2-Tone for Receive[1].pdf
    473.8 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have the IC-F50 LMR and I am using software version 2.1

I cannot seem to get the radio to open up. I know I have the right tones programmed although I must not have the rest of the settings programmed correctly.

Thanks,

Brandon

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Our FD has several Icom mobile and portable radios. I would like to set up these radios to detect our tones (2 tone system).

It is my understanding that these radios are more than capabile of doing this however I cannot seem to get it functioning right.

Our department uses 4 different 2 tone combinations for different station dispatches. Can I stack all these on one channel so that the radio will be able to decode any of the 4 combinations? I would prefer that the radio didn't beep but just display text identifying which tone was being set off. Hopefully this make sense...

I have the tones and am familiar with navigating the programming software but just can't seem to make the radio do what I want.

Thanks,

Brandon

Do you know the Tone A & Tone B?

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have programmed the radio with the Motorola A-B tones however the radio does not open up with the tones. I am assuming that their is some variation between the Motorola tones and Icom tones, enough that the Icom radio is not opening up.

Any suggestions or ideas?

cabletech

The Mot vs Icom is no problem as long as you have the current tone sequence and the current timing.

If either one of these are off then it will not work.

I have 30 Icoms in my area that I have set for fire tones and they work just fine.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
So I have tried adjusting the tone hz just to rule it out with no success. I have also tried adjusting the group/individual settings along with the 1st/2nd decode. I just can't seem to get it to work properly. Does the TimerA or B have to be set to something special? We have a standard two tone system with Tone A being 1sec and Tone B being 3sec.

Avery93

Premium Subscriber
So I have tried adjusting the tone hz just to rule it out with no success. I have also tried adjusting the group/individual settings along with the 1st/2nd decode. I just can't seem to get it to work properly. Does the TimerA or B have to be set to something special? We have a standard two tone system with Tone A being 1sec and Tone B being 3sec.

I know others have reported success, but I have had absolutely no luck getting Icoms to decode paging tones. They seem to be far too sensitive to any frequency error in the tones. I have tried changing every option related to tone decoding, including some in the "reserve" section of the software, all with no effect. The allowable frequency error seems to be hard coded into the radios firmware.

I have tried to get a F33G, a F3161, and a F5021 to decode my counties tones, and the best any of them will do is decode maybe one out of five pages, and the F5021 will not decode them at all. Meanwhile my Motorola and Kenwood radios have never failed to decode a page.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am beginning to think there are too many fine tuning errors or inconsistencies in our simulcast system to make it work.

Thanks for the reply!!

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I finally got one of the tones sets to activate. It appears that the tone values are off slightly. Now I have to figure out what the real tone values are to program into my radio.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have been using Two Tone Detect for other services. It keeps a log of the tones received.

There is a free program called Audacity that will do this for you. I personally haven't used it much.

Status
Not open for further replies.