• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IDAS multizone scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFFA

HI Guys.

I have a situation where I have two single site IDAS trunking systems. I need a Icom IDAS mobile that can scan both sites and be able to talk back.

1. is this possible on a IDAS radio
2. If so, which models will be able to do this.

Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Likely not.
I don't use an IDAS trunked system, but I do run a NexEdge trunked system. While they have similarities, there are some differences. Mainly the dedicated control channel of NexEdge vs. the decentralized nature of IDAS. The trouble with trying to scan two trunked systems at the same time is that it would need to monitor both control channels simultaneously. With only one receiver in the radio, this would be impossible to do and not miss something. The packets sent out by the control channel are very sort, and the scan time of the radio is going to miss something.

Maybe there is some variation in the IDAS system that I'm overlooking.

I know that scanning a trunked system and a conventional system at the same time is not possible with the Kenwood NexEdge radios.

I'd love to hear if Icom mobiles/portables have some way of doing this.

SAFFA

The IDAS single site system is based on NXDN type D trunking which doesn't use a control channel. Kenwood have released there type D trunking compatible radios ( NX-220). I've managed to do it on the Kenwood by selecting "multi" under the scan settings and having each trunk system in separate zones.

I need to be able to do the same with Icom's though. If the icom can scan between zones in conventional then I'm sure it will work with trunk system too.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The IDAS single site system is based on NXDN type D trunking which doesn't use a control channel. Kenwood have released there type D trunking compatible radios ( NX-220). I've managed to do it on the Kenwood by selecting "multi" under the scan settings and having each trunk system in separate zones.

I need to be able to do the same with Icom's though. If the icom can scan between zones in conventional then I'm sure it will work with trunk system too.

That's good to hear. I know the system will scan fine if you turn on a radio in the middle of a conversation, so that makes sense. I'd be concerned about depending on it hearing traffic between two systems. On the public safety side we try to limit scanning due to how easily important traffic can be missed. Good to hear it'll scan between systems. I guess in a way that's kind of like roaming...

Status
Not open for further replies.