• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM F121 HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4JPA

I badly need someone with one of these to assist me. My unit suddenly, when turned on, started to flash and that was all it did! A search turned up one suggestion that the VCO could not lock and I had probably messed up something in the software. Apparently a "good" data file should remedy this! Has anyone got one of these and would be willing to send my a copy of what's in their radio please.
This could save a minimum of a $40 service charge and the shipping fees.
BobJ W4JPA

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Question 1: Was the software in Maker Reserve mode? If you don't know, then it wasn't. If it was you now know the reason it's difficult to implement.

Question 2: Are the TX and Rx frequencies in range? Check for thick fingering. Been there, done that.

Try opening the software, creating a new file with one valid frequency (don't do anything else!) and cloning it into the radio. If that fixes it, then it is a corrupt .icf file. Start over afresh.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
I've had that happen before... Bumped the starter in the middle of a clone write, voltage drop dropped below the operating threshold and turned the radio of in the middle of the write. Had to pull up a code plug to reinitialize it Motorola style.

Essentially did the same thing when I got the radio. The guy I had bought it off of (cheap) had disabled data output which kills any read attempt from a computer and couldn't reprogram it. I got it and asked some friends at a local shop for a 221 codeplug and all they had were 121 codeplugs. So he told me a trick he had learned. The 121 and 221 don't care what band the codeplugs are for... They won't send an error for out of band until you may them. You can usually load an out of band codeplug, reread it and then move the frequencies over to the proper band for the hardware.

Give that a try with the 221 codeplug I sent you and let us know. Once you get it working again, save that code plug as a master for recovery purposes (just like with Motorola radios).

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
A bad or corrupt upload will result in a 'CLON NG' display message. A flashing programmed channel display usually indicates something more sinister.

Unlike other /\/\anufacturers, selecting 'New' in Icom cloning software always generates a clean and correct .icf file. Opening the software and cloning in a simple one-freq file with no other changes will create a valid .icf and clone. There is NO 'codeplug' as such - that is a /\/\other term.

The exception is when Maker Reserve mode is running. In that case the cloning software will upload radio-specific alignment data along with the channel and feature data. As I recall (remember it's Sunday morning before coffee #2) cloning software always downloads all data, but only uploads radio specific alignment data when M-R is active. If you create a new .icf with M-R running and upload you will wack the radio. Icom does cloning in the reverse manner from others - .icf files may be freely cloned between same model/firmware radios (with M-R off) and cloning only uploads the channel and feature data (not alignment data) by default.

Hence, the reason Maker Reserve is difficult to get into and dangerous to run if you don't have a specific reason to go there. If you don't know how to get there you are on your own.

While it may provide a starting point for alignment, such data is not interchangeable between radios. A M-R active clone from a known good .icf file may give you a starting point, but you will need to break out the service monitor, signal generator and the rest of the toys and perform a full alignment to get things back to normal. Accurate alignment is impossible to do without them.

PS: Always read and save an .icf before making any changes. My server has almost 2 Gig's of .icf files going back almost ten years and it has saved my bacon more than once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.