• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM 621-2-TR: Squelch Level and CTCSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhombus_000

Premium Subscriber
I have an ICOM 621-2-TR running conventional UHF in the business band. It transmits fine, but on receive it seems very insensitive. Even with the monitor button on, it only picks up very strong signals. I have tested the antenna (1/4gp) with and adapter to a HT and the antenna is fine.

My question is this: does the squelch setting (currently 90) affect the decoding of CTCSS? Will the unit break squelch if the signal is below the threshold but the correct CTCSS tone is present? Or will a high squelch setting lock receive out even if the unit hears the right tone?

I suspect I may have a hardware problem since the unit is being outperformed by 4 watt HTs. The setting is in an industrial facility, HT's can talk to one another everywhere but the 621 only hears transmissions from outside.

Thanks in advance for any help...

12dbsinad

What you describe sounds like a bad Ceramic filter. I'm willing to bet the radio is a 07-08. VERY common in 621's of that time frame as they had a run of defective filters, and will cause very poor RX to the point of unusable. It is for sure fixable but requires some de-soldering/soldering skill.

Last edited:

rhombus_000

Premium Subscriber
What you describe sounds like a bad Ceramic filter. I'm willing to bet the radio is a 07-08. VERY common in 621's of that time frame as they had a run of defective filters, and will cause very poor RX to the point of unusable. It is for sure fixable but requires some de-soldering/soldering skill.

Thanks for the info!!! I am pretty good at soldering I dabble in making my own PCBs, although I'm guessing that the filter is going to be surface mounted which will be a challenge.

Would you happen to have any info that could help me identify it's location on the board?

12dbsinad

I am going by my shear memory here, but I believe the common issue is in the 2nd IF (F12) on the board, this should be the location of the ceramic filter. You can download the service manual easily by doing a google search.

rhombus_000

Premium Subscriber
I am going by my shear memory here, but I believe the common issue is in the 2nd IF (F12) on the board, this should be the location of the ceramic filter. You can download the service manual easily by doing a google search.

Thanks!!! I read somewhere else also that the 2nd IF 450 khz filter can be an issue. Got the unit apart and the filter seems moderately easy to get at aside from having to desolder a few connections to get the board out of the case.

Much appreciate the help, my company's radio budget is pretty much zero so it's either fix it myself or off to the scrap heap.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Bad filters is an issue across all manufacturers, something that has become more of an issue since narrow banding.

A working, properly aligned Icom will have an outstanding front end. That is the basis for the company's success. A deaf Icom is broken.

Any of the Icom factory repair locations do a fine job for a flat hundred bucks, including return shipping in a week or less. Some will provide a pre-paid label for the next one. They see them every day (read as experienced), will diagnose and repair all the defective components, and also align the radio. Alignment is not difficult, but getting it right takes both time and bench equipment. I am a dealer and let AJR in Chicago do all my heavy lifting when it comes to repairs of the minuscule surface-mounted components. I suspect some of their techs moonlight as laproscopic brain surgeons --- components are that small and heat sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.