• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM F3161 programming issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucvgabe

Premium Subscriber
So I'm a total noob when it comes to ICOM. I'm normally a Motorola man, but since I heard about the railroads slowly going to NXDN, I decided to invest in my first ICOM since I'm a train buff. I got the software from theantennafarm, along with an F3161 with a keypad, and a cable, etc. Basically, everything that I need for operating and programming the radio I have.

I just installed the software, got the radio all hooked up, and I'm ready to go. I try to read the radio, and it asks me to update. It reads the radio, the radio beeps saying that it is communicating with the computer, and it loads entirely the clone, and once it gets to what looks like 99%, it stops and pops up with an error, "Please update to the latest version." I know it's on the correct COM port, because the radio and the computer are connected and communicating. However, when I try making up my own codeplug and writing it onto the radio and overwriting what's on the radio already, it doesn't even say that it can communicate with the radio. It says to check the COM ports and the radio, etc. Any tips? If anyone needs screenshots of the software or anything, I can get some to you.

Thank you in advance!

cabletech

The is not any thing to due with the firmware. This issue is due to the fact that the sofeware is not an up to date version.

Open the program and right on the main screen it will tell you the version. You should have ver3 or better.

If you have less then three, contact theantenna farm and have them sent you a newer version.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Current firmware is v5.2 for general release and the cloning software is the same; however, the special Rail Road firmware is v4.6.2 RR and requires the special cloning software as well. If you're a Railroad buff, try to get the v4.6.2 RR version; you'll be glad you did...

ucvgabe

Premium Subscriber
When I turn on the software, it says that it's version 5.0, so I guess the software isn't an issue. I haven't upgraded the firmware to my radio at all, I have no idea what it is right now, nor do I have any idea how to upgrade it... Like I said, hardcore ICOM noob. I do very much appreciate the quick replies though, I'm already getting more places than I would have if I just kind of sat at the computer fondling with the radio trying to get it to work like I have been for a day and a half. Thanks guys!

But yeah, I guess the software isn't an issue, What is the difference between this software and the RR software? My plan is to dedicate like two banks to railroads, and the rest is going to be whatever VHF public safety channels my county has, along with surrounding counties, so this radio is going to be kind of multi-purpose I guess you could say.

ucvgabe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply, guys! I checked the software version, and it comes up as v 5.0, so I guess the software isn't an issue.

As for this railroad software thing, I imagine that it would be very useful for programming railroad-related channels, but I'm going to have this as a multi-use radio I guess you could say. I'm going to probably dedicate two banks or so to the railroad channels that are active in my area, and then the rest is going to be whatever VHF public safety channels I can dig up.

I also have no idea how to update the firmware, because I'm literally a hardcore noob when it comes to this stuff, nor do I know where to find the firmware. Thanks for the quick replies, though! It's better than me fondling with my radio trying to do stuff that isn't doing anything like I have been for a day and a half. Is this issue that I'm having a common thing? Just curious

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
To check the firmware on the radio itself, when powering up, hold down the P0 and P3 keys together and turn on the radio.

You will see the following:

REV:

DREV:

In order for the radio to work correctly with version 5.0 cloning software, the radio must also have REV: 5.0.0 firmware.

As for the DREV, that's for the UT-126H NXDN Digital Board and you want that to be no less than DREV: 3.2

As for the RR firmware, the radio still retains all normal functionality; however, you can directly enter AAR channels from the keypad, you can also select PL tones and RAN codes on the fly from the keypad, also these are deeper levels of menu options aside from just the P0-P3 keys, you can have unto two rows of menu options whereas in the general version, you ONLY have those four front panel P0-P3 keys. There are other enhancements as well but those are the highlights.

These radios can really do allot once you dig into them, considerably more than a traditional Motorola because of custom firmware options, etc.

ucvgabe

Premium Subscriber
I did the P0/P3 combination upon startup, and I got the following...

REV 4.6.2 RR
Sum694D
UT-126H
DREV 3.2
DSumF961

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber

REV 4.6.2 RR
Sum694D
UT-126H
DREV 3.2
DSumF961

Then you're in great shape. Now you need cloning software revision 4.6.2 RR in order to program it. I'd keep that firmware version; it's the cream of the crop!

ucvgabe

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to be completely honest, I really couldn't care less about the railroad firmware. I'm probably only going to use like ten of the however many AAR channels there are, and that's the ones that are used around here, so I might as well just make a bank with them. Perhaps I'll end up putting in the firmware later on, but I really just want to see what this thing can do first. It's one of my wacker traits :p

ucvgabe

Premium Subscriber
Plus I'm all giddy and whatnot about my new toy and I don't want to wait for new software, goes with my wacker traits lol. I feel like over time I can just get the railroad firmware software and download the firmware back into the radio for it, but might as well not wait for that if I don't have to, yknow?

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber

REV 4.6.2 RR
Sum694D
UT-126H
DREV 3.2
DSumF961

I have an F3261DT with this same exact firmware. Can anyone point me in the right direction on how or where I can obtain the correct version of the cloning software to program my radio?

Thanks in advance.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
To check the firmware on the radio itself, when powering up, hold down the P0 and P3 keys together and turn on the radio.

You will see the following:

REV:

DREV:

In order for the radio to work correctly with version 5.0 cloning software, the radio must also have REV: 5.0.0 firmware.

As for the DREV, that's for the UT-126H NXDN Digital Board and you want that to be no less than DREV: 3.2

As for the RR firmware, the radio still retains all normal functionality; however, you can directly enter AAR channels from the keypad, you can also select PL tones and RAN codes on the fly from the keypad, also these are deeper levels of menu options aside from just the P0-P3 keys, you can have unto two rows of menu options whereas in the general version, you ONLY have those four front panel P0-P3 keys. There are other enhancements as well but those are the highlights.

These radios can really do allot once you dig into them, considerably more than a traditional Motorola because of custom firmware options, etc.
Hello,

Thanks for the summary. I recently got a F3260DT with RR firmware. I thought the only difference was the direct entry of AAR channels. Since that tends to be dangerous for accidental keyups, I created a zone with all the AAR frequencies as mixed Analog/NXDN receive only. I plan on disabling the AAR Keypad entry. The multiple scan lists are great and I have one that scans all the channels in the AAR zone, which is more useful than the direct entry.

I am using the two levels of menus. I use the top selector as zone select and two side buttons for channel selection, which allows having more that 16 channels in a zone. I am a ham, so I have zones for the local 2M Ham repeaters and local NXDN repeaters.

The radio is very flexible. I am reading the help and trying out some stuff. A couple of Railroad repeaters have radios that use MDC1200, so I have the radio decoding MDC1200 on those channels.

You do have to make sure to get the RR version of the CS-F3160/F5060 cloning software for F3160/F3260/F5060 radios with RR firmware. For example:
F3161/3261 / F4161/4261RR - Icom F3161/F3261/F5061 Railroad Software OEM Cloning Program Software CS-F3160 F5060 RR v4.6.3 (DOWNLOAD) - TRN Communications LLC

The F3260 has a bigger accessory connector, so it uses a different programming cable than the F3160.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.