• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ic-f4061 How do you get this thing open?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapidcharger

I'm trying to install an option board into one of these. I have removed a total of 5 screws including one under the belt clip and took off the back plastic and I still can't remove the metal chassis inside.

What is the trick to getting inside one of these? I've never had so much trouble getting into a radio before.

cabletech

In order to break a radio down to three primary parts (front case, back case and frame), you also have to remove the antenna, then remove a lock nut, then you remove both the switch knob and its locking nut.

Once you have removed the locking nuts then you pull the bottom of the front case away from the frame while holding the unit at the top.

It opens like a clam shell.

Also, where did you get this option board? If you recieved it from either Icom or a dealer, it should have come with a install sheet.

If I remember correctly, that radio does not have to be opened up to install the board. There is a location under the battery that is covered with a plastic/rubber you remove and then just dropin the board.

rapidcharger

In order to break a radio down to three primary parts (front case, back case and frame), you also have to remove the antenna, then remove a lock nut, then you remove both the switch knob and its locking nut.

Once you have removed the locking nuts then you pull the bottom of the front case away from the frame while holding the unit at the top.

It opens like a clam shell.

Also, where did you get this option board? If you recieved it from either Icom or a dealer, it should have come with a install sheet.

If I remember correctly, that radio does not have to be opened up to install the board. There is a location under the battery that is covered with a plastic/rubber you remove and then just dropin the board.

Thanks for your reply. I had also assumed there would be a little trap door but I sure don't see one. I can see where the board goes inside but there's no access. I bought the board second hand and it did not come with any documentation.

The board itself is also in a metal case, which I wasn't quite expecting. I need to get into that too to do a mod and I don't see how to get that open either without destroying it.

rapidcharger

Hi again.
I don't see any lock nuts under the knobs after I took those off. The only think that looks like it might be removable where the antenna was connected is a little ring at the bottom. Is that what I need to remove? If so what tool would you recommend to do that?

I tried to search online but the only search result pertaining to radios is this very thread!

cabletech

rapidcharger What board are you trying to install? What mod do you need to make?

The 'ring' at the botto of the antenna connecter is the lock nut, you should see a slit on two sides, this takes a special spanner wrench to remove, same with the switch nuts.

Set your profile to accept e-mail and I will send you an install sheet.

rapidcharger

rapidcharger What board are you trying to install? What mod do you need to make?

The 'ring' at the botto of the antenna connecter is the lock nut, you should see a slit on two sides, this takes a special spanner wrench to remove, same with the switch nuts.

Set your profile to accept e-mail and I will send you an install sheet.

It's set to accept email now.

The mod makes the ut-126 compatible with the x061 with firmware 1.x.
Otherwise it is incompatible or needs a firmware update. Getting firmware from icom is impossible unless you are an icom dealer. The only icom lmr dealer in my area does not return phone calls. Thanks for the continued support.

Google search on spanner wrench for icom turns up nothing. Is there a part number? And is there any way to get it off without one of those?

Last edited:

rapidcharger

I just want to publicly say
thanks.gif
thank you for sending me that document. Extremely helpful.

At this point, I'm having my doubts about the accuracy of that service bulletin that I had that said to do the mod to the ut-126 and not to the PCB. I guess we'll find out when I finally get it open.

rapidcharger

You are welcome. Let us know the results. Good Luck

A big thanks to you and everyone else who helped me on this little project radio.

I ordered a spanner wrench (aka "X-Key") from an overseas for ~$8 including postage and it worked like a charm to remove the antenna nut and the chassis virtually slid right out. Not sure what the rules are about posting commercial links on here so if someone needs one and wants to know where I got it, PM me.

The UT-126 board went right in. No mods necessary contrary to what Icom told me and voila. I'm RX and TX NXDN just fine. Had a brief conversation last night on the linked NXDN repeater network.

The reason there is no trap door to access the radio is because the port is on the bottom (towards the front of the radio). A trap door wouldn't have done any good.
I've made "the smart migration to digital!"
woohoo.gif

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.