• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Icom F21-GM not receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrylking

I know this is a long shot, but before I put this radio on ebay for parts or repair, I thought I'd ask: I have an Icom F21-GM HT that will only receive when the monitor button is pressed, i.e., the carrier squelch will not open. Mysteriously, it also won't receive when the squelch level is reduced to the point where noise is heard and the squelch appears to be off. The monitor button has to be pushed in, regardless of the squelch setting. I have checked and re-checked to make sure I don't have CTCSS or DCS tones turned on. Also, I bought a programming cable and downloaded the CS-F11 software in the hope that I could re-set something, but I can't get the software to recognize the radio. Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
F21-GM's are not PC programmable. If you are sure you are hitting it with the correct CTCSS/DCS, then something has failed. Unfortunately the repair cost exceeds the replacement value.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I'd recommend doing some research on the programmability of these. It's been many years, but I do recall they could be programmed as a standard F-21. I don't recall the exact procedure, it's probably still out there floating around on the web. Specifically search on the term "reserve" or "maker reserve" and "Icom F21". That should give you what you need.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
F21-GM's are not PC programmable. If you are sure you are hitting it with the correct CTCSS/DCS, then something has failed. Unfortunately the repair cost exceeds the replacement value.

Actually, they can be programmed via PC…they are true F21 radios with an addition piece of firmware. I had one of my GMs running down in the amateur band…I think I had to use Reserve to override the FPP setting a though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerrylking

Thanks, all, for responding. From what I could gather about the Maker Reserve menu, you have to be able to upload the radio information to your PC, first. Unfortunately, the CS-F11 software won't recognize my radio. I've checked to make sure I am indicating the correct COM port, and Device Manager says my Prolific serial interface cable is working correctly The driver for the cable seemed to install correctly from the provided CD, and I tried two different versions of the driver. Device Manager says my cable is working properly. So, I guess it's time to throw in the towel and move on. Too bad, because the radio looks brand new. Thanks again, responders, for your suggestions. K7JLK

Project25_MASTR

Thanks, all, for responding. From what I could gather about the Maker Reserve menu, you have to be able to upload the radio information to your PC, first. Unfortunately, the CS-F11 software won't recognize my radio. I've checked to make sure I am indicating the correct COM port, and Device Manager says my Prolific serial interface cable is working correctly The driver for the cable seemed to install correctly from the provided CD, and I tried two different versions of the driver. Device Manager says my cable is working properly. So, I guess it's time to throw in the towel and move on. Too bad, because the radio looks brand new. Thanks again, responders, for your suggestions. K7JLK

You tried changing the PL tones using the FPP method?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Tell us more about the programming cable you are using. Is it an Icom original, an after market, or is it one designed for a different radio that fits?

Check to make sure there isn't any crap inside the jacks.
Try pulling the cable out just a hair and see if it works.
Fully charged battery on the radio?

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
No Joy.

Like new F21-GM, still in plastic and box.
Genuine Icom OPC478 DB-9 serial, and genuine Icom OPC478U USB.
100% battery, new and fresh off the charger.
Icom CS-F11 V1.2 (Reserve and non-reserve)

Twist, push, pull, and flex the 3.5mm in all directions (I've been a Icom dealer over 10 years).

CS-F11 reports no connection in all cases, multiple times.

To verify, a plain F21 reads and writes instantly.

The IA B2B knowledge base does not show any software version for the F21-GM.

I suspect that since the F21-GM is certified as FCC Part 15 instead of Part 90, the FCC required that no user programming be enabled except for the "Vulcan Mind Pinch" field CTCSS/DCS setup. The options list does not show a programming cable or software.

Are you sure that you are not using one of the first 8 channels in duplex mode?? https://icom.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/555/kw/f21

I tried calling one of my deep-Geek contacts in Kirkland; Icom is closed today for the holiday.

Sorry.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There's only one FCC id for all the F-21 variants (F21, F21s, F21-BR and F21-GM) It shows approvals under FCC parts 22, 74, 90 and 95A.
There may be a firmware variation between the sub models. It's been a long time since I was heavily into GMRS, but I do recall that there was a way to make an F21GM fully programmable. Maybe they released an updated firmware that fixed this.
Also, I do know that Icom software is picky about the firmware version of the radio. Might be worth trying some different/older versions of software, but I think they usually give a different error when this is the issue.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
There's only one FCC id for all the F-21 variants (F21, F21s, F21-BR and F21-GM)

I was going by the compliance notice on the front of the "Instruction Manual' which says Part 15.

I seem to have every other old software version on my server, but no CS-F11 older than the latest V1.2. The IA B2B only lists CS-F11 V1.2. Icom just re-worked their Knowledge Base, and other model variations show multiple software version. Since the F21-GM has been out of production for a while they may have intentionally omitted older versions. I'll query support.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Just an update:

CS-F11ADJ will communicate with my F21GM but CS-F11 V1.2 will not. That rules out a connection issue.The dealer KB only shows CS-F11 V1.2 and nothing earlier. Looks like trying other sw versions will have to wait until tomorrow.

Anyone have CS-F11 V1.1 or V1.0 that they can try out on an F21GM?

Another windmill to tilt at...

Project25_MASTR

Just an update:

CS-F11ADJ will communicate with my F21GM but CS-F11 V1.2 will not. That rules out a connection issue.The dealer KB only shows CS-F11 V1.2 and nothing earlier. Looks like trying other sw versions will have to wait until tomorrow.

Anyone have CS-F11 V1.1 or V1.0 that they can try out on an F21GM?

Another windmill to tilt at...

I've never had a problem doing mine with 1.2.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Not doubting that others can clone F21GM's with CS-F11V1.2 but my inside contact at Icom says they've never been able to do it, and not for lack of trying. The F21GM was built as a simple it-is-what-it-is radio, whose firmware allows for alignment but did not include cloning upload/download capability.

I asked Icom about a firmware flash either to a different F21GM version, or a Standard F21. There is only one known US release of both firmwares (not saying that there aren't other releases that DO allow F21GM cloning that didn't get sent to US tech support). That earlier firmware may exist, but is different in the radio I'm playing with (SN 02019xx).

That begs the question: Those of you who can clone F21GM's with CS-F11 V1.2 have something different than a standard new out of the box F21GM and standard V1.2 cloning software.

The question of the day: If you can, what is different? What serial number radio, firmware and/or software combination makes it possible? Are you sure it is a factory condition F21GM?

Did some Geek somewhere develop a hack?

Or, are some serial number ranges different from others?

Or, the radios being cloned are actually regular F21's with a GM-emulation program loaded. Those radios may still be able to be field programmed for talkaround and CTCSS changes... or not. (CS-F11 "Clone | Info" screen does not show serial numbers, and anything in the comment field is programmable in CS-F11.)

Or earlier-than V1.2 CS-F11 software can talk to some F21GM's.

Or, there is a hex-edit and loading program out there that unlocks the F21GM and changes the whole picture. That could be an individual, or a distributor applied package.

Or, something else entirely.

So, bottom line is that some of us can't, and would really like to know, IN DETAIL, how those of you who can are doing it.

WHAT IS IT??

Again, this is not a connection or port issue. I CAN access my F21GM using the CS-F11ADJ Rev1.0 program.

Last edited:

Project25_MASTR

It may have been that I simply wrote (forced a new codeplug) into the GM from a regular 21. I honestly don't remember anymore.

jeatock

Premium Subscriber
Actually, they can be programmed via PC…they are true F21 radios with an addition piece of firmware. I had one of my GMs running down in the amateur band…I think I had to use Reserve to override the FPP setting a though.

Can't overwrite a F21GM, even in reserve. I tried.

byers136

With the CS-F11version that I am using (version 1.2), to program my F-21GM radios.....

I need to Click "Help"

Then Click "About"

Then Type "Manufacture" (must be a capital "M" or it won't work).

Then be sure and click "Clone", and then "Read" before anything else.

Seems to work great, but I don't have the experience or knowledge about radios to know for sure.

jhiggz

From byers136: With the CS-F11version that I am using (version 1.2), to program my F-21GM radios.....

I need to Click "Help"

Then Click "About"

Then Type "Manufacture" (must be a capital "M" or it won't work).

Then be sure and click "Clone", and then "Read" before anything else.

Seems to work great, but I don't have the experience or knowledge about radios to know for sure.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above message from byers136 is the HOLY GRAIL for programming these Icom F21GM talkies using CS-F11 ver1.2. I have been looking for this information for over 2 years! It works!!!! The F21GMs are a superb HT, Thank you byers136.

Status
Not open for further replies.