• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F50 - No Answer from Transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I have been reprogramming some Icom IC-F50 radios. I have had good success with 3 of the 5 radios. However 2 of the radios come up with a "No Answer from Transceiver" response when trying to read or write the radio.

I have tried several different programming software versions including 1.7, 2.1 and 3.1 without success. The serial numbers of the radios are 0108429 and 0108430.

I have checked the Com Port settings, checked the cable and the radio is on. Like I said this exact same setup successfully programmed several other radios.

Any suggestions?

svfd17

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/389)

Make sure that the cable is secure.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Check. I can literally program one radio, disconnect the cable farm the radio, attach it to another radio and can't read or write anything. At first I thought it may have been the radio until it happened to more than one. One of the radios is in like new condition.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
How old are the radios?

I am assuming that all of the radios and the software version match. There are three variations of the F50- the original, the MDC, and the V series. All take different software. Getting the right one is a pain. Pressing the UP and P3 buttons when turning the radio on will give you the firmware version.

If everything on the PC side is right...

Up until a couple years ago, Icom had a flaw in the F50 side connector- the solder joints between the main board and 9-pin board would break if a speaker-mic was attached and flexed too hard. Later and current production has fixed the issue.

Try connecting the cable and push the outside edge of the connector towards the back of the radio while reading. If it works, DON"T BREATHE! If it doesn't, try again with differing amounts of pressure and direction.

If that is the problem, you can:

a- do nothing except program the radios. There is a probability that a speaker mic won't work either but if you don't use them, no harm, no foul.

b- send the radio to Icom for repair. If out of warranty is should be a flat $100 repair.

c- if you are fearless and have the right equipment, open it up, remove all of the solder from the 10 or so 90-degree solder points, and resolder. Be prepared for performing a tiny, delicate operation.

Best of luck.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am told by my Icom dealer that it is most likely that I have the wrong programming software.

My dealer says that there are 3 different versions:
CS-F50V VS
CS-F50v VS
CS-F50V V3.61

Does this sound correct? I am just a little suspicious since I was able to successfully program multiple IC-F50 radios with no problem and I am just experiencing this problem with a couple radios.

What say you?

Thanks!

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
The F50 uses the same cloning software for all versions; your issue sounds more like a com port setup issue. Make sure your set for no higher than 9600 baud, 8, None, 1 and Hardware.

Also, use the latest cloning software; also consider updating your firmware to the latest revision as there has been numerous changes. The current revision on the dealer website will be the last revision moving forward and contains the Minitor paging functions and is narrowband compliant as well.

Your cloning software and firmware should always be matched releases.

Good luck!

maxkelley

Very common issue with these, you probably will have to open it up and reflow the 9 solder joints for the accessory connector, or for that matter, you can check continuity between the outside contacts and the inner solder contacts on the board to verify.

But first, try all 3 of the versions of the software, CS-F50, CS-F50V, CS-F50MDC.

From what you're saying, though, it sounds like a bad accessory connector solder joint.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I finally opened up the radio to take a look. I found that most, if not all, of the solder joints/connections between the pin outs and the board had been fractured. I was able to flex the pin out connection with the cable attached to the radio to make the connection long enough to reprogram the radio. I plan on going back an re-soldering those connections when I have more time available.

Thanks for all the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.