• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

OPC-617 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5KVV

All, I have a couple of Icom 1020-2 mobiles and a CAT 200 repeater controller sitting on the shelf collecting dust. What I'd like to do is build a small backup repeater for the radio club. Something to throw in the truck and run up to a repeater site should one of our "real" repeaters go down. On low or medium power with proper cooling, the 1020's are quite robust.

Question is: Can anyone confirm the OPC-617 pin out is standard on all OPC-617 compatible radios? I have used numerous IC-F221's as link radios with great success, but this is my first repeater build using Icom mobiles.

Conversation on the subject is encouraged.

de W5KVV

12dbsinad

Pins 1020/2020 OPC-617

1) DIM (Backlight control input)
2) PAAF (AF output)
3) DISC (Discriminator Audio)
4) IN (AF input for a terminal unit)
5) PTT (PTT control input)
6) HORN (Grounded when RX a specific call)
7) PAAF- ( Ground for PAAF)
8) DISC- (Ground for terminal output)
9) IN- (Ground for terminal input)

Here are the Pin-outs... should be the same as the 121/221, and the rest that use the 617. But at any rate, this list is specific to the 1020 OPC-617.

W5KVV

Excellent. That's exactly what I needed.

Thank you for the info.

Just out of curiosity.... has anyone attempted building a light duty repeater out of the 1020-2's ? I'd like to know what if any board modifications need to be done. I'm having a hard time tracking down a service manual for these older Icom rigs. Seems like the 1020's are almost forgotten.

Last edited:

12dbsinad

Just out of curiosity.... has anyone attempted building a light duty repeater out of the 1020-2's ? I'd like to know what if any board modifications need to be done. I'm having a hard time tracking down a service manual for these older Icom rigs. Seems like the 1020's are almost forgotten.

I built a few some years ago, out of 2020's (UHF). I remember having issues with the VSWR fold down circuit causing crackling noise on TX even with near zero reflected power. They had issues with this (at least on the UHF band) and disabling the circuit cured it. I am not sure if the VHF version suffered from this, but I don't ever recall a 1020 having this problem. Somewhere I have notes on this.. (I think).

Other than that, no board mods are needed. Get some muffin fans to blow on the heat sink and set to low/med power. The lower the better especially if its a rag chew machine. They a built like a tank and have a good heat sink compared to today's 45W mobile radios.

Somewhere I also do have the service manual, in my ever growing pile of radio stuff.

W5KVV

12dbsinad I appreciate the info. I agree on the build quality of these older radios. That big heat sink will really help dissipate the heat.

I'm a firm believer in the muffin fans. I have a 140mm fan ready to go on the TX radio. It moves a ton of air for the size. Should keep the TX side happy at the mid power setting.

I will keep an eye on the TX radio and see if it suffers from the VSWR issues like the UHF rigs.

Thanks again.

W5KVV

12dbsinad: I have my repeater built and ready to go. Problem is I get no COR from pin 6. I have my controller set up for active low COR, but the RX radio just will put pin 6 to ground on RX. I've tried several different radios and no dice.

Everything else is working fine. Audio from the CAT200 to the TX radio is there, PTT is working, just no COR.

Pin 6: "Grounded when RX a specific call" I would have thought this translated to "Goes to ground on RX" but no that word "specific" has me wondering. Is there something in the programming that makes this call specific? In the 2/5 tone settings maybe??

Or possibly I need to program the radios in PMR .... They're currently programmed in LMR.

Any help is appreciated.

Matt

Last edited:

W5KVV

Thanks! I downloaded it from them a while back. Only place online I could find it.

It would be really handy if this forum would let you go back and edit posts.......

I meant to say pin 6 on the RX radio will NOT sink to ground during RX.

I believe it's in the programming. The PRM portion has quite a few more programming options than the LMR version.

W5KVV

Well, I could not get pin 6 to do anything. I tried & tried.

Found a workaround. I found a pad on the board that was active low with PL logic. Ran the wire for pin 6 to the board and gave it a shot of Kester. All good now.

Status
Not open for further replies.