• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Ic-f121

Status
Not open for further replies.

hertz

I've computer programmed this radio and the cloning was succesful with the exception of the scan function.
In the SCAN SETTING the Power Scan is on, in the KEY AND DISPLAY SETTING Scan is on and in the SCAN
LIST there are two lists. Any and alll help would be appreciated.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depending on how it is set up (and forgive me, it's been a while since I've programmed a F121...) but there is a setting for on-hook scan. If that is turned on, the microphone needs to be on the hook, and the hook needs to be grounded.
Easiest way to check this is to touch the metal button on the back of the microphone to the same ground the radio is attached to. If the scan starts, that's it.
This is a handy function in a mobile environment. The radio can be scanning, but when the user takes the mic off hook to talk, the scan will stop. Pretty common feature amongst all commercial radios.

Hope that helps.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
In K&D, if power-on scan is enabled 'Scan A' will only stop a scan for the timer B period. 'Scan B' lets you start and stop scan as desired.

Scan setting 'Power ON' tells the radio to start scanning when it comes on. In 'Scan B' the radio will not resume scanning unless 'Power ON' is on.

Moni selects Rx tone-off when the mic button is not grounded. I think OFF means tones are disabled off-ground but usually end up getting it wrong the first time. Ground the mic and watch for the moni icon to appear at the top of the display to verify.

F121's require that the mic button be grounded to scan. You can get around this by soldering a wire inside the mic from the hanger to ground to defeat the feature. You can also mod the front board, but the mic mod is easier. Newer radios (like the F5021) let you do the same in software.

When scanning, the radio will transmit on the 'Prio A' channel. Program a Px button for 'Prio A Rewrite' to change priority on the fly.

I avoid scan mode M2, and normally use M3 to check the Priority A channel during receive on other channels. If you use M2 you will transmit on the last received channel, not necessarily the one you intended to.

Stop the scan and press and hold the same Px 'Scan Start/Stop' button to select the scan list. Up/Down to the one you want, then press Px again. Changes made in one scan list don't change others. Blank out the rest of the scan lists so you don't have to scroll through them. 'Text ON' shows 'SCAN' on the display. Text OFF (blank) scrolls the display through the channels.

I use a 2~3 second 'Stop Timer' depending on the application. F121 scanning is a bit slow, and when priority sampling it will gap other channel reception. Nature of the beast, as Icom takes likes to make very sure the correct RX tone is being received before opening the tone gate. You can change the Scan timer settings in Common|Expert, but if you speed it up too much you will miss calls. Resume sets the amound of time the radio will wait before restarting a scan after reception.

Power-on beep is enabled by any entry in the 'Opening Text' field. No text, no beep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.