• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM Programming issues...need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSFD390

Hi all, in need of assistance. I have 6 ICOM IC-F3021S portable radios, that are in need of programming.

Before anyone throws at me for not being a "licensed ICOM tech., I understand, and do not need that as answer, or "take it to a certified dealer". That's not why im here.

I have acquired the software, and cable from a member in our station, all software and cables, (OPC-478UC) ARE LEGAL, AND WERE PURCHASED DIRECTLY FROM ICOM. These radios are being used for the sole purpose of supplying exterior members, and first responders with a way to communicate until we order new radios. I have installed the cable driver CD, and the actual software as well to my Windows XP Desktop. I have registered a proper ID code, etc. I am currently been at this software, for about 2 hours trying everything i can think of. I have my radio, plugged into the proper speaker jack, located on the side, in the proper hole, and the USB plugged into my computer. I believe im in COM 3, due to when I try all other COM Ports, they state, "Cannot detect COM PORT 2" for example. SO, im properly hooked up, and i select COM PORT 3, it takes a few seconds, and i get another error message, that states, "No answer from transceiver".

These radios have not been reprogrammed, or touched in any form as far as programming, and I have the current software in which they were programmed with.

I've tried 3 different radios, all stating the same thing.

"No answer from transceiver", please check the COM PORT SETTINGS, CLONING CABLE CONNECTIONS, TRANSCEIVER IS ON.

Im at a loss as to what to do. I have plenty of experience with programming Motorola radios.....but this has me stumped.

ANY help is appreciated.

Regards, Michael.

methusaleh

Michael,

Did you acquire the radios brand new?

I love my Icoms, but have found that no other brand has given me as many problems with the inside of the port (for lack of a better term...where the programming cable goes) eventually breaking connection. Experience has taught that many otherwise fine Icom HTs make it to eBay because of such issues.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Open up your device manager on your computer and click on com ports this will tell you for sure what com port you are on. It is most likely above 10.

Once you have the correct com port, click on Com Port in the software and then click on More a window will pop up and you can enter the com port that has been assigned by the computer.

You should be all set then.

CSFD390

Thanks!! I got it. Now I'm trying to determine what I can use to power a mobile radio, in my house until I get my new truck. Any recommendations on something cheap that would allow me to power a ICOM Mobile?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
A used car battery always worked well but other then that you would be looking for a 12 volt power supply. They can be expensive, if you will only be listening you could get a 3amp one cheap. But if you plan on transmitting you will want at least a 10 amp unit which will be more expensive.

iamhere300

Michael,

Did you acquire the radios brand new?

I love my Icoms, but have found that no other brand has given me as many problems with the inside of the port (for lack of a better term...where the programming cable goes) eventually breaking connection. Experience has taught that many otherwise fine Icom HTs make it to eBay because of such issues.

I have seen little problems programming HT's from Icom, with the exception of the F50 line - that was terrible. Luckily it is an easy fix to resolder. Icom has been very easy on warranty for this issue.

iamhere300

Thanks!! I got it. Now I'm trying to determine what I can use to power a mobile radio, in my house until I get my new truck. Any recommendations on something cheap that would allow me to power a ICOM Mobile?

If you can get your hands on a SL11 or RM12 or RS12 from Astron you will be very happy. We use a ton of the SL11 power supplies with control stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.