• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom 1721d speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyler3328

I have an icon 1721d mobile I purchased from someone. Radio has worked perfectly for months then today the speaker stopped working. I tried hookin up a remote speaker and it still doesn't Work. When it receives you can hear the speaker pop and seems like it wants to work but you don't hear any voice. Anybody have any idea what is wrong

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
I am assuming that you do not have the remote head RMK kit installed and that no add-on boards or CP (coffee bean) mods have been done. If an accessory board is present, try removing and re-seating the board. It may be that simple. Audio does pass through many UT-xxx boards.

Pop the radio open and unplug the front speaker (two small wires -black and yellow as I recall - going to a white connector on the main board). That will eliminate the front speaker for troubleshooting.

Make up a simple test wire with an 4~8-ohm speaker. Ground one side anywhere (unlike others Icom audio is unbalanced and referenced to ground ) and tune the radio to a simple analog frequency (weather channels work fine). Do not plug anything into the remote speaker jack.

Touch the other (center pin) speaker wire to the middle and inside end contacts of the 3.5mm external jack (J5) at the back of the radio. The jack itself is on the bottom of the board and not easy to get to. If you hear audio on one terminal but not the other, it is possibly dirt or a bad connection in the jack. Plugging anything into the jack opens the connection to the internal speaker on the middle terminal.

If no audio is present at J5 it is either the AF audio amp or further up the line.

With all of the appropriate speaker impedance provisos, it is possible to jumper the center and end connections of J5 so that audio still goes to the internal speaker when a 3.5mm plug is inserted into the jack. I have had to do this where audio needs to go to a siren/PA as well as the internal speaker.

If you are fearless and have an amplified speaker (a computer PC speaker will work) check for audio between ground and pin 1 of IC38. IC38 is the larger transistor heat sink'd to the case closest to the audio jack and front speaker connector, and should be marked LA4425A. Pins 2 & 3 are ground, 4 is AF out to the speaker and 5 is VCC+ voltage. The side of solder bean CP23 closest to C408 and R322 is the same as IC38 pin 1.

It is also possible that the ribbon cable between the front and main units is damaged. Non-remote radios do not use the audio on the ribbon but AFO is present on J1 pin 12 for remote head use and a short could kill the audio. Make sure the ribbon is not misaligned, damaged or pinched between the head ground spring and the case.

Anything deeper you are into trial and error or tech/geek territory.

Last edited:

tyler3328

I figured it out there is a small I believe resistor that is missing from the speaker circut on the main board. Contacted icom and they stated that they were not able to get this piece. I am not to bumbed about it. I purchased a moto xtl5000 to replace it. I Contacted a buddy and he is lookin for trash icoms to see if I can pull one off and maybe repair it.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Strange. The F1721 is still a production radio. Ask for Harry Kwan.

Also, AJR International in Chicago does excellent guaranteed flat rate repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.