• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ICOM F1020 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an old ICOM F1020-2 in the garage today, was curious if anyone knew if they could still be programmed or could point to someone locally in Ohio that may be able to do it?

12dbsinad

I found an old ICOM F1020-2 in the garage today, was curious if anyone knew if they could still be programmed or could point to someone locally in Ohio that may be able to do it?

Sure, they absolutely can still be programmed. The CPS is DOS based. I run it along with many others on an old IBM laptop that has been strictly used for programming for many years. I, however am not in the Ohio area.

The 1020 and 2020 are still great performing radios, and built to last!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
These are older radios, I owned an F2020 UHF back in 1999 or so, used it on 70cm, GMRS and for work stuff.
At the time, they were good radios for the price. They'll do remote head configuration, if you can find the remote head kits, there was also an 160 channel upgrade chip for them.

I don't recall the exact model number for the programming cable, but it's unlikely you can find them new direct from Icom anymore. You'd probably have better luck searching E-Bay. It's the same cable that programs the Icom F-420, F-320 radios (I was running those too).

Programming software is probably out there floating around in the ether if you did a google search. Somewhere I've probably got the old 3.5" floppy disk for it.

The programming software runs under DOS. I never had an issue running in a DOS window on a Windows 95 laptop.

Programming software is pretty straightforward and easy to use.

12dbsinad

I don't recall the exact model number for the programming cable, but it's unlikely you can find them new direct from Icom anymore. You'd probably have better luck searching E-Bay. It's the same cable that programs the Icom F-420, F-320 radios (I was running those too).

OPC-478 with the OPC-592 adapter. Still factory available from Icom.

PACNWDude

Great radios, still use several F1020 VHF and F2020 UHF ones myself. Others have said what is needed already. There are some accessory cables and modules that can be added for features like encryption as well.

These were common in taxis in my area. I ended up with several new old stock about 2006 and sold several online. eBay is a great source for the cable, software and option boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.