RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Commercial and Professional Radio > ICOM Land Mobile Radio

ICOM Land Mobile Radio Discussion forum for ICOM land mobile radio equipment such as the IC-F series radios. Please do not post amateur radio topics here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-13-2014, 7:28 AM

Default ICom IC-F70DS and MDC

Hello,

I have about 30 ICom IC-F70DS that are supposed to be MDC capable, however these ones are not......I've done some research on them and read that there may be a firmware update that fixes the issue. I've got a few calls out to ICom dealers, but no one seems interested in answering the questions I have.

So......

1.) These are running REV 2.1 firmware. MDC Options show in the software, but when trying to program it comes up with "unit not MDC capable". Hitting info button show the same thing. IS it a matter of a firmware upgrade (I've read we're up to 2.8 firmware on these?) to get the MDC functionality, or some other procedure to get it going?

2.) ICom was less than helpful with information on how to even get their firmware. I got a standard "updating firmware in the F70DS is extremely difficult" line from their sales department (I wanted to ask if they've ever flashed a Motorola with an iButton!!). Again, I have not heard back from the lone ICom LMR dealer in NH. I don't know if the firmware is something that ICom charges for or not, so I don't want to violate forum rules, but if anyone can help me out with getting a copy of the new firmware if it will fix this MDC issue, please let me know.

Mods, if this is out of line to request a firmware file, please let me know.

Thanks for the help.

W1DPT Raymond, NH
Sponsored links

Old 06-14-2014, 4:28 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am in the same boat trying to get MDC working on IC-F80T. So far I have struck out getting any answers on firmware for these.
Old 06-14-2014, 4:54 PM

Yeah I'm striking out as well. Asked on a few different places and no one seems to have an answer.

I got in touch with ICom, they were no help and told me to call a dealer. Called two dealers, no replies back.

Leads me to belive ICOM and their dealer network don't do customer support very well. "Here's your radio, any problems or questions and you're SOL!"

At least with Motorola, you get good support from M and their dealers. Even Kenwood has good support.

ICOM is definitely on my "do not recommend" list. Good thing these aren't my radios, just trying to help out a local FD. You get what you pay for.......

W1DPT Raymond, NH
Old 06-15-2014, 11:35 AM

These radios do have MDC build in. Are you sure that it is turned on?

Read the radio,save the file, then in the menue on the left, select MDC, click on system>general, what does it says?

If it says off then you are able to do any thing with MDC.

If you have problems, the build in help file is very good. Select an item, do a f-1 and the help file will come up.

I do these all the time and have no problems.
Old 06-15-2014, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabletech View Post
These radios do have MDC build in. Are you sure that it is turned on?

Read the radio,save the file, then in the menue on the left, select MDC, click on system>general, what does it says?

If it says off then you are able to do any thing with MDC.

If you have problems, the build in help file is very good. Select an item, do a f-1 and the help file will come up.

I do these all the time and have no problems.
The earlier models did not have MDC capabilities, as I believe that is what the OP probably has.
However with that being said, all they need is a simple firmware update.

I'm not sure what the problem is here with the dealers. They have access to any firmware you want, and is as easy as hooking the radio up and hitting "OK". Perhaps they don't like doing the upgrades in hopes to make a sale(s).
Sponsored links
Old 06-15-2014, 4:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

jm firefighter drop me a PM with your email
Old 06-15-2014, 9:37 PM

Yes, the info section says MDC not enabled......and I agree from my research a simple firmware update is what I need.

I'm just bothered by the Corporate and dealer support (or lack of, rather) that we're getting.

Iamhere300, PM sent.

W1DPT Raymond, NH
Old 07-04-2014, 11:19 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

It might be mentioned, a dealer has helped a couple of people here with their firmware issues. Not their local dealer, but not all dealers are difficult to deal with.

And it did not cost them a dime.