• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F5021 Voice Scrambler Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutliffhl21

I have a F5021 radio stock from the factory without the optional UT voice scrambler installed. I read the literature and it said that there factory installed inversion type scrambling installed in the radio as an option. Using the software, I set it up and set the P3 button as "scrambler" from the set mode menu in the software. In set the scrambler code to 15, and when I write to the radio, when I press the P3 button, nothing happens, and the voice scramble symbol does not show on the radio screen. Am I doing something wrong to get the scrambler going? I also chose "rolling" encryption from the scrambler menu, like my f3161 has, and that one works fine. Its just the 5021 I'm having issues with. Any help would be appreciated.

cabletech

The 5021 requires that the UT-109R scamblers option board be intalled in the radio. it is a addon board that just plugs in on the main borad.

No board, no scramble.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
The 5021 requires that the UT-109R scamblers option board be intalled in the radio. it is a addon board that just plugs in on the main borad.

No board, no scramble.

Correct.

The F3160 portables (and several other Icom radios) come with a built-in INVersion scrambler. Its is an option under "Memory Channel | Scrambler | Type. The F5021 does not have the "Type" and "Inv" options.

In the F3161 software:
*UT: only works if a UT-109 or UT-110 is installed. The -109 supports multiple fundamental frequencies but not rolling codes. The -110 does the same as the -109 and also supports "Rolling Code" where the frequency changes every so often.
*INV: similar to a -109/-110 but only operates on a single inversion frequency that is not available on the -109/-110. Not available on 121 and 5021 versions even in the latest v3.3 firmware.
*Oth: supports other manufacturer's boards, ie Cimmeron.

*ON/OFF: this is what you have your "P" button programmed to control. The "ON" setting will put the channel into full time encryption and the "P" button switches to clear, "OFF/Blank" means encryption is off until you use a "P" button to turn it on, and "Inh" where encryption cannot be activated at all.

* "Code" only applies when -109 or -110 boards are installed and selects the fundamental inversion frequency.

The "R" at the end of the board model refers to the package and connector type.

Last edited:

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
For the F5021, you want the "R" scrambler version (UT-110R for Rolling code capability and UT-109R for just the 32 fixed scrambler codes) . UT-109R goes for about $70 bucks and the UT-110R goes for about $120 bucks.

When you install the board, you need to cut a couple of raceways in the radio as well to route the audio into and out of the scrambler board. It's not hard to do with a magnifying glass or microscope and an X-acto Knife.

You can either use a "P" button to turn it on and off, or if you don't want to waste a "P" button for that, you can program one channel with scrambling enabled and another channel with it disabled.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.