• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Can FR4000 be set to run at 25W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeMan2

I currently have a GR1225 running UHF at 25W and it works, as programed, for what I need. There are some program changes I would like to try, but unfortunately I am afraid to modify the program for fear of messing up the only repeater I have. I have read it is possible to brick those if your not careful.

I may have the opportunity to get my hands on a FR4000 which I understand runs 50W continuous. I am considering getting the FR4000 to have a spare (or replace the GR1225) and allow me to mess with either one without fear of being without something. I also don't want to be any "louder" than I have to be, but the FR4000 appears to only have the option of 50W (H) or 10W (L). Is it possible to set it at say 25W?

I have looked at the service manual and I suspect that in order to do that I would have to go into adjustment mode and set either A06 HW POWER (high power) or A06 LW M POWER (low power) to a value that reads ~25W on a power meter.

Is that correct? Is there another way to set/run the FR4000 at 25W?

Thanks

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I looked through the manual's procedures and it sure doesn't give any indication that what you want is possible. Well, not without breaking out the "Golden Screwdriver" at least... :)

LakeMan2

I looked through the manual's procedures and it sure doesn't give any indication that what you want is possible. Well, not without breaking out the "Golden Screwdriver" at least... :)

Thanks, I looked through the manuals and did not see a normal way of doing this either through standard programming. The service manual does suggest that this can be done fairly easily by adjusting the power output for the H or L settings in the software through the service mode. It looks like it could be done without any hardware mod. What I am not sure of is if I adjust the power output through the service mode, will anything else be negatively affected? I have a power meter so I could easily do that, but if I do that I want to avoid needing a complete re-tune at 25W. I do not have the equipment or experience to do a complete re-tune.

Thanks

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
See the attached set mode adjustment. All you need is a watt meter

Attachments

• FR3000 Repeater Set Mode Adjustment.pdf
    106.3 KB · Views: 565

LakeMan2

Thank you very much! That looks like a better way to do it rather then through the Adjustment Mode Access. I am not quite sure why you can adjust power in both those places (Set Mode, and Adjustment Mode), but Set Mode looks like it might be a better way of doing what I want.

Just out of curiosity, where did you get that document? I searched the web and still can't find it.

Thanks again!

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
That is directly from Icom. We are a dealer for them and have 20+ FR4000s, some of which are being used with an external PA and requires certain output power to drive the amp. Each repeater is a little different so a power level of lets say 60 may not be the same on another unit, best bet would be to have a watt meter with a dummy load and adjust as desired.

BTW, the FR4000 is a great machine.

LakeMan2

Thanks again. I did end up getting one. The duplexer is tuned and its programed. Putting it in service this weekend. I am debating if I should get a backup FR4000. As previously mentioned, I have a GR1225 which I was going to regulate as my backup, Not though, I suspect I may find the FR4000 superior and may not want to go back to the GR1225 at all. The place I bought the one as a few more right now so I could pick up another one.

My question is, ICOM dealer aside, any experience or comments on GR1225 vs FR4000? In my research I did not find a lot comparing those two.

LakeMan2

I have seen that said a number of times of the PA on the GR1225, but that is the first I have seen that said of the FR3000/4000. I am glad you did though. I planned on running it at 25W anyway, but I was thinking I could run it at 50W if I needed to since it is rated 100% duty cycle at 50W. I guess rated and reliable lifetime are two different things...

70cutlass442

Premium Subscriber
From a programming and feature standpoint, I really like the FR3/4000. That being said, I too have replaced parts in ours. If you're going to run it at 25 watts you will be just fine. The GR1225 is also not a bad setup, but I would prefer the Icom based on by reasons above. I am also a big Moto fan so no bias here.

LakeMan2

For what it is worth, I found the Set Mode Adjustment very easy to use. It was easy enough to dial in a different power level. That worked great.

Thanks

W5EVH

I have replaced a LOT of PA modules on the FR3000/FR4000s. The heat sinking is really not adequate on them. I do not recommend running them above 25 watts. They'll do 50...but not for long.

Is there any better module than the SC-1323 for replacement? I need to replace mine. Any sources?

W5EVH

Also, would it recommended to switch to the UHF Low band module? 443.300MHz
S-AU27AL (ICOM) / SC-1322

If so, is it a drop in a go or does it require adjustment/alignment?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The GR1225 is fool proof for the most part. It's regular 1225 RSS. Needs a 32 bit OS to program though. I regularly program them in Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro via a USB serial adapter.

Reminds me of the MSS I did some tower work for once upon a time who had no clue the 1225 RSS was available on Window release…XP no less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.